1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete The Wise One Trilogy by UnexpectedInspiration - T

Discussion in 'The Alternates' started by Skeletaure, May 7, 2008.

1. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Rahkesh Asmodaeus THUNDAH Bawd Admin DLP Supporter

I liked the story mostly, but I agree with nuhuh on his point about Dumbledore. The line where he says, "Oh fuck," irked me, because Dumbledore would never say that, and especially not in front of others.

It was slow paced, but it allowed Harry and Sirius to actually get accustomed to each other, rather than the normal, "OMG HE'S MY GODFATHER I'M IMMEDIATELY COMFORTABLE HUGGING HIM AND TREATING HIM LIKE MY FATHER!"

If nothing else, the guy has character development down pat. We see Sirius and Harry grow closer and fonder of each other, going from being uncomfortable giving hugs to one another to seeing each other as father and son. We also see new personalities in the major canon characters, such as Ron, Hermione, and Neville. The one character the author fucked up seems to be Dumbledore. But I think that's because the author hates Dumbledore, but won't succumb to the level of others in his bashing of the old man. There is bashing, but it is slight and not overly done.

The story gets plus points for not following the same canon story line, with Neville in the place of Harry Potter, and becoming best friends with Ron and Hermione. It's original in that aspect, which I appreciated.

If you're looking for action, this isn't the thing. It's slow paced, but it gives the reader a chance to get to know the characters. I'll give the story a 4/5, because of his characterization of Dumbledore.

2. Bucks

Bucks Headmaster DLP Supporter

I think all of book one will be slow paced. On a plus note it ends on chapter 26 and book 2 is bound to have more action.

3. Dirk Diggory

Dirk Diggory Seventh Year

I liked it at first, but the pace is just too damn slow. There's no conflict, it's like reading someone's diary.

Hopefully they return to England soon and something starts to happen.

4. JoJo23

JoJo23 Unspeakable

New update and the author is considering making Harry bi as he goes to an all boys school. FAIL.

5. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

I think this is one of the few stories where slash won't bother me much. It's obvious the author is not some horny fangirl but a serious writer testing his skills by playing around with characters. It might even be interesting to see how he handles it.

6. ParseltonguePhoenix

ParseltonguePhoenix Unspeakable

While I can't say I'm excited about slash at all, I like other things about the latest update. Mostly the way the author handled Pettigrew's emergence. The way he took Neville by surprise and let him know (inadvertantly and through Remus) that Harry was most likely not dead at all was well thought out.

The way Remus put out the notice for Sirius if he'd finished reading was clever, too. One of those things that seems really realist; skipping the classifieds on the day that it could have been most advantageous to keep reading.

Hopefully, if he feels like he has to go slash for a bit, the author will handle it well and (as he put it) tastefully. Which means I won't have to read anything blatantly buttsecks.

7. Bukay

Bukay Professor DLP Supporter

This one is a good and enjoyable read...
    Good characterisation, no stupid mistakes/moments...

4/5 for me

8. enembee

enembee The Nicromancer DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Mention of wikipedia killed it for me.

9. Vir

Vir Centauri Ambassador ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I skipped the entire Hogwarts parts, I didn't want to read about things that Harry wouldn't know what was going on. It didn't interest me in that fashion. Although, I do like the characterization of Sirius, props there.

I'll have to agree with Nuhuh, it seems like a fairly regular cookie-cutter indy!Harry.

10. Marsupial

Marsupial Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

Truth. I'll keep reading it, but that pissed me off to no end; it was gratuitous in the extreme and added absolutely nothing to the plot.

11. Bukay

You have to remember that the date of 1980 as the birth of Harry was detailed only in DH and CoS. Before it was up to the author as to when the story took place (although it was commonly believed to take 1991 as the first year of Hogwarts)

12. Averis

Averis Don of Delivery ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Meh, I thought I was the first to recognize the wikipedia part for what it was--crap. That's where I am right now anyway.

Shit like that bothers me, but I'll keep reading because it's different from anything I've read thus far. No promises of greatness once he reaches Hogwarts but... I don't know. We'll see.

When I finish I'll give a full review.

13. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

Where does it say so in CoS? I know about graves in DH, but I can't remember anything like that in CoS.

14. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    From the HP Lexicon:

15. Marsupial

Marsupial Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

The anachronism is a small part of the annoyance, yes, but I repeat: it was gratuitous in the extreme and added absolutely nothing to the plot. I don't mind if the time in which the books are set is altered - it doesn't bother me in the slightest if there's a decent reason for it - but the Wikipedia reference was utterly retarded.

16. JoJo23

JoJo23 Unspeakable

I'm pretty sure wikipedia was around in the 90's.

17. Bukay

here you go:

18. Kai Shek

Kai Shek Supreme Mugwump

I looked Wikipedia up on Wikipedia... I know... I know

Launched in 2001.

19. JoJo23

JoJo23 Unspeakable

Well I'll be dammed, I remember looking up news on a wiki site before then. I assumed it was wikipedia.

20. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Bukay: Look up 3 posts.