1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

There is nothing to fear by Callmesalticidae - M

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by tywyll fiach, Dec 20, 2018.

1. tywyll fiach

tywyll fiach First Year DLP Supporter

Title: There is nothing to fear
    Author: Callmesalticidae
    Rating: M
    Genre: Slice of life
    Library Category: Alternates
    Pairings: N/A
    Summary: Tom Riddle was sorted into Gryffindor. There is nothing to fear
    Links:
    https://archiveofourown.org/series/1087368 (AO3)

https://forums.spacebattles.com/thr...-potter-au-gryffindor-voldemort.667057/reader
    (Spacebattles reader mode)

This is actually a series of one shots spanning from its earliest in Tom's third year to the Marauder generation,and the war. Highlights include equal rights activist Tom Riddle,an apprenticeship to Flitwick and death eaters James and Sirius. Unfortunately because it's only a bunch of one shots, it is pretty short, but it was interesting and somewhat amusing to see. Also, the recommended order is not chronological.

Have at it.

2. Lungs

Lungs KT Loser ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    This was wholly enjoyable.

3. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter

You act like you've never reviewed anything on DLP before. Has WoW rotted what's left of your brain. Since OP couldn't tell us why we should read it, maybe you could elaborate a bit?

4. Lungs

Lungs KT Loser ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    It’s written competently, even though I think the author stumbles over trying to write it competently, if that makes sense. This comes out pretty bad in the duels, where when they try to fit a bunch of spells in the dialogue and sentence structure break apart.

That’s probably my only complaint. The speculative fantasy of Tom Riddle in Gryffindor’s never occurred to me before and it’s a pretty tantalizing rabbit hole to fall through and the backdrop of Flitwick’s arrest at the start hanging over his mentorship to Riddle really really sets the tone in a way that I hadn’t expected. There’s something incredibly dramatic about every moment in the story because of prior expectations but we never really see Tom doing anything horrendous - even though that expectation doesn’t go away.

And the approach to magic was quite charming as were the little references to this and that thrown in.

Braino rotterino reverso!

5. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

@tywyll fiach & @Lungs - rate the thread? You both reviewed but neither rated the thread. I'll try to look at it later as well.

6. Halt

Halt 1/3 of the Note Bros. Moderator

While the premise, plot, and progression of events are interesting, the execution is sorely lacking. I didn't care for a lot of the one shots here and found myself skimming more often than reading the story.

Nowhere is this more apparent than when any action is involved. The need to name every spell and have it be a tennis match (with shiny lights) leaves nothing redeemable about those scenes. There's no sense of wonder in those, not even a rule of cool to salvage it. It's just a mishmash of blandness and boredom.

3/5.

7. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter

This one does magic entirely wrong. Like ched said, they name every spell when we've been shown in the books in the movies, the words don't mean everything. Magic can happen even without a spell name. It takes away the coolness of the HP magic system and shoe horns it into a button mashing system where A does X and B reacts to Y.

Its boring.

I didn't like this at all. 2/5.