1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned The Wizard of Gotham by Skysaber - T - Batman

Discussion in 'The Alternates' started by knothead, Apr 29, 2007.

1. yojorocks

yojorocks Seventh Year

I have to say that for such an off the wall concept, it was surprisingly enjoying; I find it highly amusing how everyone has different conspiracy theories floating around in the stories yet not one is close to the truth that only Ivy truly knows.

Truly ingenious plot, and the twists manage to catch me off guard all the time. 4.5/5

2. parselmaster

parselmaster Sixth Year DLP Supporter

Skysaber, I had heard of his reaction over several groups and forums a few years back and thus was hesitant to read this work. I found that many people had copied his stories and claimed them for themselves. They then accused him. One man at one of the yahoo groups had admitted to stealing skysaber's works and publicly apologized for doing this because he hadn't wanted to cause skysaber to quit (Does anyone remember that apology?)

I thought someone was stealing his name but regardless I found this story to be vastly amusing. The Batman's detective skills are amazing but the ironic twists are turning even that into good fun. The blatant out of character scenes with snape were interesting but didn't really catch my eye. I was relieved that Ivy was to have her plant abilities back, as she just isn't Ivy without those.
    The spelling and gammer are much better than many I've had the... pleasure, to find in most areas of the site. Thus I am satisfied in that sect.
    A thing that bugged me though was the bruising of Superman's jaw. It appears a stunning spell was used but I am uncertain. A child of Harry's current age and apparent, if enhanced, strength could not leave a bruise on the 'Man of Steel'

3. Stalicon

Stalicon High Inquisitor

Your telling me an eight year old can't give you a bruise?

I call bullshit.

Edit: I ment an eight year old who can use magic, lol.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2007
  4. parselmaster

Am I the man of steel? The one that takes blows from super villains without a scratch, bruise or even ruffled clothing in many cases? I think not. An eight year old can bruise me, throwing a toy at my head being an example but I do not have the abilities or invulnerability of Superman, the one being bruised. How is that bullshit (pardon my uncloth language)?

Last edited: Jun 17, 2007
  5. Warlocke

Warlocke Fourth Champion

I think the word you're looking for is 'uncouth' but I agree with you.

The reason given for Harry 'knocking out' Superman is that the punch was actually augmented with a stunning spell and the Man of Steel is vulnerable to magic. That explains why Superman was rendered unconscious, not why he was bruised. For Harry to have bruised him, it would have to have been more than just a stunner. Either that or the author slipped up a bit.

Anyway, I'm still enjoying the story.

6. deathtehfluffybunny

deathtehfluffybunny Fourth Year

Bruising spell or coloring spell, you be the judge.

7. parselmaster

Yes, the word I had intended was 'uncouth,' thank you for correcting me. I still enjoy the story regardless as well. Superman being vulnerable to magic would explain the occurence quite well.

Now a bruising spell? I hadn't given thought to that. That could work as well, but not for the unconsciousness superman received at the end of it. And a coloring spell wouldn't have had that effect either.

8. deathtehfluffybunny

deathtehfluffybunny Fourth Year

Accidental magic, multiple instantaneous results, let's prepare before we argue.

9. Jenkins

Jenkins Forum Bike DLP Supporter

This fic is kinda bumpy. It'll go from a really good chapter to a bad one then flick back up to a good moment. However, all in all, I think for an idea that has as much potential as this one, Skysaber could've done a LOT better. 2.5/5 I'd say.

10. Garret P.I.

Garret P.I. Backtraced

Skysaber has always been hilarious when he gets a good gag running. I remember him from back on the FFML (If you don't know what it is... go look it up)

I'm enjoying it for the humor value. 3.5/5 (.5 off for the bumpy nature of the fic)

Sky and CarrotGlace are two of my favorite Ranma 1/2 fanfic authors.

11. Magnus

Magnus First Year

The author did mention him having a bit of super strength. Add that to his magic and you have a plausible explanation.

12. Andro

Andro Master of Death DLP Supporter

13. Niffler Lord

Niffler Lord Headmaster

I still go back and read some of their fics from time to time.

And like the others I like this one too. Especially how Harry considers Batman a meanie...

4/5

14. PsyckoSama

PsyckoSama Groundskeeper

And now everyone thinks Bats is James... I wonder how long it will be before "The Headmaster" give him some Potter on the Brains.

15. Brei

Brei Squib

It is a funny story. I actually read the story after submitting a Batman/HP plot bunny to another board that I belong to and someone brought this fic up.

16. Helltanz98

Helltanz98 Professor

Opinion statement

It is a pretty amusing story, though it would be nice to see an update. Though is it not cliche for some one living in America to go Hogwarts?
    Ciao.

17. Andro

Andro Master of Death DLP Supporter

Does anyone else think it's a stereotype? America is the country that needs countless superheroes and caped crusaders the most?

18. Brei

Brei Squib

Not just America, New York City/Gothom City apparantly. If you count 'em, NYC's got not just Bats, but Superman, Spider-man, and the X-Men. Not sure about the Justice League, since I don't watch that. Teen Titans are out in California, if I read the tv show correctly. Did I miss anything?

19. Ascania

Ascania Second Year

Wasn't Metropolis supposed to model Chicago, not NYC?

20. thapagan

thapagan High Inquisitor

In the superman comics "world",The concept of Metropolis as Chicago is "new" (circa late seventies/ John Byrne relaunch of superman) and has never been a firm concept. I think the most current maps of Metropolis (from the comics) represent Metropolis as a New York ish city, ex. five counties, placement of the
    water bodies (hudson river, East River etc.)

I cannot really comment on the superman cartoon series, and I believe the Smallville TV series leans to the Metropolis as Chicago model.