1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete The Rebel and the Chosen by chelseyb1010 - T

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by Scott, Apr 9, 2011.

1. Starwind

Starwind Headmaster

Hermione telling Tonks about them was a bit... iffy? Without even asking Harry...

Also, Tonks says get rid of the potions book, and he obeys? I was hoping for a fairly competent Harry but by getting rid of that we may not have him even use Sectumsempra, and I don't think we will see him throw around Unforgivables, either. :(

2. Knyght

Knyght Alchemist

So Harry throwing around the Dark Arts makes him competent? And you do realise that using Unforgivables isn't considered to be a good thing?

3. Starwind

Starwind Headmaster

No, I just figured the use of the Sectumsempra removed that barrier from his mind about using dark curses more than anything else - my own opinion, so other people probably don't share it. =)

Aren't they? :p

4. Oruma

Oruma Order Member

I've been following this story because I don't read a lot of Harry/Tonks story but really this is...meh. Now I keep up only for the sake of seeing it through. The earlier part, before they get together's slightly better. 2.5/5 for me, round to 3 for now.

It's possible, seeing how freely he used the Imperius in the last book.

5. Relic

Relic High Inquisitor

I like this fic, it's upbeat, very light and even if it includes parts of HBP that I didn't really care for it's not a chore to read by any means for me.

I really like all the characterizations in this fic, it really is the author's strength. Everyone is believable and real, though Tonks seems to be devoid of flaws. I guess she didn't believe Harry at first, but that isn't a real flaw.

That said, it doesn't really belong in the library, in my opinion. It's canon rehash with Harry/Tonks, however well characterized.

Solid 3/5, good recycling bin material.

6. naidrodro

naidrodro Fourth Year

Harry/Tonks is by far my favorite pairing. Unfortunately I found this to be a pretty woeful example of it(That being said, there are not many good examples, much to my dissapointment. Even summer of change has aged badly.)

Fic is basically
    "I like Tonks"
    "I like Harry, but I can't go there"
    5 minutes later
    "I went there"
    "High five!"

Last edited: May 8, 2011
  7. aredehl

aredehl Squib

Harry/Tonks is also one of my favorites, I agree, it is practically impossible to find a good fic with that pairing.

I'd give this one a 2/5.
    I like the relationship building, but it lacks of plot, it' too close to the canon for my taste, it's basically OotP & HBP with Tonks in every scene.

8. Starwind

Starwind Headmaster

Hence the reason Tonks seems like she's replacing Harry as the main character.

The update on this one was iffy at best, imo. Tonks just happens to find Harry's friends and lead them.

9. Knyght

Knyght Alchemist

I'm really annoyed by the fact that the author practically apologized that only half the chapter was direct canon. Honestly.:facepalm

10. kpjam

kpjam First Year

It's on okay story. My biggest problem is that it seems the author isn't really thinking about how the relationship really might effect the story. It's a re-write of the books with Harry having a real relationship instead of winning a ginger-prize. Which is okay for a read, but really mostly boring.

There's really no different conflicts or resolution. Especially after they decide that it's okay for her to be a cradle-robber. The scene with Tonks/Dumbledore earlier and the fire-side chat with Lupin and Mr. Weasley were effective made irrelevant in that they had no consequences.

2/5 for me.

11. Starwind

Starwind Headmaster

I'm just waiting for the next chapter in which where Fleur convinces Molly that she's right for Bill, Tonks will do the same for everyone regarding her and Harry.

12. Raining Ink

Raining Ink First Year

It's a pleasant enough read, but I don't think it's library-worthy. I waited to post because I thought for sure that further deviation from canon plot was in the works, but it seems that the author is content to let Tonks play around in every Order of the Phoenix scene without considering how the relationship would naturally alter the events from the books. Whoever called it a "rehash" was spot on. With the latest chapters, it seems clear that there's not going to be much difference between the upcoming bits of this fic and the plot of HBP either.

3/5, and I go back to waiting on the fic that will prove that well-done Harry/Tonks is actually possible.

13. Starwind

Starwind Headmaster

I agree with you, this is more a "romance fic" than anything else.

Though if you want good Tonks/Harry the best imo are Renogade Cause and there was one I read a while ago where Harry was expelled in OOTP and stayed at Headquarters, although it was humor, mostly.

14. aredehl

aredehl Squib

I am looking for some good Harry/Tonks fics to read, I prefer not strictly canon stories, does anyone have any recommendations?

15. Nooblet

Nooblet Sixth Year DLP Supporter

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix

Really sad that story is dead. This story seemed like a more serious version of that, but it has gone steadily down-hill since Sirius' death.

16. TrueBlueJP90

TrueBlueJP90 First Year

I liked this story right up until Harry and Tonks actually got together. From there it felt as if the story went sour, which is a shame. I really enjoyed the buildup, but the characterization fell short once they were together. At least to me. Still, it was enjoyable for awhile, and I'll check back in a few chapters to see if it regained its magic, but for now it sits at an average 3/5.

17. Knyght

Knyght Alchemist

Congratulations.:awesome

Yeah so, chapter update. I'm mightily tempted to post my first FF.net review of the year to tell this guy to actually diverge from canon from this point. Otherwise he deserves a kick in the balls.

And if he is actually a she then insert gender appropriate insult above.

18. Starwind

Starwind Headmaster

The aftermath of the reveal was just posted...

And the author stated a divergence from canon- although I'm getting the feeling that it will probably just be who goes with who in the Seven Potters thing, or Tonks joining them on the Horcrux hunt..

19. Jormungandr

Jormungandr Prisoner

I hope that there isn't going to be some 'love potion' bullshit going down, where Molly/Ginny tries to use it to disuade Tonks from Harry by slipping it into her tea, or something.

20. Nooblet

Nooblet Sixth Year DLP Supporter

Yeah I got that vibe at the end also.