1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

The Witcher video games

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Jibril, Oct 26, 2007.

?

What do you think about The Witcher video game?

1. I am no man. I am Witcher - (you are a Pole or you are Andrzej Sapkowski fanatic)

89 vote(s)
    36.8%
  2. This game is good.

110 vote(s)
    45.5%
  3. Just another RPG.

18 vote(s)
    7.4%
  4. Meh.

25 vote(s)
    10.3%
  1. Grinning Lizard

Grinning Lizard Supreme Mugwump

:facepalm

Cheers though.

2. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

I finished it.

I thoroughly enjoyed it and do not regret spending the last two days playing it almost for every waking hour.

I went with Roche..

..and then once I finished I decided to go back to the save in Flotsam and go with Iorveth.. and so far it seems that the main concept is the same, kinda sad about that, but Phillipa is interesting to say the least.

Wish it was longer though. :\

it seems so short for some reason..

Also, not enough sex, lolololol.

3. Grinning Lizard

Just finished.

Very good. An entire Saturday spent indoors, but probably worth it. I'll echo the 'too short' sentiment, and will at some point replay it slowly, taking the time to do all the side-quests and such, and probably on the hardest difficulty setting. I will use signs and potions for the entire game, instead of just the final few hours lol. I was actually surprised it ended where it did - an awful lot was left unfinished, but I suppose that's leaving room for a sequel. I went with Iorveth, and once or twice went back to the prior save to redo a decision. Not sure it gripped me story-wise quite as much as the first one did, but the actual gameplay was probably better.

But yeah, a lot of fun. On the whole about on par with the first one, as far as I'm concerned, but that's not a bad thing.

4. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

Lizard, now go back and play through Roche's line.

5. JohnThePyro

JohnThePyro Headmaster

So, is it worth playing without having finished the first? I never really got through the original Witcher, as the graphics and terrible voice acting really turned me off.

6. Grinning Lizard

Voice acting still leaves something to be desired, but the graphics are bucketloads better. It's good fun in general. That said, if you really didn't like the first, you probably aren't going to be wild about this one - they're fairly similar in the way the story's told and despite using a new engine it has a very similar feel. Combat and camera were my two peeves with the original, and in both this has improved to some extent.

7. w1lliam

w1lliam Groundskeeper

1st ones downloading as I type, and o have all day to play. Yay!

8. JohnThePyro

JohnThePyro Headmaster

Downloaded to test, either the copy I downloaded was shit or I'm going to have to finally upgrade my PC. On medium the cutscenes were jaggy, fps kept frame skipping, and it felt like the audio was out of sync with the video.

9. yak

yak Moderator DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Did you upgrade to the Enhanced Edition of the original Witcher? It was a free upgrade with re-recorded voices, overhauled graphics and animations, new quests, gameplay improvements, and a few other bits and pieces. It was released about a year after the original edition.

10. JohnThePyro

JohnThePyro Headmaster

Yep, that's the version I have on steam. I still couldn't get into it. The voice acting was *way* too jarring to me.

11. CBH

CBH Sixth Year

Sorry for the necro, but I thought people might like to know that the Witcher 2 download is on sale at Amazon for $16. It apparently also gives you $5 credit towards 2011 best selling games. Haven't bought it yet but I probably will soon.

12. Quick Ben

Quick Ben In ur docs, stealin ur werds.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2012
  13. Jibril

Jibril Headmaster

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt was revealed on Game Informer march cover - here.

What can we except? Game world 30 times bigger than previous game - bigger than Skyrim. More emphasis will be put on monster hunting - in previous games it was more of a side quest, this time it will be one of the main features.

The game will continue Geralts personal quest from the end of Witcher 2, and will deal also with Nilfgardian invasion of the North.

Coming in 2014 on PCs and "all high-end platforms available" (newspeak for next-gens).

[​IMG]
    Eurogamer

Last edited: Feb 5, 2013
  14. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

Nilfgaardian invasion (I wonder if Emhyr is still the Emperor), Yennefer and the Wild Hunt. Just add Ciri (I think it may be her on the promotion art since it's someone with blond hair) and we will finally get a proper Witcher game. :)

15. Jibril

Jibril Headmaster

Emhyr var Emreis, Deithwen Addan yn Carn aep Morvudd is still the Emperor - Shillard confirmed that in Witcher 2. And IMO it's not Ciri - Kelpie is black and I don't see Ciri changing her horse on a whim. Also - she is a witcher, and carries her sword on her back.
    Besides, she's probably busy screwing Galahad ;)

Also if we could meet Borch and Ihuarraquax I would be happy.

16. Celestin

Could be an artist's mistake or there is a reason why she changed her horse. As for the sword, maybe Galahad convinced her that it's not a proper way to carry it. ;)

Anyway, what other character with blond hair could it be, because it seems to me that it was intentionally made visible to make us guess.

17. Jibril

Jibril Headmaster

Could be an OC created for the purpose of teasing the fans. Or it's just an artwork and nothing else. And it appears that the sword of the blond character is a witchers sword - so IMO it's clearly a tease. If that is Ciri I demand that she appears from a portal on a horse - any other way would just be boring.

Also I demand Harry Potter reference - and with Ciri it could be done easily :awesome

18. Celestin

Normally I would also think it's just a teaser, but since a focus in on the Wild Hunt, it would make sense to see her return.

Also, the creators mention that there will be a more meaningful romance it the game and I'm pretty sure that will be a love triangle between Geralt, Yennefer and Triss. And it will be an interesting choice to make, because even if Yennefer is the love of book!Geralt's life (i.e. the canon Geralt), Triss is the love of game!Geralt's life (i.e. my version of Geralt).

19. Jibril

Jibril Headmaster

Ciri returning from an extended trip through dimensions and making references to all the current fantasy setings?
    Harry Potter - "I ended up in a castle that was a school for young sorceres. It was run by some sorceror that lookd like Vilgefrotz so I bailed out of there as quickly as I could."

On a more serious note - I think the entire thing about Yennefer will be a plot of the King of the Wild Hunt. To make Geralt find Yennefer, than snatch them, and use them as bait for Ciri. After all, that is the main goal of the Wild Hunt - to capture Ciri.

Super-duper teaser trailer that shows nothing - and informs you to subscribe to a newsletter to get pre-order information.

20. Grinning Lizard

Cum.

So much cum.