1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Tom Riddle and Dumbledore

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Dresden11, Jun 28, 2020.

1. Dresden11

Dresden11 Fifth Year

So I was thinking on Tom's relationship with Dumbledore especially during the first few years of Hogwarts. We know that Dumbledore refuses to allow Tom to stay at Hogwarts. Does anyone think this was an awful idea? Tom goes to Hogwarts during the build up and outbreak of World War II. He lived in an orphanage during the rationing of food. His summers there must have been pretty hellish. I don't think he would have been in the orphanage during the Blitz, but he would have still seen bombed out buildings and other signs of the war during the summer break.

I guess my main question is does Dumbledore allow any other muggleborn/student to stay at Hogwarts during this time if they requested it, or was it just because it was Tom Riddle asking?

2. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter

I would say he doesn't allow anyone. Seems too much like a bad plot device for shitty fanfic where Dumbledore is made to be the bad guy.

3. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Dumbledore is not the headmaster during Tom's time at Hogwarts; it is Dippet who does not permit Tom to stay over the summer. The idea that it was Dumbledore is a fanon creation.

As far as we know, this was the first time Tom requested to stay at Hogwarts during the summer. Dippet goes on to state that he might have let Tom stay, if not for the attacks. So Tom rather made his own bed on that front. It's also possible that once he "caught" Hagrid, he was permitted to stay at Hogwarts - we don't know how it ends.

In any event:

1. The blitz would have occurred during the Hogwarts school year;

2. The orphanage would likely have been evacuated to the countryside;

3. I doubt bombs would pose a threat to a wizard.

4. Dresden11

Dresden11 Fifth Year

Looks like I was wrong about the Dumbledore part then. Thanks @Taure for the info.

5. aAlouda

aAlouda High Inquisitor

Even if it had been Dumbledore, it would have been irresponsible to let Tom stay at Hogwarts when there is someone attacking muggle-born in the castle and Tom Riddle has no known wizarding heritage.

6. Mordecai

Mordecai Drunken Scotsman –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I do think it is one of the weirder things about the wizarding world that they don't have some system of foster care for muggleborn orphans. Shipping them back into the muggle world every summer to go to orphanages as was, or in modern times group homes etc - it seems like a much greater security risk than muggleborns going back to their families. Given the very low numbers we'd be talking about, I'd have thought there might be 1 or 2 wizarding families who made themselves available for fostering a child in that situation at any given time, and that most of the time it wouldn't be needed. Maybe 1 family for each Hogwarts House?

Imagine how Tom Riddle's life might have gone differently if this had been in place? I know he'd still have had the shit childhood, but his teenage years he might have had someone to be a bit of a mentor, someone he could look up to and respect perhaps. Maybe they could have helped him channel his ambition and...tendencies in a constructive direction. Alternatively, maybe they'd have been one of his first victims at age 17. Killing them as soon as he could live on his own. Maybe nothing would have changed at all.

7. aAlouda

aAlouda High Inquisitor

I think it makes sense, there a very few muggleborn, from the portion of Harry's year we know there are only two out of forty.

Meaning overall there would be maybe 6 muggleborns a year and of those only a tiny minority would be orphans(about 2% of children in the UK).

It would be kinda weird for there to be a standard response to muggleborn orphans when there is maybe one in 10 years.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2020
  8. Mordecai

Mordecai Drunken Scotsman –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I can see that, but from another perspective because there's so few of them it would be really easy to set up. And looking at it purely from a security perspective, you can rely on parents to make sure a young kid keeps something like magic secret, or to explain it away if they let it slip. But who does that for an orphan? Do they bring all the staff of a group home in on the secret? Unlikely...

I'm not saying the Ministry should do it for humanitarian reasons, just for simple security reasons.