1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

The Witcher video games

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Jibril, Oct 26, 2007.

?

What do you think about The Witcher video game?

1. I am no man. I am Witcher - (you are a Pole or you are Andrzej Sapkowski fanatic)

89 vote(s)
    36.8%
  2. This game is good.

110 vote(s)
    45.5%
  3. Just another RPG.

18 vote(s)
    7.4%
  4. Meh.

25 vote(s)
    10.3%
  1. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

I wish you could do more, chapter 1 was awesome, as was the prologue. And you need much larger areas to run around in, the world feels too small. Other then that, only the constant loading bugged the hell out of me.

2. KeshinNoAkui

KeshinNoAkui Seventh Year

The constant loadings are annoying, but it's better than previous versions, when there was a 50% chance of crashing. At least it only loads when entering unique areas (peoples houses, Inns, etc), and won't reload unless you leave the area and re-enter (like going from the Swamps in chapter 2 to Dike, and back).

I beat the game a few days ago, and found it very enjoyable, however some people have complained the boss is too hard. I didn't find him hard, though I went out of my way to do numerous side-quests for money and items, and ended up at level 30ish by the end. Also got a good number of the female "score" cards, though I know there's a few I missed that aren't story-related.

I plan on redoing the game, with just doing plot-missions (on hard; played Medium first time through) to see if that makes the game harder or not. Still, it's well worth the money invested, though now I have to track down the books to find out White Wolfs full past (the game's set 5 years after the last book), since what's shown is rather interesting.

3. Chadrew

Chadrew Second Year

I loved the books, so I just might get the game just for that.

4. Jibril

Jibril Headmaster

The Last Wish USA edition. And you have to wait for the rest of books. Or learn Polish ;) I would recomend learning Polish because you would understood the beauty of word wychędożyć.
    I had the same feeling. On medium the game is sometimes to easy. Now I'm playing on hard as sign/alchemy witcher that doesn't invest into fighting.
    EDIT: Oh, I almost forgot. Wychędożyć means fucking but it is an Old Polish form. And that is it's beauty.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2008
  5. Kardikek

Kardikek Groundskeeper

I assumed that you'd have to actually make a choice in regards to your point investment for the replayability factor but now almost getting to the point where I spawn silver points per level I realize that I'll probably have 80-90% of all bronze point skills by then.

Does anyone know if this trend continues? Because then the only difference in gameplay would pretty much be in which order you get your skills.

Signs are utter shit compared to melee mashing so far. The only time I ever "needed" signs was against that ghoul boss in the crypts. Had to resort to lameness to beat him through using fire sign, run away, wait for immolations to tick, fire sign, run away ad nauseum.

Oh and the loading screens wasn't a biggie, I have a laptop on the side where I can watch Scrubs during loading times :p

Oh sorry, do you know how to deal with the inventory issue? Being a packrat I pick all herbs, loot all corpses and it adds up you know. Though insofar I've only gotten good use out of the see in the dark potion and the vitality increasing potion I still keep too much on me...

Last edited: Jan 28, 2008
  6. KeshinNoAkui

Depending on how you play, bronze skill points will either be used for a balanced character, or just be sitting in your "skill pool", as you've got all you need for how you approach the game.

At higher difficulties/later in the game, having some points invested in Intelligence for Alchemy items is a smart choice, especially for some of the higher-end potions that make boss fights a cinch (Wolverine, Full Moon, etc), and it's always smart to get 50 of each "element" for Alchemy (Vitrol, Reuben, etc) as well as 20 of two different high-quality alcohols, or a good stash of White Gull (which is needed for some of the "Mutagen" potions that grant special abilities). Though, on the lower difficulties you'll only really use potions when fights get out of control, and after using them, the fights end pretty quickly.

Signs, while ineffective most of the time, are a godsend against some of the tougher enemies (the plants in the swamps in chapter 2 come to mind), as well as later in the game when you have multiples of enemies after you, especially in the final chapter with the Greater Brothers and such, as a high-leveled Ignii sign (the fire one) can inflict a godly amount of damage on them, taking off about half of their life, and causes Incineration + Pain which make's an easy target to deal with afterwards.

As for inventory, well the best suggestion is to only take the valuable items that could fetch a good amount of gold (Precious stones, Alchemy formulas, books, etc), any high-quality (even medium quality works) alcohol, and alchemy items. On the subject of alchemy items, my suggestion from earlier stands; find a good source of alchemy items that can cover most (if not all) "elements" for the potions, and get 50 of all (the max you can get without taking up another inventory slot). Not only will it cut down on the space in your inventory (allowing for more items to sell for money for things like Excellent Leather Armor), but can come in handy when you need to stock up on potions for boss fights.

7. Kardikek

Kardikek Groundskeeper

Ah thanks! Now if only you could distil the items into their effective components for more order..

And *cough* that excellent leather armor, either I run back and forth from human corpses selling their weapons or I use a number finder and slightly alter my gold :p

8. Jibril

Jibril Headmaster

Signs are must in a fight with
    Koschey
    The bastard is though as hell and with three strikes can kill you. Without potions and signs (especcialy Queen - the shield sign) you're dead.
    Or books. They always where needed when you almost got the money for new leather armor.

9. Midknight

The Beast beat my ass on normal so many times I had to go find a trainer.

Replayed him a bunch of times without it, sometimes you get lucky and he's easy, other times it's a pain in the ass. I tried everything from the suggested potioning up hardcore before the fight, and then the tried and true stun and 1 hit method (which didn't always work, more like 1/3 the time)

I enjoyed that the game made me mad as shit that I had trouble with the guy, it was obvious I liked it enough to want to get past it that bad.

10. KeshinNoAkui

I'll admit I spent about 2 days trying to beat him, and looked around for hints. Ended up making a couple Blizzard potions and used 'em, which helped massively. Afterwards I made sure I was always stocked up on all kinds of potions, though I rarely used them.

Though, you could always just invest a skill point in the "Immunity to pain when drunk" skill, though that hinders your fighting skills (The Beast sometimes inflicts the ailment, which is annoying when surrounded by dogs as there's a 95% chance your dead when it happens).

11. Midknight

Yeah. As soon as he hits it you say goodbye to like 75% of your life straight off.

What I found worked the best was doing the blizzard pot, then switching to the iso view camera and dancing around him while Swallow regenned my hit points back up if I couldn't get a sigil to knock him down.

12. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

<_< So, in five weeks when my Deus-Ex-Machina-O'-mine is made. The Witcher will be the first game I play. So far I've read nothing but good reviews on here-- except for the inevitable loading. is there anything else I should know about?

13. Solomon

Solomon Heir

Yeah; one of the patches fixed the load times problem. They're still there, but they're actually pretty bearable now.

...As far as I know. *Is still in the middle of Act 1*

14. Jibril

Jibril Headmaster

I know I'm necroposting, but I got news.

Today or yesterday (or couple days ago) this was posted on YouTube.

CDProjekt RED had this confirmed.

The reaction on Polish sites is generally good. But people complain about motion capture and VO. From what is being said, the VO was done by developers and they used MC from the first game.

15. Solomon

Solomon Heir

For the most part, that looks really, really awesome. The only thing I can really complain about- given what we've seen so far- is the fact that they've decided QTEs are a good idea. When will developers realize they aren't fun?

16. Jibril

Jibril Headmaster

In my opinion in Witcher, the QTE should be added just for the finishing moves - to see Geralt's awesome sword play and him gutting his enemies in creative ways.

But I am more concerned with the dragon. In canon, Geralt stated that he does not hunt dragons, because they are not unnatural monsters. So if we are going to fight a dragon it has to be explained really, really well to pass.

17. Midknight

I keep meaning to reinstall this game since the Enhanced Edition came out, i never got very far into it, but it was an amazing game.

18. Bukay

Bukay Professor DLP Supporter

Geralt stated many times that he hunts unnatural beings - born from malice or dark magic (for example strzyga from promo scene). Dragons being what they are, are just powerful, inteligent creatures, but thay are part of natural cycle... Or at least that's what he told to his bard companion in the books.

So his reaction to a dragon attacking military camp would be: "What did you morons do to enrage him/her??" and than most likely he'd shrug and leave the soldiers to deal with their own mess.

19. Chime

Chime Dark Lord

I hated this game. Really I did. It was okay at first, I rather liked the initial plot elements and the evironment. But as soon as I entered the city, I realized I'd already gotten as far as the game was going to give me. Nothing new was after that point, and it was basically fighting enemy after enemy (with a boring combat system), making a few potions for bosses, and traversing badly-designed levels (swamp was terrible). Oh, and then you have the collectable sex cards. lol

It's playable, but I don't aniticpate the inevitable sequel. Especially after the ending (
    the death / break up of you "lover" is so anticlimactic and surreal it just soured the whole story
    ); I'll never replay it.

20. Jibril

Jibril Headmaster

The Witcher 2 will be officially announced at CDProjekt press conference at 25th March.

Debut Trailer - Triss spell was awesome:p

< returns to fighting with Win7 to instal and run Witcher >