1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

The Witcher video games

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Jibril, Oct 26, 2007.

?

What do you think about The Witcher video game?

1. I am no man. I am Witcher - (you are a Pole or you are Andrzej Sapkowski fanatic)

89 vote(s)
    36.8%
  2. This game is good.

110 vote(s)
    45.5%
  3. Just another RPG.

18 vote(s)
    7.4%
  4. Meh.

25 vote(s)
    10.3%
  1. Revenant

Revenant First Year

This.
    Can't wait for this game to come out now, especially since it was announced for the consoles as well.
    Going to replay Witcher all over again now :D

2. Aakunen

Aakunen Second Year

3. azrael

azrael Professor

I'm just now playing Witcher Extended Edition for the first time and it's fucking awesome. When does the new one get released?

4. Jibril

Jibril Headmaster

According to developers they will be working on the game till early 2011. So, IMO, probably summer or fall 2011. And between half a year to a year for console version.

5. Jibril

Jibril Headmaster

6. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

I'm going to buy it on the first day after release, but will not play it for the next two months. There is no way I will be able to finish my final thesis otherwise.

7. yak

yak Moderator DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Just a heads up on the censored version for Aussies and Kiwis. You can get the full version by changing your country of residence in the GOG.com profile to... any other nation. GOG have conveniently decided to disable geo-IP based country detection for their site and will instead send you the correct version of your game based on the info that you provide.

I'd recommend sticking to an English speaking country though, unless you want to get the Polish version or something.

More info here: http://games.on.net/article/12463/GOG.com_Removes_Country_IP_Detection

8. Jibril

Jibril Headmaster

But the only true way of playing The Witcher is to play it in Polish ;)

9. Grinning Lizard

Grinning Lizard Supreme Mugwump

So this came out yesterday, apparently. I was such a fan of the first Witcher, I'm contemplating downloading Steam and installing it right now, then going home early to play it.

Edit: Still at the office. Assuming it'd be installed and I'd be home already on this connection was folly.

Unless I'm completely missing something. Does this not mean it's released? /steam-noob.

Aw, between BC2, Mount&Blade: Warband, Medieval 2: Total War and the CS5 Adobe Production Suite, I'm so going to implode my laptop :(

Last edited: May 18, 2011
  10. yak

yak Moderator DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Yes, that means it's released on Steam. If it wasn't, then it'd say "pre-purchase" like it does for the upcoming Deus Ex game.

11. Testament

Testament Seventh Year

This game is awesome. I'm only a half-dozen hours into it and it already has me by the balls; it's grim, grizzly and it doesn't shy away from the brutal reality that must have been the Medieval Era. All the characterizations are top notch, especially liked the King.

Gameplay wise the combat is fast, brutal and takes a bit to get used to - prepare to die multiple times when going up against 5+ enemies. The use of your magic and items such as traps, bombs and potions are a must. Also spend a bit of time reading your journal, the game doesn't hold your hand while it guides you through a tutorial.

The only negative I have so far is the AI isn't exactly bright. You can literally lead all your foes into a tight passage, set a trap, and when the lead dude is stunned the rest just pile in behind allowing you to work you magic and easily take care of them. I try to avoid doing this since I feel it cheapens the experience, but if in a pinch the option is there.

Anyway that's my two cents. Best RPG I've played since DA and Morrowind.

12. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

Oh god.

It's awesome

But I forgot how draining it is to play for long periods of time.

13. Grinning Lizard

Yeah, my laptop completely can't handle it. Going to redownload on a desktop this evening. Massively depressing lol.

14. azrael

azrael Professor

As much as I really want this game, I really doubt that my computer can play it, and I'm not going to waste $50 just to find out that my comp isn't good enough

15. w1lliam

w1lliam Groundskeeper

Why redownload? Just copy the steam folder across.

16. Deplore

Deplore Seventh Year

Computer specs? You'll find that most games are fairly forgiving on relatively old systems (barring Metro or Crysis).

17. azrael

azrael Professor

Intel Core 2 Duo 2.53 GHz CPU, 4.00 Gb RAM, ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3670 video card, running on 64 bit Vista. As you may have noticed from the video card, its a laptop. My main concern is the video card; I'm pretty sure it is below even the min requirements listed on steam. If I can run it, it definitely won't be at the best quality.

18. Deplore

Deplore Seventh Year

I think it would run the game. I certainly wont say it will be trouble free or smooth per-se, but if you turn down some visual settings, it'll become playable.

That 3670m is already a big jump from 90% of the laptop GPU on the market. I half expected you to say that your laptop had a integrated Intel graphics or something like that.

19. Grinning Lizard

So.

Where the fuck is Cedric?

I'm near the end of the first chapter (Hard difficulty), on the Where is Triss Merigold? quest, supposedly following a trail of blood that doesn't exist to find fucking Cedric. It's 3am. I defeated the fucking Kayran in two tries, but I can't find Cedric. Any help from ye other players would be very much appreciated.

Edit found him. Still no trail of blood. By the waterfall. Literally the only thing about this game so far that's pissed me off.

Last edited: May 21, 2011
  20. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

Lizard, if you use Cat the trail is illuminated bro.