1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete The Red Witch and the Nightmare Queen by Catasterism - M

Discussion in 'Review Board' started by RandyRanderson, Mar 9, 2023.

1. RandyRanderson

RandyRanderson Fourth Year

Title: The Red Witch and the Nightmare Queen
    Author: Catasterism
    Rating: M
    Genre: Fantasy/Horror
    Library Category: Dark Arts?
    Pairings: OC/OC
    Summary: The Cabal decried Pyrrha's course as doomed, so she went on alone. Upon an unnatural isle she found the haunting witch she sought to end, let free the unraveling bonds, and lost control. Escape was hardly the word for what followed when so little remained.
    Link: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/13098062/1/The-Red-Witch-and-the-Nightmare-Queen

I know that many here will not like this merely because it is a completely OC fic. The only references to the canonical Harry Potter sequence are historical references to what happened with Voldemort. The story does still take place in Britain and Ireland and so much of the story does still take place at Hogwarts.

The story is centered around an original character, named Pyrrha. Frankly, this character and the organization she is a part of are the weakest part of the story. Despite the author definitely intending to write the character as arrogant and overconfident in her abilities, I think the author doesn't quite give her enough consequences for her actions. She is part of an organization called the cabal, which is essentially a group of wizards that work together to further their own research aims. I did find it a little "wish-fullfillment" of sorts since the main character and the people in the cabal are so magically capable, it's a little silly.

The strength of the story, however, in my mind is the plot. It's pretty clear the author had an outline of the story before they started writing, as opposed to many other fanfiction authors, and it comes across. The magic is very flashy and the story is centered heavily around the use of magic and action scenes but as with the original Harry Potter books themselves, the resolution of the plot itself is very character driven.

The writing itself is good. I noticed few, if any, grammatical errors and it was quite pleasant to read. Overall, I'd rate it as 4.5/5, rounded to a 5. I consider it better than Alexandra Quick, and I know that Quick is a highly regarded OC story as well.