1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete To Fight the Coming Darkness by jbern - T

Discussion in 'General Fics' started by cmuylistoooo, Dec 22, 2005.

1. bornagainpenguin

bornagainpenguin DLP Archivist

I think you mean Moorish? Which usually translates to Muslim.. so the guy's probably a terrorist working for Voldemort like you see in so many (bad) fics, because it has nothing to do with his color..no really!

Is Flitwick even a human? I thought he might be an half-breed... dwarf perhaps? Maybe part leprechaun? ;P EDIT - did some research, wiki says he's part goblin.

McGongall? Well she's just a pussycat... ;P

--bornagainpenguin (tongue firmly in cheek)

2. LT2000

LT2000 Heir

Lucius Malfoy seems pretty sane, even though he is a Death Eater. Mrs. Weasley is normal enough also. Being an overprotective mother hen doesn't really fall under insanity. Barty Crouch Senior wasn't off his rocker, at least not until he got tossed under the Imperius. As for Shacklebolt, I doubt he's over forty. Probably well into his thirties, though.

3. Quack

Quack Second Year

Come now guys, Andromeda is perfectly sane, and she's over 40, their wizards... the name Nymphdora must be as common as Linda for muggles. There's nothing wrong with Dumbledore, he's just an old man with a sweet tooth, at least he isn't the creepy old dude in Family Guy that has a thing for little boys. Moody's just extra careful, he was probably bullied when he was younger and grew a habit of looking over his shoulder. Voldemort is probably a psychopath and ambitious, bad combination. Arthur's obsession with muggle things are perfectly fine, he has a hobby, that's normal enough.

Bellatrix? Well, she's just a insane bitch we all love. Don't ever change Belle, don't ever change.

I left a review on FF.Net

4. Myst

Myst Headmaster

Insanity? I personally think that everyone in the world is insane in someway, Muggle or Wizard.

Btw quite a good chapter there, and for once a Voldamort who actually has character depth.

5. SlytherinDamian

SlytherinDamian Raptured to Hell

I should just learn to trust you, but I'm pretty well conditioned through experience with ff to expect a plot, no matter how promising, to go south eventually. My doubts aren't personal. Just thought I'd mention that.

6. jbern

jbern Alba Mater

But then again, we don't know what creepy skeletons are in their mental closets either. Most of the characters even Lucius aren't flushed out enough to really get into their heads. Despite being in all the books, how much do we really know about Minerva? She's a cat. She has been head of Gryffindor since Dumbles became headmaster. She wants her students to respect her and presents a stern face (clear Daddy issues there!). Oh well you get my drift.

I always see those storys where Snape goes mental when Harry is made a teacher. I wouldn't mind seeing a one shot of Minerva going off to Dumbledore when Snape is first named a teacher.

Quack thanks for the review. Dumbles did what he thought was right by helping Lily perform that ritual. It was what they decided on (well at least what Lily and he decided) and it was for the best. The joke about Nymphadora being like Linda got a good laugh. Never understood that, she breaks away from the family, but still upholds their bizarre naming structure. Borrowing from Quack, another humorous one shot would be for Tonks to meet another (several in fact) Nymphadora who actually likes her name. I will even give it a title if anyone wants to write it Nymphadora's Anonyomous.

Thanks for the compliment Myst.

SlytherinD - Well I don't know what to say. If you send me some of your stuff, I will happily beta it. At least idea wise, my grammar and punctuation are okay, but not great. Honestly, I started my story after sharing similar disappointments with other peoples work. That being said, I do intend to write the story my way. Hopefully, you will like my way.

The point I wanted to make about the insanity thing was that nobody named a major character. I am sure Sinestra and Vector are probably sane, but you get my drift.[/code]

7. jbern

jbern Alba Mater

Oh yeah one other thing, Thanks again Quack. You were my 200th review. I was looking forward to my 100th, but it was some flaming turd! Chapter 8 has received 3800+ hits. The number of reviews has increased from 1 in 100 to just about 2 in 100. Chapter 9 is doing well with about 1400 hits and 28 reviews thanks in a good deal to you guys. I don't really count total hits. What is important to me is how many hits your recent chapters get.

By the way, where else do you think I should post this story? My first work kept getting rejected for what I considered stupid reasons from Mugglenet so I probably won't go back there.

Thanks
    Jim

8. sirius009

sirius009 Minister of Magic

Wow a little rascist but theres nothing insane about being part dwarf/short, being black, or being a pussy..

9. bornagainpenguin

Oh geeze.. do I need to spell out to you what 'tongue in cheek' means? [sighs] I guess so...

On Kingsley I was refering to the fact that so many fics make him out to be a traitor to the Order--maybe they've put some clues together in the text and have seen some signs I didn't but like others have said I echo the sentiment that there's something telling in the fact its the black man that always seems to be the traitor. Then I added that AFAIK black people in England are called Moors.

With Flitwick I was making the point that we don't know how his status as a half-blood Wizard\Goblin has on him. We do know that he was considered to be a champion duelist of some repute in his youth... a far cry from the kindly intelligent man we meet in the books. Why would a charms teacher feel the need to be able to fight? Perhaps he felt a need to protect himself in his youth? Mayhap he had to deal with pure-blood idiots in his school years and thus learned all he did out of self-prorection? HMMMM....

Minverva McGongall is a pussy cat. <---my lame attempt at a bad pun.

Do you get it now? Or am I typing too quickly? ;P

--bornagainpenguin

PS The last sentence above was a joke, as made clear to most by the winking smiley.

PPS: And again with Flitwick, I wouldn't be surprised if he turned out to be one of the most dangerous men in Hogwarts. As Heinlein once wrote: Never startle a little man; He'll kill you.

10. Rain

Rain Pirate Navigator of the 7 Seas

I'm warming up to "Ficwad.com" at the moment. I like the design, but it isn't that populated (which can be either a good thing or a bad thing.) I think many of the authors who had stories deleted from FF.net's last purge moved there.

11. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

I also have a backup on FicWad.

I don't like their story format (no paragraphs) and a few other things, so I'll probably move to PatronusCharm or Florish&Blotts, whichever opens first.

12. Rain

Rain Pirate Navigator of the 7 Seas

They had paragraphs when I last used it... which was about a week or so ago. You have to type in the html for italics/bold/underline, but other than that it formats just fine.

13. jbern

jbern Alba Mater

Thanks for the heads up about ficwad. I will take a look at it when I get done cleaning house. For some reason my wife doesn't think writing and reading fanfiction trumps cleaning up the house. (Blame her if chapter 10 is slow! Not writers block.) So far I have the first 1000 words done, but I also seem to have a lot of "honey dos" to catch up on. So my weekend is pretty shot.

I am surprised that one of the things most of the reviewers comment on is that Penny needs more explanation. Interesting given that we know very little of her. From cannon all we know is that she was a Ravenclaw Prefect who dated Percy Weasley. She was petrified in book 2. It can be inferred that she was muggleborn or at most a mixed blood. (I believe that no one made a stink that the heir was attacking Purebloods.) Beyond that she is an open book. Maybe it was the shock that I chose to do that, which caused people to ask for an explanation. When I thought of it I was "well wouldn't it be interesting if..." That is how alot of my ideas get started. Anyway back to her, as I mentioned previously I will be working with another author to do a one shot behind her background. It may very well be done from Dolohov's pov.

On a side note one of my early reviews worried about "character explosion". Voldy likes the idea of characters exploding. He will get right on that!

14. bornagainpenguin

I've just finished reading up to your current chapter tonight..I have all kinds of fics in the que so sometimes it takes me a while to catch up! :) I gotta congratulate you on your excelent attempts to turn fannon on its head, knowing that you're purposely doing the opposite of what is expected has made my reading experience very enjoyable!

--bornagainpenguin

15. sirius009

sirius009 Minister of Magic

I have to agree, going against the grain is great and refreshing, i'm interested to see how harry shifts his life after finding out the truth about his mother..

16. jbern

jbern Alba Mater

People seem to be enjoying the departure from the norm. I like challenging peoples perceptions of what people expect. Harry won't necessarily shift his life because of his new perspective on his parents. He will accept that they are not the saints people like Dumbledore and the Order make them out to be. Nor are they what Snape would make them out to be.

He will be much to busy to reflect upon this for awhile though.

17. Treck

Treck First Year

how goes the Honey Do's?

Treck

18. jbern

jbern Alba Mater

Just sent chapter 10 to the beta reader and commentators. It will be up either tonight or tomorrow. I think you will be pleased with the result.

Jim

19. jbern

jbern Alba Mater

Chapter 10 is up

Chapter 10 is up for your reading pleasure. I will post my author's notes here in a bit. (Probably tomorrow).

Enjoy,
    Jim

20. Treck

Treck First Year

Another fine chapter. To short though. But, then again. If it was a 100K word chapter I'd think it was too short. :p

Treck