1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete The 'R' Series By Regulus - T - HP/NT

Discussion in 'Romance' started by Antivash, Sep 15, 2005.

1. cazten

cazten Slug Club Member

..... Like i said, Harry can go dark because Tonks leaves him, and it does not need to be over Leon. I never implied Leon was the way it would happen. She can die, get pissed at him, screw another "non leon" guy, go dark herself. Doesn't matter, apparently we're both on the same page even though we didn't get the message through.

Got a link to his forums?

2. Jeff

Jeff Third Year

Last edited: Dec 15, 2006
  3. Theophany

Theophany First Year

Honestly, I tried to read this story. I truly did. I got to Hogwarts, and with the introduction of Leon, I felt the story was heading into "omganime" land. The place where teenagers put in lookalikes of their favorite anime characters, make them best friends with Harry, and expect us to take everything in stride.

Not only did Leon throw me, but the story was plodding. I made it to chapter 12, and when there had still been no major plot developments other than Harry going to Hogwarts and interacting with F&G, I couldn't stand it any longer. The author's writing (descriptions, characterization, descriptions via showing versus telling) just make it almost a chore to read.

If someone can tell me that the story picks up a major plot or something of the sort in chapter 13 or 14, I may consider revisiting it, but without anything happening to focus the story, I just feel like the author was writing something to keep his readers happy with something to read rather than writing for the story.

4. Heleor

Heleor EsperJones DLP Supporter

Honestly, from what I remember of Goblet, Leon really becomes a background character. From his sneak peek at Order, there are a few chapters about him, that shows that he isn't abandoned, but the story is about Harry foremost.

I personally liked the graveyard scene in Goblet, and there should be two really fun scenes in Order that I really AM looking forward to - One in Chapter 6, and one later, where it's Harry vs. Bellatrix.

And yes, I believe this post deserves the bump, as the story is definitely going to get darker. I don't see why it's in the romance category, after seeing the outline on his forums.

5. Kai Shek

Kai Shek Supreme Mugwump

Unfortunately, this is true for the first book. He was writing for his fans, and during the second book, he realized it. He redid about half the second one, and now refuses to look at his reviews, because he feels that it will effect him unconciously.

They are getting increasingly good the more Harry grows up. If you can handle major fluff in the last two books, than I greatly suggest you try to read it again. Get through the first book and the second, and you shouldn't have trouble with the third.

6. yojorocks

yojorocks Seventh Year

Between the darker twists in the later parts posted so far and the romance, I have to say that I'm starting to follow this fairly closely. Harry seems to be walking the razor's edge between going truly Dark and being a Grey wizard (light intentions but some dark magic). I personally want to see him start looking into some of the more destructive necromatic spells... Him trying to dismember Moody was friggin awesome.

On that note, I'm really surprised by how far he was able to stretch out the romance. Nearly all fics these days that start in first year have Harry dating (insert author's preferred ship here) by mid second to early third year and shagging them senseless by mid third year. Being able to stretch the official dating to mid/late third year and getting into a serious relationship fourth was a nice change, esp with them acting as kids, not as horny 17yearolds in 13yearold bodies. The progression is superbly done.

I am quiet surprised on how Regulus dealt with the imbedded Horcrux, forcing the merger like that, but I really liked the idea of Harry becoming what Voldemort envisioned himself being before he was twisted by the dark arts. I think it would be great to have Voldemort defeated only with the savior being what Riddle originally idealized.

Regardless, 4/5 for a superb series.

7. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

In some ways they are, but then in others, they are getting worse.

I used to love this series. I believe I was one of its biggest fans on this site when it first started and defended it somewhat. Now, however, this has turned into my biggest disappointment. If we had an award for "Disappointment of the Year", I'd have to give it to Regulus' Fourth installment.

It no longer contains a lot of fluff, but dangerous levels of the stuff. The romance has gotten so out of control that it hi-jacked several chapters and devoted them to itself. I couldn't believe what I was reading at some points. Where had the dark, cynical Harry Potter of three chapters ago gone too? Now he's planning some huge 'I-love-you-Tonks' speech for the Yule Ball, which a whole chapter devoted itself too. Then he buys her ring which would cost more than 150,000 pounds, if you use the exchange rate of 1 galleon = 5 pounds. It's madness.

In-between all this romance, there are good things, however. Like Cedric putting up more of a fight then being tortured before death. Harry's new ways of completing the tasks. The few times where Harry snaps and uses everything he can to win, be it dark spells or underhanded tactics. Harry blowing that bull-man to pieces.

But it just doesn't overpower all the romance. It's sickening, unrealistic and boring. The build up was realistic, I'll give him that. But as soon as they got together, 'officially', the concept of building a relationship just flew out the window.

The 'Snake Pit' reminds me of several other stories where Harry has his own little house inside the castle. 'The Nest' was cool. Just a small place to hang out, with a few chairs. Now he has his own Great Hall and Prefect Bath. Please.

OotP-R: Now, the fifth one is out. It's started surprisingly well, but so did GoF-R. Dudley losing his soul was a nice twist, as was Harry actually standing up to the Dursley's, finally. I was looking forward to that. Truly standing up to them.

Soon as he gets to the Tonks house, however, the mush returns. It wasn't that bad, but the way Harry and Tonks talk just irritates the hell out of me. The dialogue just sounds cheesy when you say it aloud.

Anyway, I hope this good start carries on.

Credit goes to Shuujaku for reminding me that the fifth story was out. :D

8. Kai Shek

Kai Shek Supreme Mugwump

Well, I guess I am going to have to defend at least a few aspects of the story. But believe me, defending them all, well, that would just be a chore.

The fluff, yeah, I agree, it does seem out of place when Harry is all mushy the moment after he seriously injury's a dragon without mercy. But, I think thats the point. Tonks is suppose to be his anchor, the only thing keeping him sane and merciful.

I think the main problem is because of the change in Harry. If Harry was a romantic through the whole story, the romance wouldn't seem so bad. actually, its pretty good compared to other Harry/Tonks stories. But he's not, he only opens up to Tonks, and to anyone else, he is a danger.

The ring...The bloody ring. At first, I was disapointed that Harry was going to flaunt money that he never had, and then, well, I wasn't. The ring is suppose to be something of an early engagement ring. With how rich Harry supposedly is, 80,000 or so pounds isn't to much to spend on the woman you love.

Now, the snake pit, I can't understand. I don't like it. If he wanted a secret room, use the damn chamber of secrets, there is just no way there is another room in Hogwarts protected by parseltongue. I understand his reason for it. A group of people he can trust in his own headquarters, but its to unrealistic. Atleast he described the entrance in detail, rather than saying that he found a large room with anything they could ever want contained inside. I want to know why he didn't just use the room of requirements.

The dailogue can be cheesy yes, which is why I skim the dialogue, and read the discription, it actually reads better. =)

9. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

The thing is, what 14 year old knows they are in love? It's just crazy. I wouldn't be surprised if, in the next story, they start thinking of names to give to their children. It could have waited another year or three.
    I understand that, but the way he just switches around her... it's like he is bi-polar or something. Hm. Bi-polar Harry doesn't sound like a bad idea...

10. Jeff

Jeff Third Year

Regulus has never actually stated the reasoning behind the love but I think it can be justified.

His Harry (just like canon!Harry) has never experienced love, or any other feeling relating towards it, instead of having Harry meet Hagrid, he meets another kid his age who takes him and and takes care of him (His Harry was extremely mistreated in the story).

Tonks and Harry grow to become friends and feelings begin to stir, and they grow. Since Harry never actually got to feel what love was, he automatically assumed it was love.

I am not saying I agree with the excess sap, but he seems to have a weak point with this whole love concept.

Was the ring a bit excessive? Most definitely. I do think he could have waited a book or two more before pulling that out, but hey its his story.

The story is starting to get more dark, he has posted spoilers on his forums and such.

Except for the whole sap thing I feel his stories have improved since book one. (Although I could be a bit biased seeing as I am an extreme Honks shipper.)

11. The Sinner

The Sinner Looked into the void

Somewhere between the heretic and Un'aria
    Okay, so I just started reading this series.

Liking it so far, but will hold judgement until I'm done with the first story.

12. Jeff

Jeff Third Year

So its been roughly 4 months since the last post in the thread, yeah I know, but I am letting everyone know of a change in the story, that may or may not bring some people back towards this story.

Also remember, I am a biased reader of this story because of the Honks. Which is why I am a bit tweaked at the story atm.

Since the last update in this thread everything in the story so far was mostly goody good, right?

Not anymore. Things have taken a drastic turn in the story.

I'll put it in spoiler tags, so I don't get bitched at.

1) Harry is no longer with Tonks

2) Times have gotten darker, there are good descriptions of torturings

3) Woah, whats this? A plot?!

4) Regulus' has put a spin on Dementors, something I haven't seen before. Its quite good. He has had his Voldemort alter them.

5) Harry/Pansy, she was there for him when Tonks wasn't

6) Harry completely owns Bellatrix. (Although Regulus kinda got lazy and did the same thing to Bellatrix as she did to Sirius

7) Harry starts to think things through, yet still manages to ruin everything.

Things have gotten a bit angsty atm, but Regulus has said his Emo!Harry wouldn't last for long.

Although his Harry really shouldn't be considered emo, seeing as theres no parts where he rants on and on about how his life sucks. Granted there are a few small parts were he says a few things.

Anyways, hopefully some of you will tune back in to the story, if not, sorry for wasting your time. Just though I'd let everyone have a bit of an update.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2007
  13. Giovanni

Giovanni God of Scotch

I will give my review in Haiku form.

Insert Title Here

I read this bad story.

I was very disappointed.

This story sucks a lot.

14. Robo Jesus

Robo Jesus High Inquisitor

Your Haiku needs work
    Five, seven, five syllables
    strewn across three lines

15. Giovanni

Giovanni God of Scotch

Your middle line has 8 syllables ;)

16. Robo Jesus

Robo Jesus High Inquisitor

Let's check that.

Five is one syllable (one so far). Seven is two syllables (three so far) Five is one syllable (four so far). Syllables is three syllables. (Syl-la-bles). Four plus three equals seven. =/

17. Giovanni

Giovanni God of Scotch

Indeed, I was using phonetic instead of standard English. My mistake.

Your haiku still is
    a bad of plague upon this
    thread. The story sucks.

18. Andro

Andro Master of Death DLP Supporter

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/3658273/1/The_Citadel_of_Azkaban

Regulus started his version of the sixth book. I think Half-Blood Prince was too bad for him to stick to his naming convention. Citadel is off to a nice start, though it is only two chapters.

His author's notes are highly recommended. I can't imagine anyone burning his entire collection of HP books. Not very economic.

19. MysterioX

MysterioX Professor

Finally! finished reading the series till the 3rd chapter of COA.

My opinion…
    For the plot 2/5, overall 3/5 that out of respect for the fact the author managed to get so far and its not slash.

Had to force myself to read at some places and skipped at least a quarter of most chapters.

The romance, where the Author wrote at some point that it was his goal to write a slow and believable Harry/Tonks relation ship, was an utter failure. They were too mature from the very beginning. 4th year, Harry gets her a ring *why not? Its his girlfriend* she puts it on her ring finger and says that she does not miss the significance of that act and she’s ready!!! WTF!!! I donno about you guys but that’s just not how it happens.

I am a fan of stories where Harry fully utilises parseltongue and can accept the fact that there can be magical snakes with powers and brain. But to teach Harry occlumency within a week? Too much.
    Not to mention the fact that Harry can’t get a good nights sleep even with occlumency without Tonks. I don’t even want to start about Pansy.

Its all just really bad characterisation

Oh, BTW Ginny’s a parseltongue and I predict Draco/Ginny.

20. bjs1111

bjs1111 First Year

I liked the story, thought to plot was ok, up until the ring and the snake pit. I can understand the idea that the ring was bought because he thought he was in love, but, to me, it just sounds like a cheap plot device, and then he added a bunch of protective spells to it so that she "won't have to deflect most low level spells anymore". Bullshit. Just seems like a way to weasle out of writing some good action and fighting scenes.

The snake pit, however, caused me to lose interest in the story completely. Not only is the whole of Hogwarts not paying attention to the fact that 2 very close people of the opposite sex disappear almost every night, no one is doing anything about it. I mean, COME ON, someone out of all the people who attend Hogwarts surely would have noticed Harry and Tonks disappearing every night together, only to reappear again the following morning together.

That's all I have to say. 4/5. For continuing through all of the books to atleast 6, No Slash, and Book 6 is off to a promising start.