1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

The Wise Man's Fear by Patrick Rothfuss

Discussion in 'Books and Anime Discussion' started by Joe, Feb 25, 2011.

1. Mock Moniker

Mock Moniker Professor

The only hint about what Valaritas might mean is that Fela dreamed it was an ancient dead king; and that behind the doors were his tomb.

I suspect there is some relation between Valaritas and Drossen Tor, and possibly Iax.

2. syed

syed Supermod

Kvothe swore an oath not to uncover the identity of Denna patron, by his good left hand, his name and power and by the ever moving moon. SO this might be why he become kote and has no magic, but it also give hope of change. THis oath would only be binding so long as the moon keeps moving, if it was halted just for a second, then his power is sure to return. We know that the moon will be a big factor, the iron box with its name will need to be found.

3. Mordecai

Mordecai Drunken Scotsman –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Ok, I'll admit I've not read most of this tl;dr posts in this thread. But I just finished a reread of the books, and one thing stuck out to me as a possible bit of bizarreness.

When Kvothe arrives at the University, he reads a book by The Chronicler. It is suggested that by the time The Chronicler wrote his book about the Common Draccus he had established something of a reputation as an author. So it can't have been too early in his career.

Yet, he went to the University after Kvothe did. This could of course mean he went to the University later in life than others would. So I'm left wondering is it some sort of weird time stream thing caused by the Fae, or what?

4. syed

syed Supermod

The draccus he studied might have been the trebon one, so wrote the book during his studies.

5. Blazzano

Blazzano Unspeakable

It's been a little while since I read that book, so please correct me if I'm wrong...but I don't think it was ever actually stated that Chronicler learned about/researched Kvothe while he was a student. He might have gone back after the legend of Kvothe was in full swing. After all, if you're researching the legend of Kvothe and/or attempting to locate him, the University is as good a spot as any to search for clues.

6. Styx0444

Styx0444 Minister of Magic

@Joe: Agreed, I just felt it necessary to make the distinction.

I usually try to ignore you in the hopes that you'll go away, but really?

Kvothe READ THE BOOK while he was at the university. That was Mordecai's entire point.

@Mordecai: It's possible Pat just made a slip. A lot of it depends on when Kvothe was expelled and how long Chronicler spent there. Do we actually know how old he is? We know he mentions Kvothe as young, but that doesn't necessarily mean that he is much older. We know Kvothe spent time in the fea, so you might be right that time shenanigans is involved. After all, we have no idea how long has actually passed, though I think I remember a mention that Kvothe faked his death two years before the story began.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2012
  7. Ashan

Ashan Groundskeeper DLP Supporter

I'm pretty sure Chronicler mentioned that he took a break from the University at some point. He never stated how long it was, so it could very well have stretched across Kvothe's entire education there.

Edit: He said he learned more in a month on the road than in a year at the University, after Kvothe says it’s a pity they were never at University at the same time.

8. Mock Moniker

Mock Moniker Professor

Got a quote from the book that states this? I was under the impression that Chronicler went to the university something like 10 years before Kvothe.

9. Mordecai

Mordecai Drunken Scotsman –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Can't dig out the exact quotes (and there were multiple) that gave me that impression.

It was things like The Chronicler implying that people were telling stories of Kvothe when he went to the University.

10. Mock Moniker

Mock Moniker Professor

All I can say is I'm pretty sure you're misinterpreting things. If you read more carefully you will probably discover that there is nothing saying Chronicler was a student after Kvothe. He may have been at the university at some point after Kvothe left, but that doesn't mean he wasn't there before Kvothe arrived.

11. syed

syed Supermod

Felurian was in Murellar but was not a fae at the time, apparently fae were created during or after the creation war, my bet is after. I wonder if the shapers were defeated and remade into the faen.

I have noticed something epic. The adem call evil creatures of magic, Rhinta but the flowers of the Cthaeh are called Rhinna. THey have a smell that makes people want to put it into their mouths. Rhinta are the things influenced or created by the ultimate creature of evil.

THe fae are affected by iron, copper, obsidian, elm and ash, all of which a draccus can consume so it is a living creature that is made of and fed and attacks by fire, which are things that are weapons against them. I bet they the draccus were often found near or around Waystones, which are like ways into the fae.

THe fae realm is that folding house mentioned in stories. It was made with cracks and doors already, so that means the waystone were made at that time. The thing is tinue is thought to be related to the waystones, as all roads lead to it. THe thing is this is before the creation war, so tinue does not exist yet, unless one of the ancient cities went on to be called this.

Apparently, copper can not be affected the same way with naming magic at least. THe archive door is likely locked by naming. If it is the barrow of an ancient king, it would explain how Auri or ariel got taken? BUt why would anyone build a library on top of a tomb of the undead. You can not tell me that there have not been a legion of university students who have investigated that door?

The Scaendyne have something to do with scaelings, I wonder if they are the nameless.

The demon lord encanis was not fae as they were not made yet, demons dont exist so he had to be a shaper.

12. Ragon

Ragon Dark Lord

Chronicler hearing stories about Kvothe at the University is simple. I have always been under the impression Chronicler is several years older. Chronicler travels for his stories and books. It is far more likely that Chronicler heard stories about Kvothe while he was passing through the University than there is some crazy time flux. Perhaps he sometimes acquires books for the archives. Maybe he was doing research.

Kvothe's name has become both praise and curse at the University, he was a legend while a student. It makes sense that Chronicler would hear stories if he was passing through. Maybe he did research on Kvothe at the University. That would be a natural place to start seeing as that is where most people would say his legend begin.

13. Mock Moniker

Mock Moniker Professor

I was under the impression that Elodin just doesn't know the name of copper. Like if you made a door out of Iron, Chronicler would be able to open it/destroy it with it's name. But since he doesn't know the name of copper he wouldn't be able to do anything to it.

I'm not sure why you're confused. Chronicler IS stopping on his way somewhere to listen to a story. Kvothe only agreed to tell him if he had 3 days to compose and tell everything.

14. Ragon

Ragon Dark Lord

Let me rephrase. Chronicler hearing stories about Kvothe at the University is simple. I have always been under the impression Chronicler is several years older. Chronicler travels for his stories and books. It is far more likely that Chronicler heard stories about Kvothe while he was passing through the University than there is some crazy time flux.

15. Cosmo4

Cosmo4 Third Year

From Skarpi's story about Lanre:

"This is my doom upon you. Your own name will be turned against you, that you shall have no peace."

This is possibly the reason why the Chandrian hunt those, like Kvothes parents, who learn about them. It gives them an advantage over the Amyr. If everyone knew and spoke their name, it would be so much noise it would be pure torment. However, since only their strongest enemies know them, they will have knowledge of where their enemies are.

16. songsparrow

songsparrow First Year

I think the line in the Lockless poem/riddle about the word that is forsworn does indeed refer to a curse, specifically Selito's. Cursed fits nicely as a word for sworn. And a curse is also a sharp word not for swearing when you are pronouncing doom on someone. it's a play on words. Alternatively, oath could also fit - and I think both the Singers and the Amyr took oaths to Aleph to seek justice and prevent the Chandrian from doing harm in the future - Skarpi's second story. But I like the curse option best

17. syed

syed Supermod

Copper and iron are threats to fae, and taborlin the great had a copper sword. Also, I wonder why Kvothe did not learn copper as a name?
    There was a story were taborlin faced the chandrin, so it and his tools might be important.
    THe two poems are seven things the lackless have, while the other lists what is needed for the door.

THis is simple a poem that links their mysterious ness to how laurian ran away with a performer.

THis is what will open it. It is believed this door leads to the Amyr, as Alveron would lead them straight to their door as told by the ctheah. Seven things are needed to open the door, a ring, a word, a time, a candle, a son, a door, and ?. THe thing is it has eight parts, the seven items, and the thing that comes with sleeping.
    Seeing as Haliax is their enemey, and since he has been hiding his name and it is a weapon against them, it makes sense if his name is able to be useful. A ring not for wearing would be the unseen rings of naming, my bet would be the unnamed on, or more likely blood ring, due to the red often seen on their hands. a candle may refer to the candle of taborlin, one of his three tools of magic. A son who brings the blood, may be more than a lackless son, but one who carries a specific blood. THere are theories that the Ruh are descended from those with magical natures, fae, namers or shapers.
    WHy would there be another door, so you need a barrier to hold back something while allowing you to pass. tight held in keeping, I think would be a secret or an oath. Or it potentially could be the thing in the box. If it has a story knot on it, what would the information be.
    The box is thought to be from the oracle creature, so linked to Iax or Haliax, so why would those with a door to the amyr have it. THe box is said to have rocks, so i wonder if seilitos obsidian rock was kept.

The amyr were created to stop lanre and his followers, so if Kvothe were to stop them, would they be finished?
    So lanre can not be killed, but the other of the seven can be harmed, so they could be killed or bound?
    I always thought the tahl with their magic songs were the singers, but the angels were blessed with such a power, but if Tehlu is one of them, why would it not be farther known?

If kvothe father knew the chandrin purpose was eliminate those that knew their name was their purpose would he not be more careful? I think he found out more than that, he had studied the stories along time, so he might have known alot. Would he have shared his notes or song with ben?

I wonder if the prayer Marten spoke summoned the angels to area, which is why cinder fled, he felt something in the sky remember? If the chandrin can be summoned by names, why not angels. Also, arlinden knew the secrets of the chandrin and he was begging for mercy was he not. He also must have realised names were important, so called on the angels himself, to if not save himself, to ensure that the chandrian fled before his son returned.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2012
  18. songsparrow

songsparrow First Year

Syed, great questions - lots more to think about! One thing I am thinking will come into play is Stapes and the ring he gave Kvothe - giving that ring is like an oath to give any help needed at any time, no questions asked. And it is an ancient ring from an ancient blood line in Vint.

Another theory - the Adem say they were pushed out of everywhere they settled until finally coming to the mountain lands that no one wanted. They are sheep herders, and they use a hidden language.
    They are also the most powerful fighters of all. I think it likely they are the descendents of the original people like Lanre who were gifted fighters, with some among them showing the gifts for wisdom, but only a very few real namers, such as the ancient crone who had Kvothe memorize the history of his sword, then gave him his Name.

Kvothe mentions several times watching his teacher braid her hair. I think there is a reference somewhere to her having been to Yll. At some other point in the story, Kvothe mentions Yll had been so stomped on by the heavy boots of the Iron Law or something to that effect that there was almost nothing there, and the one part that was inhabited was only home to sheep and their herders. I think the Adem were in Yll at one point, and what is known as Yllic was another of their hidden languages. And those who still live in Yll remain aware and in contact with the Adem in Ademre through the traveling Adem fighters. So an Adem could help Kvothe read the story knot. Possibly Vashet, I don't think we've seen the end of her.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2012
  19. syed

syed Supermod

Kvothe little sparring partner could be coming to visit him, did she wear braids.

Herders are less likely to have paper, but material to make ropes or cloth, could be used to store info. ALso, they know the power of names, and they dont speak much, so hide the knowledge.

SO we all think that the story knot library room will be filled with secrets. Story knots were from a time before the written word, so the knots are likely before the empire, that is hundreds of years, potentially more.

Does any one else think its odd that Kvothe, enemy of the chandrin, just happens to create the bloodless, a device which will negate and protect those hunted by the sihde, or atleast from their arrows? So chandrian and other evils, as well as the fool looking to go to the oracle, have a better chance of avoiding arrows.

There was a theory about the archive door being linked to the Loekless box. THe box it was kept in was made with a circle as a key hole, copper in nature just as the library door. If the Valaritas door is linked to the Amyr, did they also hide that box away themselves. It is believed due to kvothe thinging glass or stone, that it was the stone that took the founder of the order of amyr eye. THe thing is why would it be in the box of an evil entity from the faen world.

Auri has givern Kvothe gifts, including a coin, a key and a candle I think. I wonder if they are important and what else has she givern him.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2012
  20. highroller23

highroller23 Guest

I'm not a big reader at all, but I recently finished NotW and WMF and am absolutely in love with them. If anyone has any recommendations? Pretty much the entirety of my fantasy read is HP, asoiaf and kingkiller.

Also, Jo Walton's reread of NotW and WMF is amazing (to me, at least) and I highly recommend it if it hasn't been posted ITT yet.