1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned The Traitor and the Nine Tails by Loudest Voice - T - Naruto

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by nath1607, Mar 23, 2012.

1. nath1607

nath1607 Groundskeeper

Title: The Traitor and the Nine Tails
    Author: Loudest Voice
    Rating: T
    Genre: Action/AU
    Fandom: Naruto
    Published: Febuary 29, 2012
    Updated: November 10, 2014
    Words: 220,904
    Chapters: 31/35

Pairings: ---
    Summary: Itachi finds alternate means to stop the Uchiha uprising. Five years later, he's assigned his first genin team.
    Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/7821250/1/The_Traitor_and_the_NineTails
    Link: Internet Archive's copy - Thanks, Fire.

It's suspenseful, engaging, and makes you want to read more and wonder what is going to happen next. As in the genre, it is an AU so thankfully it just doesn't change the massacre and have everything play out as it once did, and on that alone it should be read, yet it offers so much more. It makes reading the universe the characters live in engaging as it isn't just Itachi centric but focuses on all aspects of team 7 including their home lives. From Sakura's innocent civilian life to Sasuke's ninja where all the members are deriled and where he is their hope for the future and the stress on him.

The only possible downside i can think of is that it is quite explicative heavy, but it doesn't bother me much. I would recommend at the very least to read the first several chapters. Have fun.

The story was part of the series "The Legend of God's Eyes" (webarchive)
    The author deleted the series and its stories from both ff.net and AO3.

They apparently started reposting / rewriting / replacing the series: "The Legend of God's Eyes".
    He might or might not repost this story as well.
    Thanks to fire and Rob14 for the info.

If you want to discuss the new series / stories of the new series, please post a new thread on the Review Board.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 28, 2016
  2. DarkAizen

DarkAizen Professor DLP Supporter

Itachi is also somewhat bisexual, although he has sex because of his insomnia and it's only mentioned in passing, not shown.

I like it. Itachi is very nicely done, spot on in fact. And the plot is not a rehash of cannon with Itachi instead of Kakashi.

3. Jarik

Jarik Chief Warlock

Hey, this is actually one of the first unique Naruto fics I've read in a very long time. Usually they're all the same shit, with minor details changed. So when I saw the Summary I was expecting something like Itachi finding a diplomatic, nonviolent way of stopping the uprising. Then the rest of the fic would be him trying to train Naruto up, while dealing with a jealous brother who wanted Itachi all to himself. Been done heaps of times before.

So I was kind of pleasantly surprised to see Itachi just completely and utterly maimed the entire clan instead. They all despise him, and Sasuke still wants revenge against him - despite being stuck as one of his subordinate Genin.

It's a pretty unique concept and written to focus on all 4 members of Team 7. There's a lot of little changes to the universe which end up being quite interesting to see. The characters and the way they deal with each other is very interesting to read and definitely not something I've really read before.

Writing style is a bit average, and ultimately prevents this from being rated higher. But I'd give this a 4/5 for good characterisation and being unique.

4. LT2000

LT2000 Heir

It's alright. Lots of fairly glaring typos (author sometimes spells a word right and then misspells the same word within the same sentence) and could do with a beta.

I also find myself mildly annoyed with people referring to Naruto as 'The Nine Tails' as though he doesn't have a name. For some characters I could excuse this, but not from the likes of Kakashi, who I should think would view his teacher's son as something more than the demon sealed within him (and I really can't buy the notion of him being ignorant of Naruto's parentage). The whole line of 'getting stuck with Nine Tails' like the idea of mentoring Minato's orphaned son is somehow repugnant to him just irked me something vicious.

Also, Naruto just kinda seems to be just 'there.' Most of the character development and POV seemed to be focused on Sasuke and to a lesser extent Sakura. Maybe that will change in the future, but I'm not keen on reading a story where the titular character is reduced to the role of afterthought.

5. Vincent

Vincent Death Eater

I liked it.

It's a pretty original idea. The POV switch around between the team pretty evenly and they all manage to be interesting enough. Nothing bothered me enough about the story that I remembered it.

6. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    LT2000 pretty much covered me, although I disagree with Naruto being refered as "Nine Tails". I see it differently.

What annoyed me most is that Itachi is useless. He's only bee in one fight so far, and that against a moderately good opponent whom he should have flattened in seconds, yet he nearly died.
    Meh. Story's good, and I'm gonna keep an eye on it, but it needs some work.

7. DarkAizen

DarkAizen Professor DLP Supporter

I think you read the chapter wrong.

He nearly died because he used Tsukuyomi(?), if Sasuke wasn't in danger he would have won eventually.

8. Vincent

Vincent Death Eater

I don't think it was because he used Tsukuyomi as much as how long he used it. She threatened Sasuke so he tortured her until he ran out of chakra to do it with.

9. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    Itachi has used Tsukuyomi before, and the only thing he noted was the immense chakra burnout.

Thing is, a ninja of Itachi‘s caliber should have not had any problems with a blind opponent at all. It‘s not like the old lady is special in any way.

I suppose it.was needed, plot wise, but suspension of disbelief was really tested.

10. Legacy

Legacy Death Eater DLP Supporter

Ya I have to agree with republic here, I remember first meeting Itachi in the Manga and seeing him wipe the floor with just about everyone present. I remember as the man that at only 30% could take down team 7 post timeskip when they rescued Gaara. I remember this as the man who flat out wrecked Orochimaru.

All in all, I remember him being far more badass than this. Maybe hanging around with kisame and Akatsuki got him into more strenuous fights that pushed him to be stronger and he just didn't have that this time.

11. nath1607

nath1607 Groundskeeper

All those fights had him using sharingan though, and as we see at the VoTE what a "level up" that truly is (going from two to three tomoe) and that's without Itachi's repertoire of Sharingan genjutsu, where as this one hasn't used his in years if we go by the monologue and even then he just went straight to Mangekyo. So while some of you may not like it, should he fight using sharingan he should be vastly more capable.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2012
  12. redshell

redshell Order Member

On the subject of Itachi's "power-level", I think we're all forgetting that he didn't join Akatsuki. He didn't have to push himself to stay even with the group so he could funnel information to Jiraiya. Here, he just settled for being one of the better ninja in Konoha, and left it at that.

Also, you guys are definitely undervaluing the Kyuubi's rampage. The Kyuubi killed hundreds of ninja in a single night, and all of them had friends and family. You don't think it's possible for someone (even Kakashi) to be reluctant to give Naruto a chance after that? Kakashi isn't training Naruto in this fic, and for all we know he hasn't had much interaction (if any) with Naruto, so he doesn't know what Naruto is like.

He's going off second-hand information and what he can assume based on that, as well as the Kyuubi's rampage. In all likelihood he was there, and he watched it kill his friends and acquaintances.

You really think that's not going to affect his perception of Naruto? You really think that's not going to affect anyone's? Honestly, while I don't think that he was ever abused because of what the Kyuubi did, I do think that it would have affected how people treated him. Disobedience within the law is still disobedience.

13. Vincent

Vincent Death Eater

Yeah, the sharingan is a huge power up, he was trying to take the woman alive for most of the fight so was holding back to start with, and all of his other genjutsu seem to be vision based as well. He wasn't even stringing his attacks together.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2012
  14. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    You're getting their motivations mixed up. The people of Konoha didn't hate him for no reason. They feared him first, and that built up into hatred. Their base motivation in alienating him was fear, but that also prevented them from outright abusing him. The Sandaime's law helped in that regard as well.

15. Jarik

Jarik Chief Warlock

I think that for that last chapter to have made sense, that blind lady would have had to have been at Zabuza level or higher.

Kakashi landed himself in a similar situation after fighting Zabuza. In this story, Itachi is apparently the BEST ninja of Konoha, so he should be of higher skill level than Kakashi.

This.

I don't even think they really hated him that much either. He was alienated as a child, and no one wanted to (or allowed their children to) talk to him. He started becoming a prankster to try to gain some attention, and that led to a disrespect and dislike from many of the adults of the village.

All the 'hate' and 'abuse' he goes through is more of a fandom thing I think.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2012
  16. Knyght

Knyght Alchemist

Relevant manga page.

There's no hint of any physical abuse during Naruto's childhood but the amount of emotional abuse he suffered was incredible. And to paraphrase something I've said before about Naruto's (canonical) childhood:

17. Vincent

Vincent Death Eater

I don't think Kakashi's condition after Zabuza is that similar because Kakashi was forced into that situation while Itachi was just being recklessly vengeful. He didn't need to keep her in his Tsukuyomi so long that he completely ran out of chakra and started torturing himself along with her.

18. Nemrut

Nemrut The Black Mage ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Story isn't too bad but I find Naruto to be extremely unlikable in this. He is even more off an obnoxious douche than usual.

But I do enjoy the dynamic between Sasuke and Itachi.

19. fire

fire Order Member

20. rob14

rob14 Squib