1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

The Wise Man's Fear by Patrick Rothfuss

Discussion in 'Books and Anime Discussion' started by Joe, Feb 25, 2011.

1. IdSayWhyNot

IdSayWhyNot Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

I hated the Felurian bit. To each his own, I guess.

And I agree that Rothfuss sucks at pacing. That's why I always wondered what it'd be like if him and Butcher wrote a book together. Butcher is fantastic at pacing but mediocre at wording, whereas Rothfuss can tell you about the time his shirt got stuck at the washing machine and make it fascinating but without actually going anywhere.

2. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    So, Rothfuss has shared a single sentence from Doors of Stone:

Screencap

So, Auri point of view?

3. Feoffic

Feoffic Alchemist DLP Supporter

Are you sure that's for Doors and not a short story?

4. Skeletaure

High Score:
    Has he said he's going to be writing short stories in the Kingkiller world, set during the Kingkiller period?

If not, I see no reason to presume that.

5. Feoffic

Point. I guess that means Auri survived whatever calamity Kvothe set in motion. Reading from her PoV could be really interesting since she approaches everything from a different angle than most of the other characters.

6. syed

syed Supermod

Has any one ever read the short story, "The Road to Levinshir"? If so where is it?

If Auri is the rescued princess, how exactly did the undead kidnap her in the first place? SO this makes it seems it was near to the university? There are three known options, the grey stone, the 4 copper plate door and the underside of the university. those are the most likely place for the undead come from. Lots assume the copper plated door, as that door inspired a dream involving a royal crypt that came from fela. There is a secret way into the tomes via the under thing.

I have had this strange idea since I read the books, somewhere in the fae, mortal or even elsewhere, the seven has this stronghold or hiding place. These entities are millennial old, they must have a place to retreat or hide in. In most story epics, the forces of evil always have a stronghold or hidden lair.
    I was just thinking that over the years they must have collected many treasures and trophies, taken from their victims. Like the Vase they took from trebon, that would something especially coveted, while it shows their enemy, it is a one of a kind treasure that showed themselves. We saw how they took pleasure in killing the travelling players kvothe's father led. They might have other thing, like swords similar to those held by the ademre. They could have ever burning lamps, or books though lost to time. We know they sought to destroy knowledge of themselves, so taking manuscripts or entire libraries just to be sure is possible. They likely have a huge store of ancient artifacts and magic. All the stories claim that hey were once humans, so its like traits like greed remain in such a malicious beings.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2013
  7. Skeletaure

High Score:
    I believe "The Road to Levinshir" is the chapter in The Name of the Wind where Chronicler is introduced (with the highwaymen).

8. syed

syed Supermod

There are said to be other short stories written once the third book comes out. Will they simply be in the same world, or set during the books themselves?
    THey could possibly be extracts taken from his autobiography that he attempted to write.
    They could simply be stories that involve the other characters as their focus.

I always believed that his story ended with him being expelled, but then i realised, he has already been expelled then accepted into the arcanum. THe big event is actually most seem to think he died, so it was a form of mutual destruction.

We know the Chandrin are feared and hated by all the faen correct? So what would it mean if they were actually defeated. how would the world change?

9. Erandil

Erandil Minister of Magic

On his blog he talked a few times about writing other stories in the same world with new characters or some who are only mentioned in passing.

And I don´t think that the Chandrin are dead.. doesn´t Bast still fear them? He probably only killed some of them and allowed the passing of those spiders into the real world.

10. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Or maybe he failed. Given that the world seems to have gone to shit since Kvothe gave up his name and became an innkeeper, it wouldn't surprise me that he did something hilariously stupid (and likely insanely awesome) and it brought the Scrael into the real world.

11. Feoffic

I doubt Kvothe killed any of them, unless he got some super power up right before hand.

Agreed. If Kvothe had succeeded then he wouldn't be hiding out as an innkeeper in some podunk town waiting for the apocalypse to finish.

12. syed

syed Supermod

The seven dont seem the type to simply let kvothe alone, they hide from some groups because they fear them, but this mortal is all by himself and so very young, it just will not sit with them to fear a mortal man, a half trained user of the meager magic of man. ALso, he does know secret they would rather behiden.
    If they could, they will kill him. SO WHile some may still live, they have been diminsshed in some manor.

13. Exile

Exile High Inquisitor

If the 7 can't find him then they'd leave him alone.

I could see him killing one of the 7, most like Cinder, if he jumps into a massive power grab or recruits some help.

Clearly something goes terribly wrong. We already know this is a story about the hero failing.

14. Ragon

Ragon Dark Lord

I get the feeling he partially succeeded, but at a cost. Chronicler's story about tricking a demon to get his hearts desire, but having to fight an angel to keep it suggests that.

As far as getting more power or help, I think it boils down to what it always has: knowledge and his mind. He knows things most people, even arcanists, don't know and he isn't giving up his search for knowledge. Granted he will probably stumble into a secret that has been hidden for thousands of years while looking for something else.

The power will be naming, kinda obvious. He has learned to see, at times, and speak, at times; so next he will learn to do it at will and that will be what makes him strong enough.

It's easy to forget just how good he is considering we know the secrets behind a lot of the stories and his reputation. But Kvothe is still an extremely intelligent and talented arcanist. He is a namer and one of the best sympathists in years. His legend is bigger than the reality, but he is still Kvothe the Bloodless, Kvothe the Arcane, and Kvothe Kingkiller. He has bought and paid for those names by the age of 25(estimation).

15. Another Empty Frame

Another Empty Frame Fake Flamingo DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Whoa hold on? quote for this? because that sounds like either tricking Breton/Master Ash/Cinder for Denna then fighting one of the Amyr or something completely new... but that's what it sounds like.

16. Ashan

Ashan Groundskeeper DLP Supporter

The Name of the Wind (Book one), Chapter Six (I think), where Chronicler introduces himself to Kvothe and tries to convince him to share his story.

17. Ragon

Ragon Dark Lord

Granted it is a story about Kvothe and as we know there is usually a fair bit of exaggeration and letting people believe what they want with those stories, but all of them are based on something that really happened and the older he gets the more the stories start to resemble what really happened.

18. syed

syed Supermod

I kinda think Kvothe might not have killed any of the chandrin, but instead finished and improved his father's song, and spread it to the 4 corners. THe very knowledge they have spent centuries to destroy, is now released to all. If the world knew their strengths and weaknesses and how to detect them, it would make life very un comfortable for them.

19. Thyestean

Thyestean Slug Club Member

We have met Haliax, he will kill anyone for saying things that shouldn't be said. He would raze towns to the ground if they were singing a song about him. It is a taboo for a reason. Even if he did finish the song and release it, the song would be unsung, because they would hunt you down. While I think he will gain the knowledge to complete the song, he would only use it to summon them, not barter it for drinks and a place to sleep.

The tricking a demon and fighting an angel part of the story is intriguing. I totally forgot about it. While I do not believe the story behind that will be so simple, the only thing that makes sense is he tricks the seven. Most likely Brendan (who we have decent evidence that points to him as Denna's patron) and has to fight the amyr to keep her. I would imagine the amyr are not to happy with her and her song about lanre as a hero.

Then again, I don't think Denna is his hearts desire. He wants the power to make the chandrin pay, and who else would have the knowledge other than the amyr. Maybe he tricks them for the knowledge and has to fight them to keep it. Which might be tied into the locked door within the university.

Edit: I thought about it and I realized something. People are ignorant of what is truly going on in the world, so they invent ideas and names that would mesh with their view of the universe. We know there are no demons, however, people say he tricked a demon. What is referred to as a demon, the scrael. This makes me believe in order to get his hearts desire he brought the scrael to the commonwealth and earned the amyr's ire. Or something to that effect.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2013
  20. Xantam

Xantam Denarii Host

I'm sure it's somewhere in this thread, but could anyone summarize the evidence that suggest Brendan is Denna's patron? I find it far more likely that it is Cinder, and I don't think there is any strong evidence which says they are the same person.