1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Thoughts on HPMOR?

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by RottedKarma, May 28, 2018.

1. Feanor

Feanor Third Year

As it was mentioned above, most of my hate for it stems from people recommending it around the Internet as the pinnacle of HP fanfiction. I've seen this mostly on reddit. Some random Harry Potter TIL post? There it is in the comments, "oh man you should read HPMoR it's so good/rational/right/fixes the canon". Fuck you. There's literally millions of HP fanfics and this is the best one? Fuck you.
    I have a feeling (substantiated by nothing) that a lot of people who are really into it are the kind of people who post in /r/atheism and other rationality/atheism obsessed parts of the Internet.

As for the story itself, I tried to get into it a few times over the years, mostly when I wanted to read new fanfics and there was a dearth of new material, but was never able to get past the first few chapters. It just wasn't interesting to me in any way.

The first fanfic I remember reading was on mugglenet's forums. I really, really enjoyed it at the time, and I have fond memories of reading it, but I'm not going to pretend it's not shit now, because it is, and it was then too. I just didn't know better at the time, and hey, it got me into fanfiction.