1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned The Stranger Trilogy by serpant sorcerer - M

Discussion in 'The Alternates' started by Rahkesh Asmodaeus, Sep 10, 2005.

1. BsuperB

BsuperB Headmaster

Agreed, while the French insults are light-hearted humour say once a year amongst young people, it does go a little far..

So, to get a conversation going... What do we all expect to happen in the next chapter? I suppose Snape's going to come into it with the 'two suspected Death Eaters' part in the teaser. As for Harry's decision.. I'm thinking he might just 'sacrifice' this world, leave them to their fate, only he can't due to the Prophecy..

So maybe Katie has to o with Harry as his life rests in her hands?

It's a couple of poor idea's, but all that really comes to mind on short notice.

2. Galleon

Galleon DA Member

I don't see Harry just giving up or sacrificing the world, he has too much of that "saving thing" going on - even with the Dark Knight imprint.

3. BsuperB

BsuperB Headmaster

Well, he's going to end up making a sacrifice at some point, he can't save everyone, let alone eerything or every world.

Who or what it'll be, I'm not really too sure. Sirius is out again, so who's he close with in Promised Land? Katie, of sorts and that's all that springs to mind.. So unless we has to sacifice his friendship wih her, or something to do wih himself.. it's pretty open.

4. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Just out of curiosity does anyone know if this yahoo group is still active? I found this story not too long after I joined the forums here and read everything available on fanfiction.net before attempting to join the yahoo group. It's been about 2 weeks without approval to join, so I was curious if the chapters he has posted there (but not on ffnet) are available anywhere else.

Thanks
    CT

5. CaffeineAddict

CaffeineAddict Seventh Year DLP Supporter

I dunno, he hasn't shown his face around the net recently, there is much speculation that this story is in fact dead (although the last massive update was in October or something). It took me about a month before he authorized my join request, he doesn't seem to check the thing much.

6. BsuperB

BsuperB Headmaster

He finished University last summer and has just moved, alongside starting work which I imagine has dramatically decreased the time Jono has to write and check up on the group. People who believe it to be dead are merely impatient, though their annoyance is understandable.

I'm happy to continue waiting though, even if Promised Land doesn't seem as... entertaining and amazing as Stranger was.

7. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Its still active, i've been getting a few emails from it here and there.

8. CaffeineAddict

CaffeineAddict Seventh Year DLP Supporter

Please don't misconstrue my comment for impatience, far from it. Let the man sort out his life, after all it's not like he's getting paid to write this. The grumblings of a dead story have been flying around the group. However, the update sizes (anywhere between 50k and 100k words) and the heavy beta process he has to run those things through, I'm not surprised it takes a few months to hash the monsters out. That being said, a shout out would not be misplaced.

And I agree, Unholy Land was somewhat more interesting if only because of the heavy distopian elements of the early parts of the story which slowly bled away as it came to resolution, it was effective writing. Something about Promised Land just seems... lighter after the series of CFs in the first part of the trilogy.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2009
  9. RustyRed

RustyRed High Inquisitor

Eh, I just really kind of hate Katie... I hate how Harry keeps thinking about how impressed he is, and comparing himself disfavorably to her, even though she's sort of bossy, mean, and judgmental. And I'm especially annoyed how all the people who were important in Harry's life are now HER important people--like Sirius? How does that work? How can he be Katie Bell's godfather when he was friends with Harry's parents, unless by some further twisting of fate he was never friends with James?

I dunno, I hate seeing the hero of the story tell me that someone is better than him, when clearly she's not. I don't think I even got through the entirety of the most recent chapter. Stranger in an Unholy Land was epic, and I'm pretty content to pretend it ended with that one.

10. Blaise

Blaise Golden Patronus

Did you read the story?

Harry sees her as a better version of him, because the skills he have are more or less muscle memory from Unholy Land's Harry. Half of his actions are either unfamiliar instincts, or him constantly fighting his instincts, versus Katie's self-achieved drive.

Compare a millionaire who started his own business to a millionaire who won the lottery: who's really 'better' ?

As for everyone in Harry's life being important to Katie...it's a different universe, where Katie is the Chosen One. In this universe, Sirius is her godfather (in addition to Harry's) because he was close to Katie's mother - again, did you read the story?

11. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Rahkesh Asmodaeus THUNDAH Bawd Admin DLP Supporter

Nigger: I'm thinking the beginning of you post was based on your own intuition rather than the author saying so in the story. I don't remember Harry ever revealing why he thought she was better than him. But I guess that excuse could fly... somewhat. I mean, why would he say she was better in the DA then him? That was a stupid comment. How on earth is she better? I mean, when he rushed in the room to tell them Umbridge was coming, Katie's first reaction (instead of telling everyone to bail immediately) was to attack Harry and accuse him of telling Umbridge. Yeah, she's so much better.

12. Blaise

Blaise Golden Patronus

Are we reading the same fucking story?

Harry said Katie was better at leading the DA you curry peddler.

EDIT:

Maybe the confusion comes from the fact that (a) Harry doesn't really consider the Dark Knight/Soldier aspect as a part of what makes him 'him', and (b) he's comparing the weak-shit person that he was, back in his universe, to Katie.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2009
  13. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Rahkesh Asmodaeus THUNDAH Bawd Admin DLP Supporter

What? Leading the DA? My previous point still stands then. Instead of leading the DA and telling them to get the fuck out, she attacks Harry instead. Yeah, she does such a good job at leading them, eh, Blaise?

When he said that she was so much better than he was he meant at teaching the DA. He didn't mean in general.

14. Blaise

Blaise Golden Patronus

Yes, you got me - that one moment is the sum total of experience that Harry is referring to when he says that she's a better leader. My bad. Harry would've been a much better leader in similiar circumstances, so clearly-

Oh wait:

Yup.

As for the general comparison, I think we're squabbling over what "better" is referring to: I (and the author, and Harry) am thinking "better person", while you're thinking "better fighter". But the fact remains:

15. RustyRed

RustyRed High Inquisitor

Well, that's kind of the whole problem to me right there--the author is telling me, both in the narrative and through Harry, that Katie is better--but all I've seen of Katie just makes me annoyed. It doesn't matter how much you say, for instance, that someone is compassionate--if I don't see them showing any actual evidence of it, it's all bs to me.

Plus, even if it were true, and there were actual scenes where I had to admit that Katie did a better job than Harry would have (which I didn't really) I'd still be pissed that the author was building up a supporting character and tearing down the main character. *shrug*

16. Ched

Hmmm, still no invite to the Yahoo! group so I can read the latest chapters. I got some responses before on the activity level of the group, but not really any info on if this is posted elsewhere for me to read.

Anyone know if I can catch up on chapters not on fanfiction.net somewhere other than the group?

Cheers

Oh, and I know that I haven't read the most recent chapters, but I have to agree that Katie, and Harry's attitude towards her, irritates me rather a lot. I can't see her as better than him in any capacity. Yes you can argue that she worked harder than Harry did before his dimension hopping, but that doesn't say much about the type of person she is. Her friends are Harry's old friends, yet that makes little sense as well since they are in different years. The Godfather thing is equally odd. *shrug*

17. LuxDragon

LuxDragon Fourth Year

It actually irks me about the godfather thing. Sirius was still James' best friend there, but for all intents and purposes, the Harry of that dimension was still ignored? I think the author is trying too hard to put Katie on a pedestal or something.

18. Boo

Boo Auror

Can you be godfather to more than one kid?

The whole godfather thing is weird. But everything is slightly different than Harrys world. You also have the butterfly effect. Sirius could have been friends with Katies parents.

Harry thinks that Katies is better than him becuase the DA/RA Did more in less time with Katie and she was more in charge of it. Plus she is a girl and she can do what he did.

19. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

Cheddar; someone posted either links or attached the chapters in this thread. You only have to search for it. I know it's there, but my own five seconds search didn't turn up the right posts, and I don't feel like investing more time :p

20. Ched

Ah, thanks! Now that I know it's there I will have a look around more closely.

EDIT! -- Chapters 5 & 6 are posted back on page 10 of this thread for anyone who is not a member of the yahoo group. How many chapters are there at present, 8?

EDIT2 -- Giving the first story a 5/5, and the second a 4/5. Without going into too much detail, I think the second story is hindered too much by Katie's character and Harry's views regarding her. If it wasn't original in other ways, well written, and with a strong prequel to base off of it would probably be more of a 2.5/5.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2009