1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WIP The Song of the Trees by Tinn Tam - M

Discussion in 'General Fics' started by Raijin, Aug 4, 2006.

1. Nexus

Nexus Denarii Host

TIO if invisibility spells were so easy to learn why the fuck would an invisibility cloak be rare and valuable at all. Even Mad eye used it.

Harry has a vault full of money but it was never said how much. The fact that he is rolling in money that can support him for the rest of his life is a fanon cliche not something determined for sure.

And i dont know if you have something against parents but people tend to be attached to their parents stuff if the said parents are dead...

2. TheIllusiveOne

TheIllusiveOne Raptured to Hell

First of all, dipshit, do you even know anyone whose parents died before they were mature enough to remember them? Because I know quite a few, and not one of them is anything like Harry in this fic. My cousin's dad died when he was 5 months old, one of my best friends dad died when he was 4, and neither of them act like that. My friend lost one of his dad's watches a few years ago, and he was more upset by the fact that he lost the watch then the fact that it was his dads. Sure, they were their parents, so on prinicple they miss them, but they never fucking knew them. Both of them mostly 'miss' their fathers out of support and love for their mother, more then actually remembering the person.

Harry defeated Voldemort, buddy. I sincerely doubt he would have trouble casting difficult spells. And yes, I would be upset if my parents died, becuase I've known them for 17 years. And no, I wouldn't cherish a tie that belonged to my dad, nor anything materialistic he had for that matter, because it's fucking stupid. Memories of people you care about are far more important then the stupid bullshit they had when they were alive, and you can say I'm insensitive about this if you want, but I've had people I've cared about die before, and I was never attatched to anything they had, I was attatched to the person.

Yes, Harry, the wizard with magical powers should be afraid of fat powerless muggles stealing his clothes. This is probably the worst arguement in your entire post. I suppose I can understand your point in first through fifth year, but once the Order threatened them, Harry could do anything he wanted in that house and the Dursleys wouldn't do shit out of fear. There is no fucking way they'd take his clothes when all he had to do was mention the Order guard outside. And, as far as him being guilty, that is suppose to stop him from wearing hand me downs from his fat cousin? Ron's fucking clothes are newer then his. Stop reaching for bullshit reasons and stick to facts.

You're right about that, and honestly, everyone deals with death differently, and in canon Harry grew up knowing very little affection, so I can understand Harry missing his parents. Though, personally I think he really misses the idea of having parents then the actually people.

I never said it was, but that doesn't mean it cant annoy me. In fact, it's usually the little things that bother me in stories.

True.

As I said before, I believe he misses the idea of having parents more then the people his parents were as he doesn't know shit about them, but yeah, that's all true too.

Honestly, I'm not trying to be a dick, my original post was just that I hate seeing that stupid cloak all the time. Harry beat Voldemort, and when he's using the cloak all the time it seems like a handicap to me. I wasn't even trying insult the way he acted when it was destroyed or anything else, just more that I don't like the object itself. But then, when all ya'll start insulting me, I gotta defend my position. I really don't care too much, everyone is different, but when like 6 different people keep saying the same shit arguing with me, I'm not going to take that. At anyrate, I'd prefer not to reply again, as my position stands on this, for the most part.

3. Dark Lord Rostam

Dark Lord Rostam Button La Famiglia Midknight

In that thing you call a closet. Better watch out,
    Can we please get back to the story?

I e-mailed the author, and asked him to join here, so expect a new member in a few days.

He also told me, that the arrow won't kill Ron, but nothing good will come of it, and Hermione is also getting taken out of the story. Her role is going to be shrinking as the story shifts to Harry more. Lance, though, will be a constant background character.

4. liath

liath Seventh Year

Very fascinating fic. Though it does at times seem to lack something, I would still highly recommend it. I suppose the numerous OC's does irritate me slightly--but it isn't overbearing, which is certainly a relief. ^^ Over all, though, the story is excellent.

I've also asked Tinn Tam to join just recently (I know the author pretty well, as the person's translating my fic), and hopefully the invite will be accepted.

5. Lord Apophis

Lord Apophis Professor

I have only read the first 3 chapters at this time but I really like the story, especially how indiffrent Harry is.

6. Calysto

Calysto Guest

Well...

I know that I have just joined the forums...but this whole debate has raised some valid points on both sides, and I would like to add in some perspective with the absense of four letter explitives. No offense but swearing when enforcing a point makes the point seem less valid (since it does not seem to require articulate and/or educated speech to enforce) and the debater in question seem like a jerk. I read around that and I can understand the lack of logic in love for an object because it reminds you of someone you never really knew.

On the other hand, Harry did grow up with the Dursley family. And the parents of that family absolutely adored their "son" (where son is pronounced beached beluga). And then there were the Weaselys. Molly and co. were a happy and cohesive and loving family with wonderful parents: kind, accepting, loving, protective parents. It would be safe to assume that the apparent (note I saide apparent, I'm not taking sides) fact that all parents love their children would be ingrained into his young 11 year old mind. And the fact that the cloak has probably proved quite useful, possibly saving the lives of people he knew.

And maybe the cloak, as a reminder of pre-Voldemort times, holds sentimental value as a connection to a happier era and maybe even Sirius. We all should know that Harry was deeply affected by his death and anything remotely related to him would be treasured.

Then again I cannot claim to know what the author of the fic was thinking or exactly what they wanted to portray...but whenever we think of a reason it is also beneficial to be open to the possibility that the morer you think about it the more possibilities there are.

In my opinion, the scene was probably only used as drmatic irony. Reamus, one of James Potter's best friends had torn up his invisibility cloak. Just be glad Harry didn't mention it. We wouldn't Lupin to have jumped out of the Owlery right then and there, would you?

And yes, to get back to the fic, sorry, I had to get that off my chest, it is well written. Very well written. As in I read it through several times because I liked the writing style. And the plot. Not only does the author do an excellent job of blending with canon, they make the OC's seem almost non-OC-ish[/]. An excellent fic.

7. Tinn Tam

Tinn Tam Review Goddess Retired Staff

Hey, it's time I should show up in this thread...

I was a bit surprised by the whole argument about the Invisibility Cloak -- I didn't expect anyone to focus on that, to be honest. Of course I'm not going to repeat everything that has already been said about Harry caring about the Invisibility Cloak. I'd just add that I can understand why TheIllusiveOne cringed at the bit in the Hospital Wing, in chapter 5. It may be a bit overdone, but I couldn't resist the temptation. Besides, I do think Harry is attached to his cloak in the books.

I'll also add I have never heard about Invisibility Spells; we know Dumbledore can become invisible without a cloak, but the man's 150 years old, and a far better wizard than Harry.

Just for plausibility. How could he have kept his cloak on when he had a bunch of werewolves on his heels? And how could a cloak come up undamaged after being trampled on by a whole pack of bloodthirsthy beasts? I couldn't make the cloak miraculously come back in Harry's pocket or something; and I couldn't simply overlook the detail, as Harry had been using the cloak for the best part of the past two years: he was bound to worry about it sometime.

I was suddenly reminded of the loss of his Nimbus 2000, in third year, when I wrote this scene; it may have affected my writing. Sure, Harry's older, but the Cloak is way more precious than his first broom was.

I hope it settled the matter...

I'm happy to read that... I was a bit worried to hear from liath:
    But I know what he meant by that. Fics with too many OCs often get me confused -- though in that story, I didn't create that many OCs. The consistent ones are Lance Colman and Healer Parletoo. The others (Olibrius, Amy Redburn etc.) are just there to fill in the blanks. Gawain Robards isn't an OC, JKR did write he was the new Head Auror after Scrimgeour became the new Minister for Magic (HBP, "A Very Frosty Christmas"). Okay, I did fabricate him, since we only know his name and his job... But I tried to make all my OCs as different as possible, in order to make it easier...

Thanks for the great reviews, all of you, and sorry for the mistakes and weird phrasings you'll undoubtedly find in this post...

Last edited: Aug 19, 2006
  8. Master Slytherin

Master Slytherin Headmaster

This fic is remarkably well written. Most people with English as their first language could only hope to write as well as you do. The characterisations are spot on and the plot with the trees is intriguing and so original. However, after Chapter 5, I can't bring myself to read on and I'll tell you why.

Harry. He is too goddamn disabled. I'm not one of those people who says that Harry should be an invincible God but there's no need to go all Joe6991 on us and have him dicapitated in every way (okay, maybe that was an exaggeration). Firstly, he can't feel any physical or emotional pain which I thought was quite cool. But then he becomes a werewolf? AND can't use his right arm? That just took it too far for me.

But this is STRONGLY recommended for people who don't mind Werewolf!Harry. Personally, that's just not my cup of tea.

9. Tinn Tam

I had actually wondered if the werewolf "problem" (sweet understatement) wasn't coming too soon into the story; like, "too much"! However, the fact he can't use his right arm shouldn't have been counted as a major problem. It's just an effect of his wound, and he will retrieve the use of his arm soon enough (in chapter6, actually!).

As for the werewolf thing... It's a pity you stopped reading after chapter 5, since in chapter 6, that new problem of his turns out to be... not so much of a problem (sorry I can't be any clearer, but that would be too much of a spoiler). Besides, I'm coming back to the Forest in the following chapters, and that's when the story starts to be a little more coherent.

Anyway, I'm not forcing you to read (now that would be stupid from me to try to!) but still, I'm sorry you gave up.

Thanks for the review all the same (especially for what you said about my writing style and characterization *blushes*), I greatly appreciated it. :)

10. Master Slytherin

Master Slytherin Headmaster

I'll put my hands up and say I've been proven wrong. I continued reading because of your response and I'm glad I did. The werewolf thing turned out to be quite interesting. I'm not sure how I feel about Harry, Ron and Hermione and their perfect friendship - I have a feeling Harry would be less tha happy being cross-examined. Other than that, great! Can't wait for other character interactions.

By the way, I forgot to add something to the other review. Hagrid. You say you haven't been abroad. Hagrid has a strong Yorkshire-ish accent by the sounds of it in canon (confirmed by the films). How on earth can you do the regional accents? I'll tell you how: by doing it badly, to be brutally honest. It was a little more than annoying, actually, as I can hardly stand a Yorkshire accent done to perfection :) . In future, leave it out. I think you'll find that the majority of fandom readers prefer not to see the accent anyway. As for Fleur - you're the expert here as you and she are in similar situations :)

It's been a month since your last update so I'm guessing you've got writer's block or are busy in real life. Whenever you do bring out the next chapter, I'll be sure to read it.

11. Tinn Tam

Now. That's. SO. Great. :D

The perfect relationship will turn out, again, to be not-so-perfect in the next chapter (I swear I'm not doing it on purpose!!). Thanks for deciding to continue reading!

That'll teach me not to try to write about things I don't know. :axe:

I wrote Hagrid's accent without my copies of the books within reach, so I relied on my memory only. Turns out that was not a good solution. I'll try to find a copy of PS and fix it...

As for Fleur's accent, that's the one thing I'm sure to do correctly. :mrgreen:

Both. Writer's block and being busy. I'm trying to keep up four stories and two translations at the same time (so liath, be reassured, I am working :)). But I still managed to get 50% of the 8th chapter done. The other 50% will be less hard to write, I hope. After that, let's pray so that my Beta isn't on holidays in Sahara.

12. Haunted Warrior

Haunted Warrior Fifth Year

Nice new chapter. I liked the characterization of Ginny, I reckon you got her just right. And I have an overwhelming suspicion that the trees didn't want anyone to find out about what Harry truly is. I'm begining to like them :)

13. Tinn Tam

14. Lord Ravenclaw

Lord Ravenclaw DLP Overlord Admin DLP Supporter

Great job Tinn! You definitely kept me engaged and waiting for each bit I read. Just enough mystery to make the mind think. Excellent chapter. I definitely can't wait for more.

15. Xantam

Xantam Denarii Host

The new chapter was superb. I'm intrigued.

5/5

16. Ayreon

Ayreon Unspeakable DLP Supporter

This story is really interesting - in fact I was up till 4 am to read it completely and I had to get up again at 8 o'clock. ;)

I love good written mystery stories and the scene with the portraits of the old Headmasters of Hogwarts left me shivering in anticipation. :)
    In fact I'm a little disappointed that you already revealed the people working "behind the scene" and showed them. The suspense of not knowing what's in there in the old part of the forrest and just the knowledge of whispering, moving, strangely aware trees created a great atmosphere of mystery.

Thus far this story has become one of my favourite pieces of Fanfiction, especially since it's a different genre than the usual stories.
    I hope you can maintain the atmosphere and suspense when you start to reveal the secrets hiding in the forrest and about Harry. ;)

Keep up the good work and please update soon. :)

17. Tinn Tam

Thanks a lot for the reviews! That's good news, though I'm afraid I won't be able to write much more before quite a long time. I'll try, though. Two or three sleepless nights during the coming semester should be enough :).

I showed them, yes. Revealed them, I'm not sure. There are many things I still need to reveal about them. Besides, I felt that, if I didn't introduce them soon, the story would leave the little coherence it had.

Plus, you're merely assuming when you assert they dwell in the Forest. I said no such thing, though they obviously are closely related to the Forest. But what isn't, in this story?

I certainly hope so, too. Thanks for the review.

Rostam: I'll try to update Symphony for Quartet during the very short holidays following my exams, which are on January the 23rd and 24th.

18. MadBiologist

MadBiologist Second Year

I finally finished reading all the chapters written so far. I think it is a very original fanfiction; never has the Forbidden Forest been used so well before as far as I know. You also gave a nice twist to the Harry-becomes-a-werewolf cliché. I liked the mystery touch in the fic; how you introduce some enigmas and resolve them bit by bit, while keeping us guessing. I also like your writing style; it kept me on the edge of my seat, especially in the last chapter.

The only thing that bugged me was the Cruciatus curse. First, I can't see Harry being able to run while being subjected to the curse by Bellatrix and the others. Then, from what I understand from the book, one must point his wand at his target all the time in order to keep him under the spell. I can't see how Malfoy could be pointing his wand at Harry all the time during two full months.

In the end, I still think it is an excellent fic and it deserves a 5/5. I would tell you to hurry with the next chapter, but I know that you are busy with your studies.:p

19. Tinn Tam

Ahh. I knew someone would point that out some day.

I thought I had more or less explained how Harry could run while being tortured. He was already running when the first curse hit him, and instead of making him fall to the ground, it acted as a stimulant.

Extracted from chapter 2:

"it was as if – as if I had lava instead of blood in my veins and all I could think of to forget the pain was keep running."

Harry was somehow able to keep control over his own limbs--which shows he is very good as a wizard; but otherwise, this idea of never stopping to move in order to forget the pain isn't even original. Yesterday, being the graceful person that I am, I crashed my knee into a heater. That hurt a lot--I still can't walk down or up the stairs--and I hopped on the spot for a good minute before the pain eased a little. So there :).

The other point is a little more of a problem. I guess there can be two possible interpretations of the canon facts about the Cruciatus Curse: either the caster has to keep their wand pointed at the victim, which requires that they should lower or lift their wand in order to finish the curse; or keeping the wand pointed at their aim is only a way to reinforce the curse and make the pain near unbearable, and they have to do something active in order to really finish it. Here, lifting their wand at the end of the curse (instead of lowering it) would be seen as an equivalent of the Finite Spell, except that it would be specific to the Cruciatus.

I honestly think the first interpretation is the most accurate. But the second one appealed to me, and it basically gave me the ideas I needed in order to write a very important part of this story. So I'll stick to it, for this particular story.

Although, you'll notice that when the caster does not point their wand at their victim, the latter only feels a persistent but dull pain. Real torture requires a wand pointed at them the whole time.

So you see, I gave these points a fair bit of thought, and at one moment I thought of including an explanation in the story. But it would have only served to slow down the pace and make the story messier and more confused still in my opinion.

Thanks for the review.

20. Dark Lord Rostam

Dark Lord Rostam Button La Famiglia Midknight

In that thing you call a closet. Better watch out,
    Great! :D This and Symphony for Quartet are my favorite active stories right now.