1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

The Wheel Unbroken by TheAnimaniacDude - Game of Thrones / ASOIAF

Discussion in 'Game of Thrones / ASoIaF' started by Otters, Aug 21, 2019.

1. CrackedMind

CrackedMind Minister of Magic

Double post

2. moribund_helix

moribund_helix Third Year

This however is such a great go at this trope (time-travel/fix-it) that (I feel) isn't even in the same league as other ASOIAF fics. I really like how the author manages to create suspense and takes us to different places & characters with each of Jon's lives.

Great idea and execution for this trope and the multitude of characters & places that ASOIAF has, really help this trope shine.

3. Drachna

Drachna Professor

High Score:
    The Golden Stag, Zero Requiem, Saerang (although that one might be dead) and A Soldier Adrift ig, but given that that's a quest, it's not really a fair comparison.

4. TheAnimaniacDude

TheAnimaniacDude Second Year

I'm running off the assumption that either once George gets off his ass and finishes writing WOW around the heat death of the universe, or HBO actually gets HOTD off the ground, people will actually start caring about the fandom again. Until then, the last taste in people's mouths is season 8, and who wants to jump in when that's the only version of canon we get?

Also, since I've apparently regained the will to write quickly (I've slammed out 6 pages since I posted chapter 20) I should probably also start talking to people about the story again. So, here I am.

5. s0ng2Sing

s0ng2Sing Third Year

Another update managed to come out today. Jon bumbling his way through trying to survive in King's Landing. So he is doing better than most would but still has a lot to learn.

6. Inert

Inert Headmaster

Author has a way of making rando characters interesting. I've never given a fuck about Leyton Hightower and his shade of the evening, but he might see some Targ ancestry in Jon so I'm suddenly curious. Seeing someone (possibly) recognize something in Jon and not having it be Barristan or Jaime is, as always, a nice refreshing take. This fic is great at that.

Coupled with Robert becoming less ineffectual and Jon needing to thwart one assassination attempt per scene, this is shaping up nicely.

7. CrackedMind

100% agree. The dynamic Leyton and Jon has is very fun, I like the mentorship and that Leyton sees something special in Jon (whether thats his Targ-ness or just that deep down Jon does have care about the realm).

I also don’t know if I’ve ever seen Robert handled the way he is by Leyton in a fic before. I like that he’s cajoled in military terms to see he’s letting the realm drown in debt.

Really interested to see how this life turns out.

8. CrackedMind

This updated. Pretty fun chapter. Things are moving, but it still feels like we’re setting up all of the pieces for the grand finish. Gonna be sad if/when this life ends, I’ve really liked the dynamic Jon has with Mance/Leyton/Mya, and Robert has been fun too.

9. Donimo

Donimo Auror

It had a slump during the Ironborn arc but it's definitely rallied.

10. Inert

Inert Headmaster

Oh, glorious update. So many moving parts, all getting ready to kill Jon in one fell stroke. One of the few fics I look to that isn't simply a time-waster.

Can't imagine Jon makes it past his own wedding with how much shit he's kicking up. Should be a great read.

11. TheAnimaniacDude

I haven't exactly mathed out how many more chapters I have left of this life, but if I had to guess... More than two, less than or equal to five. I know I have at least two scenes that require a time skip, and I definitely don't want this to drag on too long since we have so much more ground to cover.

12. moribund_helix

moribund_helix Third Year

I hope we'll see the wedding!

While just a single bad moment is required for this life to end with so many moving against him, Jon appears more capable with each life and especially this one. And in this life he hasn't faced unknown magic and beasts, he should manage to survive the south plots unless something unexpected comes up.

13. Shizenjin

Shizenjin Squib DLP Bronze Supporter

Got through this in one night, feels like a fever dream, but a damn good one. Probably the best ASOIAF Fic out there, easily a 5/5 in my book. The best "do-over" type fic I've ever read across any fandom, the mood is perfect and Jon's iterations add up to a greater whole while they still feel like individuals.

Loved Arc 6, 7 is shaping up to be my favorite so far, love me some Jon in KL.

14. Fatality

Fatality Order Member

I definitely think this story is up there as one of the best ASOIAF fics, and I think a large factor in that for me is how well the magical elements of the story have been handled. Jon's conversation with the alchemist in this chapter was a real high point for me, especially as I only recently saw this interesting 2min video GRRM did for House of the Dragon discussing the magic of ASOIAF. Think the sentiments he expresses in the first half of that video are reflected well in this fic. Lodos!Jon when he inevitably gets his hands on a dragon is going to be a wild ride.

15. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

It's easily one of the best ASoIaF fics. Some past lives were better and some worse, but it does well building up and letting Jon slowly learn everything he needs to kick ass which is what's most important in any loop fics.

I'm guessing his next life should be about mysteries of Maesters since he's aware of them. Though going to Dorne would be fun because he has no experience with deserts and that could be a challenge even to him.

16. TheAnimaniacDude

Be careful what you wish for.

Dorne is in the cards eventually, though I haven't figured out where exactly in the timeline it'll go. I have a semi-solid idea of what's coming for the next 2-3 lives, and after that it's all plot bunnies. I kind of have things divided between 'magic bullshit', 'political bullshit' and 'self-improvement bullshit', and the current KL arc, while covering all three categories, falls most heavily into political bullshit, while Lodos was categorized pretty firmly as magic bullshit.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2022
  17. Shizenjin

Shizenjin Squib DLP Bronze Supporter

Hoping for a "Arch-Maester Snow" personality being nearly as distinct as Lodos, though number 6 is unique due to his memory loss. If Maester Snow ever becomes a thing, of course. Hopefully Greystark does not get too traumatized, but wowee that guy has pissed off half the country.

I firmly enjoy "political bullshit", but the magical bullshit is very fun as well.

18. caparot

caparot First Year

High Score:
    He has experience with commanding and politics (though he still lack friends from other kingdoms) . He has an edge on the magic side of things. The only thing he probably needs is a dragon.

19. Drachna

Drachna Professor

High Score:
    I was sort of convinced that this was the last life, ngl.

20. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

Probably because it feels the most natural to have King's Landing as the final setting. My guess is that after this life we will get Jon traveling a lot around and then we will get the redux as the part one of the final life.