1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

The Witcher video games

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Jibril, Oct 26, 2007.

?

What do you think about The Witcher video game?

1. I am no man. I am Witcher - (you are a Pole or you are Andrzej Sapkowski fanatic)

89 vote(s)
    36.8%
  2. This game is good.

110 vote(s)
    45.5%
  3. Just another RPG.

18 vote(s)
    7.4%
  4. Meh.

25 vote(s)
    10.3%
  1. Erandil

Erandil Minister of Magic

It sounds really great but I fear they promise to much...

I have yet to see an open world game with a really good story or even characters for that matter. Or one which managed to show the consequences of the player actions. (Skyrim showed how spectacular something like that can fail). Oh.. and the mention of consoles doesn´t really comfort me either too often games get simplified for them.

Still CD Project Red has never disappointed me so I hope for the best.. because even if they only accomplish half of what they plan it will be glorious.

2. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

This video all but confirms that Ciri will be involved in this story.

3. Jibril

Jibril Headmaster

Yep. Cirilla Fiona Ellen Riannon all but confirmed.

I just hope, that CDRed don't fuck up her character model. IMO, except Triss, every female canon character model was mediocre - especially the sorceresses from the Lodge.

4. Celestin

Philippa wasn't that bad either, but I agree that they all could be done a lot better. And don't forget Yennefer. Her model should be as good looking as Triss. Otherwise it will not be a very hard decision to choose between them. ;)

From the Lodge I would like to see Francesca, but I don't think they would capture her beauty properly.

5. Jibril

Jibril Headmaster

True. With Francesca, it would be film Fleur all over again. But enough of this off-topic. I'm more interested in those four commanders of Wild Hunt.

(bellow MAJOR spoilers from the Witcher Saga - read at your own peril)
    As those who read the books know what the Wild Hunt truly is. Just a bunch of dimension travelling racist elves, hell bent on exterminating humans, we know of two of their leaders - Sparrowhawk, the King of the Hunt and Avallac'h. But who are the other two?

6. Erandil

Erandil Minister of Magic

Triss will have the clear advantage no matter how Yennefer looks... Yennefer is a very unsympathetic character and it will be interesting to see how they explain Geralts fascination with her.

And Cirilla not only rocks (probably the only character that comes near being a Mary Sue), her being in the game gives me the small hope for a CD Projekt RED King Arthur game with her in it.

7. Dasha

Dasha Second Year DLP Supporter

Why? It's been a while since I read the books, but I remember looking forward to every scene with her. Triss was ok, a bit meh actually. Ciri on the other hand.. I stoped reading the books because of her several times.

8. yak

yak Moderator DLP Supporter Retired Staff

CD Projekt RED devs rebalance Witcher 2 with unofficial combat mod

Check out the changelog: http://games.on.net/2013/06/cd-projekt-red-devs-rebalance-witcher-2-with-unofficial-combat-mod/

9. Grinning Lizard

Grinning Lizard Supreme Mugwump

I fucking love CD Projekt RED. Those guys are just so... legit.

[IMGUR]YH6WJgZ[/IMGUR]

Actually giving a shit about the game you had a hand in making = doing it right.

10. Jibril

Jibril Headmaster

CDProjekt Red just updated The Witcher 3 website with a pack of wallpapers and music from trailers.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'm pumped for this game and I hope that the Slavic feel that was present in the first game, will return in this one.

BTW Celestin, are you still considering writing - even a snippet - of that HP/The Witcher crossover you mentioned?

11. Celestin

Maybe a snipped if I have a nice scene for it.

I'm thinking about either Harry and Ciri versus the Lodge. That would be more badass version of him to challenge all ladies in it. Or more normal Harry traveling with Geralt. A tale of an epic bromance and jealous Jaskier. :)

12. Jibril

Jibril Headmaster

No. Harry AND Jaskier travelling around. With Harry lucky/unlucky - depending on your opinion - enough that Jaskier was the first person he meets in this world, and was nice enough to allow him to tag along to the nearest town (i.e. brothel) ;)

On a more serious note: end of Chamber of Secrets, Harry faces the basilisk and suddenly: "Well, Kelpie/Horsie. It doesn't look like home." :p

13. Red Aviary

Red Aviary Hogdorinclawpuff ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
  14. Jibril

Jibril Headmaster

I was about to post it. Here is the Polish version of it.

I'm wondering, to whom the old voice belongs to - my money is on Vesimir.

--- --- ---
    EDIT: Charles Dance was anounced to performe the role of Emhyr var Emreis, the Emperor of Nilfgaard in The Witcher 3. Coulde it be the first role, in which the English version could be better than original Polish?

Last edited: Aug 14, 2013
  15. meev

meev Groundskeeper

I thought I couldn't get more hyped for this game. I was so so wrong.

16. Invictus

Invictus Master of Death

I just bought The Witcher 1 and 2 on steam sale. It's my brother favorite game, together with Blood Omen, and he just keeps talking about it nonstop. I'm really looking forward to play it.

Also, CD Projekt is what the ideal video game company would look like. They care deeply about thei games, and care as much about their fans. And they even care about their characters. They are amazing and very well talented. I only played the first hour of the witcher 1 and my brother said it was originally a game that focused only on a small market, Poles and fans of the books. And I couldn't believed it. If that's true, wow. Simply amazing.

Edit: Holy Shit! Just saw it. Charles Dance is doing the Emperor's voice. Oh my fucking god, this is awesome. My brother told me who the emperor is, and, fuck yeah.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2013
  17. Celestin

Maybe. Depends on how well his dialogs translate into English. Most of times they are not even half as good as in Polish version. And I usually think that everything sounds better in English. Just not in The Witcher.

18. Jibril

Jibril Headmaster

QFT. The only true and proper way of playing The Witcher is to play it in Polish, with your local subtitles.

We will have to wait to see who will play Emhyr in Polish version, and then decide which version of that character is better. If Kolberger was still alive, I would cast him as Emhyr, as his voice made Irenicus such an awesome character.

19. Celestin

After reading that Dance was cast as Emhyr I was wondering who would be perfect choice for similar kind of voice in Polish and Kolberger was perfect for this role. He was amazing in BG2.

20. Celestin

And as promised about a year ago Sapkowki will publish a new Witcher novel titled Season of Storms. Apparently it will be midquel of sorts and (not surprisingly) will ignore games.

No date yet, but my bet is it will be close to Witcher 3 release date.