1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete To Fight the Coming Darkness by jbern - T

Discussion in 'General Fics' started by cmuylistoooo, Dec 22, 2005.

1. jbern

jbern Alba Mater

Chapter 39 is posted

For your reading enjoyment, chapter 39 and the battle of Hogsmeade. I hope you enjoy it.~Jim

2. Vengashii

Vengashii Banned

Man Jbern, I dont know what happened, but it doesnt seem like TFCD is TFCD anymore. The last several chapters have been so.. deviant from the earlier and middle portions. Maybe its the slow update time, or something else, but its like I'm reading a completely different story lately. =/

3. Philly Homer

Philly Homer What you call elephant cum I call mouthwash

I waited quite a while for this chapter, but after I read it I must say the wait was well worth it. War is indeed a beautiful thing. The battle of Hogsmeade was very good. I liked your Fawkes, I haven't seen that done ever before, but I loved it. It makes sense that Fawkes would get angry enough after Dumbledore's death to take such a drastic step. I liked Dumbledore's end, he didn't go down in a blaze of glory like I envisioned, but this end was quite fitting. In Dumbledore's and Voldemort's long chess match it's fitting that Dumbledore was killed due to him being finally outsmarted in the end.I found the scheme of Voldemort using the time-turner intriguing, but it's eventual result for Voldemort was very amusing. Narcissa at the end was as always good, she is the ultimate Slytherin through and through.

A 5/5 for this chapter, and I eagerly await the conclusion To Fight The Coming Darkness.

Homer

4. Lincos

Lincos Professor DLP Supporter

New chapter is awesome. Loved the battle!

though I do have to agree with that statement.

5. Andro

Andro Master of Death DLP Supporter

I think I agree. The lush originality at the beginning chapters became more absent. It's still far beyond the average story, but there's fewer enthralling passages such as with Voldemort's history.

Edit: One last thing, Dumbledore's death just seemed too anti-climatic. :/ It was still a sweet action sequence, but he just died, with his last thought behind how foolish he was. Maybe if you included some brief introspection, his mourning of how he will no longer have any chance to observe Harry would yield better results? As it is, it's a bit lacking in intensity, not like HBP, when I knew that Dumbledore wasn't coming back. Here, I kept thinking that he would come back.

Unless he actually is going to come back. :p

Last edited: Sep 30, 2007
  6. Ragon

Ragon Dark Lord

Dumbledore cant die like that man. Killed by Peter? You must be joking. Hes gonna come back if he can survive to be 150+ he can survive this.

On a side note dont bring him back. We wanna see Harry vs Tom not Harry vs Tom and then the winner fight the old man.

7. skooly

skooly First Year

I waited until now to read the last two chapters and I must say I was impressed with the battle. I still haven’t forgiven you for making your own character’s lives a living hell but I said I was going to finish the fic and I am. I really enjoyed the fight scene with Harry’s mother and Tonks; I don’t think I have ever seen her abilities use in such a way. Just don’t screw up the last chapter (or two?).

8. Alexeyy

Alexeyy Seventh Year DLP Supporter

Andromalius, what whould your last thoughts be? About the next curse you could use to take one more bastard with you, or about how everyone would grieve about you when you're gone?

Myself, I liked it when he had had no time to let his thought wander. This action sequence just felt more real, when compared, say, to the last action scene in Turn Me Loose, quoting:

I'm not sure about it now, but I bitched about the last bit when the chapter came out, because I felt he was idly observing, and not fighting the curse. Like, "hey! Is that you screaming like a girl?" Here, with Dumbledore's last stand I've got what I wanted, and I can say I liked it.

9. Well, With your way of writing! I doubt that there will be a magical person! once all of these finished!

Am I wrong?;;)

10. Darius

Darius 13/m/box

The Octagon - Say that to my face and not online m
    I'm re-reading this now. Only on chapter 6 but one thing I've constantly noticed is your apparent hate for conjunctions. It throws me off every time and really throws the flow of the story off as well...

11. Erotic Adventures of S

Erotic Adventures of S Denarii Host

Try reading the one on Fanficauthors it has been sweeped of most errors I think.

12. jbern

jbern Alba Mater

It was a mistake on my part. Way way back in this thread Master Slytherin and I had a discussion about the stilted language in the early chapters.

I was trying to make the pureblooded children stand out more by "speaking properly at all times" kind of thing. After the comments by Master S, it was apparent that it wasn't working.

After I finish chapter 40. I'm going back to do some housekeeping and fix many of the errors that TEAOS has mentioned and other such gaffs like early on when I said Sirius was Bella's brother vice cousin.

Jim

I'm starting on the conclusion next week. Finishing TML 3 this weekend.

13. Gasperk

Gasperk First Year

Wow....

I've been reading this story over the past five days or so, and I have to say that is some good plot work.

I will agree with the others above, that it seems that the last 7 or so chapters are a little different. Almost like a quick buildup of some sort. It wasn't rushed, but it was a lot faster then what I'd thought it would be.

It's a war story though, and I think that's what I like about it. Sure, we see plenty of Riddle's plots unfold, but it seems this time, we have Harry doin' some seriously needed wetwork.

I do have a question about Neville. I applaud the way his character went, but at the same time, am surprised about with how quickly his descent into revenge took him. Was he perhaps affected even more by Coedus then what you wrote? Or is it just me?

Can't wait to see Chapter 40 and the Epilogue. Thanks for a good story!

14. Ragon

Ragon Dark Lord

So the next chapter we get to see Harry vs Tom round 2. This time Harry aint doing it by having seen Tom doing it hes doing what he has been learning from Flitwick. Winner take all.

15. jbern

jbern Alba Mater

I'm about 8000 words into it. Just getting the big battle started. Slow going, but I want a worthy finish. Depending on if it's running too long is whether I split it into chapter 40 and 41+Epilogue.

Jim

16. Alec

Alec Raptured to Hell

Just one question, is there gonna be a sequel?Because honestly this is one of the top 5 best stories on fanfiction.net. I would hate to see it just end after one story =(

17. gadriam

gadriam Second Year

Alec, most stories do. That's why there are other stories.

Some authors go the Police Academy way, just keep piling up the absurdities in order to keep their Hero online and active. Quality has an end. I just bloody hope i can remember that at the end of my own story. :)

I hope that there's no sequel, and i can't imagine he would write one. He's got two more fics to spend time on, and the more time he can spend on TML, the happier i will be.

I'm looking forward to the end. He's built some spectacular devices in this story that hasn't been used properly yet, and I can't wait to see them burn.

g

18. jbern

jbern Alba Mater

No. I don't plan on doing a sequel. The story arc doesn't really support much more.

If I'm bored one day, I might write a 19 years later epilogue.

It looks like chapter 40 is going to be split into two. Chapter 40 is about 7500 words and chapter 41 will feature the final battle be merged with the epilogue and will be about 7500 words as well. As soon as I get the edits back, I'll do some more rework and get it posted.

Jim

19. eXcalite

eXcalite Seventh Year

New chapter is up and I hate jbern for giving us another cliffhanger...

20. Naga's Shadow

Naga's Shadow Seventh Year

Just finished chapter 40 and the tension is building. My only question is whether or not Harry has anything planned. If not it looks like it's going to be a short fight.