1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

The real reason why the Magic Mansion Trunk doesn't work.

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Zed, Feb 23, 2009.

1. IBG

IBG Seventh Year

Theres a little thing known as magic, which thwarts the entire premise of your post.

2. Nefar

Nefar Seventh Year

Either you managed to read all seven HP books without noticing the setting (a school where magic is taught along logical guidlines) or you meant to say "science" instead of "logic." A magical device that mimics the functions of a computer would be an inherently logical device. Logic encompasses more things than the sciences.

3. DarthBill

DarthBill The Chosen One DLP Supporter

I think that the truest reason that Harry shouldn't decide to live in a trunk is because every time he moves it, his mansion would get all shook up. Moody was shaking his trunk from the inside, and I assume that turning the Angelina would turn the inside as well.

It'd be worse than living on a fault line.

4. Randeemy

Randeemy Headmaster DLP Supporter

Rowling has said that Magic exists independently from the laws of physics, so disucssing it in relation to canon is futile

5. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I'm not so sure if magic in the HP universe is logical. It seems perfectly happy with contradicting itself, which is the antithesis of logic.

I think its probably better to say that magic works by a set of rules which aren't exactly the same as Muggle logic (though maybe similar in places) and so sometimes looks illogical from a Muggle point of view, but that it is nevertheless bound by rules.

6. BioPlague

BioPlague The Senate DLP Supporter

all these words hurting my brane

7. Alexeyy

Alexeyy Seventh Year DLP Supporter

I want to address the absurd notion that time should stretch when space is stretched. Zed, this lesson is for you. Take a sheet of paper and place it on the table. Measure the sheet's length and write it down. Take another sheet of paper and a bottle of glue. Place the second sheet on the table, the sheet's face that you don't like looks up. Smear with glue both ends of the second sheet along its width. Pick it up and stick one glued end at the centre of the first sheet (position it a bit to the left). Stick another glued end at the centre of the first sheet, but position it a bit to the right. Say "Paperum Transfigurantum" while imagining the paper's dimensions expanding and sprinkle the first sheet with the glue remaining on the brush. Measure the first sheet's length, it's now almost twice as long.

Retarded.

P.S. Oh, and Zed, just between us, I was kidding about time. The Paperum Transfigurantum charm stretches time as well. Quick, check it out: you just grew two years older. Too bad you missed your tenth birthday, eh?

Last edited: Mar 2, 2009
  8. Blaise

Blaise Golden Patronus

^Thar be failure in dis'm h'yar thread.

Yar.

9. Gabrinth

Gabrinth Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

Agreed.

Alexeyy, you're the retard. Reread the post, and then facepalm at your own stupidity. I'll give you a hint though, seeing as you're a dumb ass: his way requires magic.

10. CrashLTD

CrashLTD Fifth Year

^^ Yeah. And we all know how often she contradicts herself. I say we just take everything she declares with a grain of salt. :awesome

Ofcourse,
    so let's just agree that JKR logic = HPverselogic.

Rocks fall everybody dies.

11. Zed

Zed Third Year

You get an A for effort.

Also, I must be a god damned genius if I'm taking physics at eight.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2009
  12. Garrus

Garrus Groundskeeper DLP Supporter

Get physics out of mah magics.

I was wondering if anybody had used a trunk as a portal or something to their gringotts vault. Sort of like the Vanishing cabinets. That seems more convenient for the rich families that want to avoid traveling to Diagon Alley every time they want some cash. Also you could bring your trunk with you and live in your bank vault. Of course that has its own issues but it could be done right a couple times before it got old. I've never seen it done before and that way you avoid the McMansion trunk cliche.

Just a thought.

13. Rhapsody Belle

Rhapsody Belle Sixth Year

This doesn't seem to happen with magically-expanded houses or tents, or even cars, and all of those are fairly standard canon fare.

14. Perspicacity

Perspicacity Destroyer of Worlds ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

Where idiots are not legally permitted to vote
    High Score:
    I've stayed out of this thread mainly because I find discussions that take seriously the attempt to explain magic with physics annoying. It smacks of angels dancing on the head of a pin and takes the fun out of a fantasy story.

I will say, though, that your logic is overly simplistic; stuffing extra space into the trunk does not necessarily imply stuffing more time in (whatever that's supposed to mean). Even in special relativity, a moving frame can lead to different behavior to intervals in space and time: lengths contract (rulers shrink), yet at the same time, time dilates (clocks slow).

15. CrashLTD

CrashLTD Fifth Year

QFT.

By the way, I just attended this lecture by an astrophysicist. I'm not sure if I got it right but he said that after the Big Bang Space, Time and Energy coexisted in a manner that each one affected the other two. After Big Bang, Space expanded over Time by converting Energy. So going by that logic (if there is one to be made out of all this discussion), time could be affected by Energy or Space at the moment either of these two changed. So by expanding Space in the Mansion Trunk, time could only speed up/slow down the moment the trunk was expanded and not after.

But as I said, all this discussion is pretty much useless since JKR logic = HPverse logic and logic =/= JKR logic.