1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete The 'R' Series By Regulus - T - HP/NT

Discussion in 'Romance' started by Antivash, Sep 15, 2005.

1. The Mysterious Nobody

The Mysterious Nobody Auror

I think that the teeny petty romance fucked it all up. The story is good, yes, but one of the objectives was to bring the romance in a somewhat realistic manner, and it has failed badly at doing so. I'm the only one who sees his movement in ships in the fifth book a bit forced and for no reason at all?

Anyway, the first story was gold, and it went right downhill from there. At least for me. It's good, yes, and the author shows a great deal of work and compromise, but it isn't doing it for me right now...

2. MysterioX

MysterioX Professor

The fourth was his best work imo

3. cazten

cazten Slug Club Member

Well, i just caught up and read the three chapters of book 6 out so far. I gotta say it seems like things are getting really cool. He seems to finally be expanding out to his own original plot now which is pretty decent, the dementors seem like a really cool thing he's playing with. Not to mention in his authors notes he actually seems rather more excited branching out into his own stuff now so chances of abandonment seem low. Not to mention in the first chapter he was absolutely decimating and ruthless which i have been waiting a long time for. Bellatrix was a Vengeful prompted half mistake. Chapter one book six was a "Im going to have fun ripping your guts out".

He did mention in an authors note that Harry/Tonks would be coming around again repaired somewhere around 1/2 through book six. And with chapter 3 you can already slightly see signs of it with Tonks away from the Leon charm crap. Will have to wait and see how things go when it's back to Hogwarts.

It can still go either way, but if book 6 keeps up as it is it may i,n my opinion, become the best one yet.

4. Bug-Eyed Earl

Bug-Eyed Earl First Year

Hahaha- did you guys read his reaction to DH? He claimed he's going to make his stories better in canon, and he called JKR a fucking bitch for killing a character.

First off, if someone claims they're doing or are going to do much better than in canon, then I'm going to judge them more harshly. Fic writers rest on their laurels so much after a few good reviews (let's face it, if you cater a fic to a specific crowd, like HONKS, of course they're going to love it) that they forget they're providing free entertainment, which won't be judged the same way. And when one turns a much mroe critical eye towards fanfiction, especially judging whether or not it is publishable(disregarding copyrights), then 99.9% of the time the results are not good.

And as for his little meltdown about Tonks dying- what a fucking baby. He sounds like a potential bobmin. Both of bobmin's 2 versions of 6 and 7 featured very little main character death. It's the Kinsfire syndrome of making Harry as happy as possible by going easy on him, barring the occasional plot device and always having him be all emo over Sirius at teh beginning. But would Saving Private Ryan had been nearly as powerful had most of the squad, save for UIpham(because most fic writers only kill off the good cahracters tehy don't like) survived? BOO-hucking-HOO if your favorite character died.

Sorry to rant, but I kind of liked this series, and after reading Reg's meltdown I have to wonder now if he's a little nuts.

5. Samuel Black

Samuel Black Chief Warlock

I didn't think it was a meltdown at all. He just seemed pissed. I was, as well. I mean, okay, she killed Remus and Tonks, BFD, but the way she killed two main characters hacked me off. Didn't tell us how they died, he just walks in and sees them on the ground. I just thought she fucked that whole battle scene up.

6. PlacatedTurtle

PlacatedTurtle Backtraced

I reread all of the stories a week or so ago, and couldn't stand them.

The whole series seems to revolve around Harry being able to sleep. Everything that happens Harry complains about being tired then sleeps for 30 hours.
    Also, the fight with Tonks is the pettiest thing ever, and he gets together with pansy because he wants to be able to sleep.

I got through what has been written thus far, but don't think i will be reading anymore, it is far too slow. All they do is sit around in their own private room and bitch about things.

7. Augurey

Augurey Backtraced

more like "tl;dr Series" amirite?

8. Korisovra

Korisovra Headmaster

Personally, I find the whole "We're sleeping together but not banging" thing way out in left field. Teenagers, for christ's sake! Other than that, I find it an extremely interesting story with enough new inventions and twists to keep me entertained.

As for the JKR thing-a-ma-bob, she did a great job...up until HBP. Everything went downhill because she was trying to end it in a set number of pages instead of letting it go through a much smoother progression. (Goodkind, anyone?) She totally fucked up the battle scene at the end, and just started pulling pairings out of her ass. I never gave a damn one way or the other about pairings, hell, I like damn near all of them. ('cept for RW/HG, never work in a million years unless the putz becomes a sex *GOD*)

Anyways, I give this one a 5/5 for pure, (regrettably) non-smutty entertainment value. The twists and bits of oddity keep me reading.

9. Aerin

Aerin Seventh Year

I actually rather enjoyed this fic.

Certainly quite intriguing and engrossing.

As to your view on teenager's sleeping in the same bed platonically, sometimes you need comfort, not sex.

I rather enjoy all the plot deviating he's doing, and I much prefer this to canon.

I love Reg's latest chapter for CoA. Very gripping and intriguing, and sad.

Regards
    Aerin

10. Muttering Condolences

Muttering Condolences Card Captored and buttsecksed

Meh, it's not that unrealistic. They are good friends, they happen to share a bed. Andromeda is apparently very progressive, and Ted doesn't seem to give a shit (if he's in the sotry, can't remember).

Last edited: Feb 7, 2008
  11. Hari Seldon

Hari Seldon Groundskeeper DLP Supporter

Why do you keep Necroposting...

12. Lincos

Lincos Professor DLP Supporter

No, no you are not right.

I am actually still reading this, well waiting for updates on Citadel.

13. Karasu-sama

Karasu-sama Squib

I am a major fan of this series. Regulus is a man after my own heart to be sure. Fives out of fives and tens of tens.

14. JoJo23

JoJo23 Unspeakable

Meh. It was an average re-do story, but his original ones suck balls.

15. Korisovra

Korisovra Headmaster

You necro to tell us this? Just fucking die. Preferrably in a way that involves fire and intense heat.

On a side note, when is the last time Regulus updated?

16. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

Just recently, I believe -- a week ago or so. We're now two chapters into the last, seventh book. Regulus deserves credit for actually having a good chance of finishing all seven books, if nothing else. There aren't too many who achieve that.

Though I have to say, I liked Citadel. It's one of the better stories there are and I like it more than the redo-ones (1-5). Haven't yet started on Gauntlet, but I'll catch up on that later.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2008
  17. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

Haven't read it in about a year (waiting for him to finish) but this is one of my favourite series. 5/5

18. Jaba

Jaba Backtraced

The redneck infested area of Fl. Panhandle
    Was good all the way up to the beginning of book 5. After that to much romance and angst. Now I think the author is just trying to figure out a way to end the series, and by the looks of it it isn't going well.

19. kmfrank

kmfrank Denarii Host DLP Supporter

I agree.

This was one of my favorite series until book 5 ended. At that point it just got kinda fucked up. In the author's defense, though, the deus ex machina he's trying to use is better than the one in canon...

20. Kensington

Kensington Denarii Host DLP Supporter

I really really like the first four book of this series.

But when it hit book 5...maybe because I had been reading them non-stop, the Harry/Tonks drama annoyed me.

I think I'm going to wait until book 7 is complete for me to read the last 3 parts.