1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete They Shook Hands by Dethryl - PG

Discussion in 'The Alternates' started by Brooklynight, Jul 14, 2006.

1. brannon1986

brannon1986 Guest

I have read the two stories that have come out yet and I think the story is amazingly well done. harry is a normal (bad pun intended) person who is actually doing things by his own accord, not just for getting revenge or something silly like that. 3 stars at least, perhaps 4 when book 3 comes

2. Dark Lord Rostam

Dark Lord Rostam Button La Famiglia Midknight

In that thing you call a closet. Better watch out,
    I got an e-mail from the author, he is working hard on the next story. He is going to post them all at once, so he doesn't bug any readers with cliffies.

3. Dark Lord Rostam

I know I'm double posting, but it's been a while, and I can't edit my post.

To anyone who is still interested in this story, the author is going to submit Year three tomorrow.

4. Muttering Condolences

Muttering Condolences Card Captored and buttsecksed

Awesome. Despite having nice!Snape and Draco, this fic is actually pretty good. Dethryl is one of few authors that can do a good!Snape/Draco without it being cliched or slash.

Despite the promise it shows there are some faults. The story follows canon a little to closely, and Ginny is going to probably turn out to be Harry's close friend, but at least Hermione is dead.

5. ulkser

ulkser Groundskeeper

i don't understand why this fic is in trash bin while the posts here don't say anything bad about but in contrast telling good things. Although some declared they didn't like it due to harry being friends with Malfoy, nothing bad written about the writing style and such.

6. Dark Lord Rostam

It has three stars. If it had 4, it wouldn't be in here.

7. TheIllusiveOne

TheIllusiveOne Raptured to Hell

That has nothing to do with it. There are stories with three stars in the library, just like there are stories with four stars in the trash bin, basically which ever mod is online at the time the story is posted decides where it goes.

8. ulkser

ulkser Groundskeeper

i don't want to believe this!!! then why do we rate the fics???

9. TheIllusiveOne

TheIllusiveOne Raptured to Hell

I was just joking... well kinda, "officially" DLR's explaination is correct, but basically what I just said happens anyway. Last time I checked, I counted 9 fics with four stars and one fic with five stars in the Trash Bin, and there are also quite a few fics in the Library with only three stars.

10. rj_stone2

rj_stone2 Seventh Year

This really is a great fic... I posted my review before the star system was in place, I'd give it 5/5 if I could.

11. Dark Lord Rostam

You still can give it a 5. You see the stars near the top of the page, click the down arrow button, and choose how many stars it is worth.

12. Brooklynight

Brooklynight Seventh Year

Year three finally came out, so far its only on the author's yahoo group link,
    link2

Last edited: Jan 7, 2007
  13. Muttering Condolences

Muttering Condolences Card Captored and buttsecksed

Fucking eh. That is exactly how I've always pictured Harry dealing with Vernon and Aunt Marge. None of the "I'll take it silently' crap, just a can of good old-fashioned whoop-ass.

14. Lord Osiris

Lord Osiris Auror

Well i must say that this is a little gem, still i find it kind of difficult to understand how alot of the time all he is thinking about and doing is playing on his fucking broom. he was in the restricted section in his first year as a Gryf but now he hasn't been in there at all! ok so anyway, written well, enjoyable and comprehensible with some mildly excellent character construction. 3/5 from me.

15. Giovanni

Giovanni God of Scotch

I give it 2.5/5 because while the writing is well above average, I simply cannot stand the characters. A good/great work of fanfiction (or fiction) will always have characters that you cannot stand, however when these characters are the protagonists, then they must have some redeeming quality that makes you want to hate them, but be unable to do so (for a real life example most of the characters in All the Kings Men).

In this fanfic, everyone comes across as ridiculously racist, but it's not balanced out -- in my not so humble opinion -- by the explanation given. That's a great characteristic for an antagonist, but for the protagonist and his entire posse?

Overall it reads like "Observe the lives of rich spoiled young bigots who have nothing better to do with their time then remind those uppity nig**rs... err I mean Mudbloods about what their place is."

I like my anti-hero's, but generally speaking they must have at least some redeeming quality. The ones in this arc have thus far displayed none.

-Giovanni

16. Krull

Krull Denarii Host

I can not stress how reserved I am about reading this fic, even if it has 4 stars on it.

Seeing Harry be friends with Draco at any time in their life but especially in their 1st year irks me off to no end.

They are just to different to ever become friends, deal with it.

P.s. I'll edit after (if) I read it

17. Dark Lord Rostam

New chapter is out. Nothing huge happens in it. He arrives a Malfoy Manor, see's Sirius the dog, and basically slowly advances the plot. Very slowly.

Lol, at Mr. Weasley's job.

Chapter: 3.5/5

18. Brooklynight

Brooklynight Seventh Year

Its certainly original.

I'm waiting to see how the author handles the conflict between Harry's current associates and Sirius before saying anything about the latest installment in the series. Its still holding my interest.

19. SushiZ

SushiZ Auror

I use to like this story but as time went by, I felt as if it was going down hill. I will give it a 2.5/5

20. afrojack

afrojack Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

These kind of stories are brimming with potential, but he did it wrong just like most others do. He tweaks too many little things. Hagrid didn't get drunk, and I highly doubt that a choir would convince the hat to put Hermione in Hufflepuff. Nor do I doubt that Malfoy's dad would curse Harry's books and what not. Not only that, but when a fic has the little firstie Slytherins bantering like educated college-grads, I usually turn the other way.