1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

The Witcher video games

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Jibril, Oct 26, 2007.

?

What do you think about The Witcher video game?

1. I am no man. I am Witcher - (you are a Pole or you are Andrzej Sapkowski fanatic)

89 vote(s)
    36.8%
  2. This game is good.

110 vote(s)
    45.5%
  3. Just another RPG.

18 vote(s)
    7.4%
  4. Meh.

25 vote(s)
    10.3%
  1. Jibril

Jibril Headmaster

<squeals in glee, like a little girl> :D:awesome

Oh, first chapter preview - only in Polish (PDF file)

Last edited: Oct 25, 2013
  2. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

3. Jibril

Jibril Headmaster

Personally, I'm betting summer 2014 or just before it.

@Celestin - After seeing this trailer and the Wild Hunt I will quote Marshall Milan Raupenneck - Dobry elf, to martwy elf.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2013
  4. Darth Disaster

Darth Disaster The Waking Sith ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
  5. Jibril

Jibril Headmaster

6. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

7. Quick Ben

Quick Ben In ur docs, stealin ur werds.

It looks soo much better but I was a little dissapointed with this trailer especially with how much I was looking forward to it.

Hopefully the next thing they show will be meaty or just go the Rockstar way and the next time we see it is when its released.

8. NTD

NTD High Inquisitor

9. Iztiak

Iztiak Prisoner DLP Supporter

Well, that will give me the time to put together a PC capable of actually playing it, at least.

10. Gengar

Gengar Degenerate Shrimp –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Might be preferable / cheaper to get a steam machine by then.

11. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

Link

Most anticipated game of the year for me, at least it was until the latest eta put it at being released in Feb 2015. >_<

Seriously can't wait. Replaying Witcher 1 & 2. Such great games. One is a bit tougher to get into, but despite how dated it is it's still a joy once you get over that hurdle.

12. yak

yak Moderator DLP Supporter Retired Staff

I'm glad that they have the cajones to push it back. Getting an open world game right is hella hard to do. If it needs more time before release, then by all means take it. Even if they have to push it back to a Christmas 2015 release, I'd be happy. Better than a half baked game pushed out prematurely to meet a deadline.

"It's done when it's done" is a great motto if your studio has the money to bankroll it.

13. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

The entire studio has my respect for the choices they make.

yak
  14. Gengar

Gengar Degenerate Shrimp –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Think they might have pushed it back so they're not releasing simultaneously with dragon age?

Think what you will about either game, but they surely would have cannibalised each other's numbers.

15. Odran

Odran Fourth Champion

Not really. They might be both RPGs, but that's it. A shitload of the new audience for the Dragon Age games see nothing they like in the Witcher games. Coincidentally, more than a few of the vocal posters on the BSN forums who voice their dislike of the Witcher setting in general are complaining they can't play as anything else but a straight white male.

Tedious and irrelevant shit aside, god damn it, I loved both Witcher games, the first more than the second, if simply for the soundtrack and oil-painting artwork, but this wait until 2015... gonna kill me. Which means naturally that CP2077 will get pushed back two years too.

16. Quick Ben

Quick Ben In ur docs, stealin ur werds.

They've said that the delay doesn't affect Cyberpunk's development at all.

17. Averis

Averis Don of Delivery ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I have never played any of the Witcher games, but based on the hype surrounding this one, I might pick it up for PS4 when it comes out. It looks awesome.

18. Odran

Odran Fourth Champion

In that case, that's fantastic news. So only a year or two to wait for it to come out.

If you got a decent PC, get the first two as well. While admittedly the first game isn't all that spectacular in terms of gameplay or looks (the game actually runs on a modified Aurora engine that was used for the first Neverwinter Nights game and its expansions), I feel like the writing and just the general feel of the game make up for it. Then again, I still remain a fan of games like Planescape Torment, so take my recommendation for the first Witcher game with a grain of salt.

The second though... you could play it easily enough without having to play the first one, it's got both decent looks and improved gameplay. Just remember to play it on the PC though, I fear the 360 version suffers quite a bit in the visuals department.

19. Averis

Averis Don of Delivery ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    To be sure the PS4/XBOX One version would look as good as PC? In any case, I never played the other Elder Scrolls games (Oblivion was my first) and was just as absorbed in the world. My question is, regarding the first two games, are the storylines intertwined is some way? Like, if I start playing 3, will I need to know what happened at the end of 2?

20. Odran

Odran Fourth Champion

As much as I would have liked it otherwise, no, not really. Some small things carried over from the first game into the second, and I presume the same is going to be the case for the second and third game. Some minor details might pop up here and there to remind you of the stuff Geralt did in your save games, but otherwise nothing plot-important.

The Witcher 2 though has some story-relevant revelations that might help you understand the third game better, but nothing that will impede you from enjoying it.

Read up if you like via some wiki entry what's Witcher 2 about if you decide not to play the game, if only to understand Geralt's motivations for the third game.

I'd recommend books too, but from what I understand the Witcher books aren't translated fully in English, which is kind of baffling, since my country has them fully translated and so do many others.