1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete Turn Me Loose: A Harry Potter Adventure by JBern - M

Discussion in 'General Fics' started by jbern, Sep 1, 2007.

1. Antivash

Antivash Until we meet again... DLP Supporter Retired Staff

I'm inclined to agree with him, actually. There is nothing fascinating about either bungle or this. Me Again was the only 2nd person story I enjoyed and it lost its appeal quickly.

This ... has yet to make any sort of outstanding ground that sets itself apart from any other story. Neither did bungle, really.

But then, LIKING it because its popular is fine, amirite?! GO ALPHA FIGHT KRUB!

2. ChuckDaTruck

ChuckDaTruck Overlord

Quoted for Inability to understand written concepts:

"Is the sort of dipshit who despises things that are popular and liked BECAUSE they are popular and liked, and without any other reason, well thought or otherwise."

Quoted because apparently everything has to be repeated twice. Did I mention liking it? How many shitty stories go under your radar? I don't see you bashing bobmin, jeconais, or a million other fics that are "popular." You are bashing this fic merely because its popular, indie Harry, Jbern's active on DLP, and YOU DON'T GET IT.

Heaven forbid a fic is posted that doesn't float your boat! It clearly MUST be shit? Why? BECAUSE IT IS!! ISN'T IT OBVIOUS!?

Folks, why else would Vash NOT like it, unless it sucked!? Everyone knows that Vash's tastes and opinions are the most mainstream, normal, and reflective of the general public of ANYONE EVER?!

What you don't like Harry/Lily fucking? WEIRDO!

And lord knows the internet has room for only SO MANY fics. If too many fics are posted that are well liked that Vash doesn't agree with it shall bring about the apocalypse! Do you want that?!

So, naturally Vash's opinion is the only right one here, because if you can't trust a man who gets off on teenagers fucking their mom, who can you trust?

EDIT: Love the "Alpha Fight Krub" arguement by the way. That folks is how you decimate someone's arguement: by misspelling words and mocking things that you don't have access to and thus CAN NOT have knowledge of. Way to go, Vash? You a lawyer, buddy? Cause you should be. If I'm ever on trial I know who I want on my side, right counselor?

Chuck ;)

Last edited: Sep 3, 2007
  3. Nuhuh

Nuhuh Dastardly Shadow Admin Retired Staff

I declare myself the DLP soothsayer. I smelled the winds of jbern vs bio and got Chuck vs Vash. In true seer tradition I fail more than I was confident of and succeeded more than I was expected to.

So sayeth the green books of gideon.

4. Darius

Darius 13/m/box

The Octagon - Say that to my face and not online m
    ^^This. Oh no, now Chuck will round on me for having a legitimate point that he doesn't like.

5. Eidolonic

Eidolonic Supreme Mugwump

Can people stfu with flame wars? This fic is fairly original, and while it isn't the best quality of writing I've seen, the author is actively trying to improve. I believe there already was a thread for this, if you gents want to partake in this (highly amusing) battle of 'wits'.

6. Antivash

Lets start off with Bob and Jec.

Have they had anything posted recently? And I do recall mentioning elsewhere that Jec wrote several fics I found quite enjoyable.

Bobmin was argued to death in the last story thread he had posted. It seems pointless a year (generalization) after his last update or whatever. Jbern, however, has a fic of failure right here, freshly posted!

Imagine that. Hmm... year old necro for something unrelated to the comment the thread, or post in the appropriate, new thread. Logic dictates... NECROZ!!11one.

Now... for the WITHOUT ANY OTHER REASON!

The rest doesnt even justify response. everyone knows im an egotistical ass with a fetish for H/L stories.

Edit: Opps forgot to remove name. oh well.

7. ChuckDaTruck

ChuckDaTruck Overlord

I had a few drinks (5) at a Labor Day weekend BBQ. I got too hostile and personal too fast. For THAT, I apologize

Vash, I shouldn't have attacked your niche. You have readers who like H/L. Good for you. I don't read it, but far be it for me to blast those who do. Keep on keepin' on. This part is directed at Darius too. Just because I don't like something does NOT make it bad.

That said, it felt unneccessarily hostile, and without justification. Dr.SoulEater listed legitmate points. I don't agree with them, but they ARE points.

When I said Bobmin, Jeconais, etc, I meant any popular author you don't like. Replace this with Severitus, Nonjon, Shezza88, Big D, Tinn Tamm, or anyone else who's somewhat popular but isn't up your alley.

That's it from me folks. I'm drunk and tired. I don't intend to post in this thread again as I'm a beta on it (or whatever the Hell I am.)

Anyone got legitimate beef with me, PM me.

8. Antivash

I'd hardly call it my niche. I havent written anything vaguely H/L in months. And stop being a pussy. you meant what you said. Just because you got bitchslapped, now you "had to many to drink." and if 5 is all it takes, you are a bigger bitch the even my friends 90lb ex-canadian wife.

What isnt to agree with? they are all valid and without exaggeration.

yeah... and keep your ass outta my alley. Shezza and Tinn I get along smashingly with, great people, dem guyz. Nonnie is cool, except his mocking of my ESPN draft. You suck for that. Those are great picks. I bet I win!

But ive trolled Jec and Bob before, and Jbern, and Jon, when a story is shit, it doesnt matter who the author is, it is shit. For the reasons listed above.

9. Manatheron

Manatheron Headmaster

It would seem you are in the minority with this particular opinion considering it's current rating.

I would like to point out however that disliking a fic isn't exactly a unique trait. The fact that you seem to have some deep seated need to be as insulting as possible while making that opinion known is just sophomoric however.

You don't like the story, you don't particularly care for the author, we get it. You can stop now.

10. BioPlague

BioPlague The Senate DLP Supporter

There was this one time I was making out with a girl and she licked me on my face and I kicked her right through the window.

[​IMG]

11. Manatheron

Manatheron Headmaster

{Blinks}

WTF?

12. BioPlague

BioPlague The Senate DLP Supporter

I added a picture so you could understand.

13. jbern

jbern Alba Mater

I was wondering how long this would last. Here's my take on things. I'm laid up this weekend with a foot injury (aggravated bunion/bursistis and probably not the return of gout if anyone gives a flying *uck). I can't go out and enjoy the weekend so I'm writing most of chapter 38 of Darkness.

So, I'm online enjoying the reaction to my new fic. People who enjoy my fic seem to have spent part of the weekend reading and having a good time. You don't have to like my fics. No one's forcing you.

Why waste part of your holiday weekend reading a fic you don't like? Go out and have fun. Do something you enjoy. If being a prick is the only thing that gets you through the day, then do that too.

I'll just keep on writing and won't waste too much time argung. I've got almost 200 reviews between ff.net and ffa.net already for this story to respond to.

To all of those who are enjoying my story, thanks. I'll continue to do my best to meet or exceed your expectations. To those who don't, sorry, I don't have the time for an e-peen war. Check back later when I have a bit of time, but I'll be pretty tied up through this month.

Jim

14. Antivash

LOL!

it said its too short :(

15. Ragon

Ragon Dark Lord

Cant we settle this over a pint?
    or
    not.

Why do people have a problem with this fic?

IF you dont like it dont read it. Ignore it. Clearly alot of people like it. If everyone didnt like it then I would say go ahead and flame away.

Clearly I belong in the group that likes both the "Vash" style fics and the "Jbern" style fics.

16. Glernaj

Glernaj Stab Executive DLP Supporter

Ahh, everyone loves a good flame war. It's best to view in just such a case as I'm in, in which neither side appears to have the right of it.

That said, rep to the first person that dickslaps someone else in a post.

17. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

You know, I'd really like to hear exactly what's so bad about Bungle and its sequel. Not "its fans are idiots", not "it's noting special", not anonymous IRC logs, but a nice, brutally honest critique DLP is supposed to be known for.

And please don't say betrayal, cliched manipulative!Dumbledore, love potion and any number of usual complaints. This all happened in the first 2 chapters of a 23 chapter story - and it hardly featured over the rest of it. In Bungle, it was merely a crutch to start the plot going. Even if we say that was all crap, then what about the other 21 chapter, featuring foreign countries, colorful OC's, love affairs, cursebreaking, demon hunting etc... all the good stuff we are always whining to see in fanfiction.

And at the end of your impartial bashing review, please put in which completed Independent!Harry fanfiction do you think is better than "Bungle in The Jungle". I can think of a few potentials, but I'd like to hear your opinions.

18. Ragon

Ragon Dark Lord

I gotta agree with ip82 on this. When Jim first posted Bungle I couldnt stand it. It seemed cliche filled at first after a few chapters I came back and it was great after the first few chapters.

People who say he learned too much in too short a period of time. It depends on how you view Harry. If you(like me) think Harry is smart and powerful and has just wasted his time and was really dragged down by having Hermoine as a crutch and Ron as an excuse, then its not too far of a leap to beleive that he could learn as much as he did with good teachers(Kwan, Thundercloud, Bill). He learned on the fly and out of nesscesity.

19. Nuhuh

Nuhuh Dastardly Shadow Admin Retired Staff

I read this fic for quite a while. I lost track when I was having trouble with some of my own chapters and left fanfiction for a while.

I have something to say for the weak opening or to be honest the word that you used for it 'crutch' is very appropriate. It was very weak, it was painful, the only reason I read ahead was because of the interesting choice of POV.

For me a weak opening like that stays, because it is not simply a case that it is two chapters out of twenty-three. It sets the entire premise of the story. If the premise is flawed you never really get away from it.

I have the same problem with, I believe her name is Meganreviews who has an insanely popular and otherwise well written fic of the NeglectedTwin!Harry type.

Again, she did her premise so terribly that I simply couldn't resolve it, even after getting thirteen or so chapters into her fic. The premise is the foundation, so I don't think you can discount it with an argument based on quantity of opening chapters vs the whole of the fic.

That said, jbern is obviously talented enough to come up with a plot device that does not grate like the one he, and many before and after him used to set this fic up.

The reason I read this fic was for the humor, I think in part that I didn't immediately go back to it was because finally the plot was overtaking the light tone.

I frankly skipped all the parts with Luna in it. The whole 'My apparent insanity is an ultimate prank that I shall reveal at the end of my education' device was an uncreative way of getting out of writing a Luna with her strangeness. Their relationship development was for me filler.

These are the critiques that I remember from when I was reading the fic regularly.

In general what I find about Bungle is that jbern delivers very well in some areas, as long as it is humor and ward/curse magic whereas relationship development, and subplots are lacking. Which always made me want to skip the plot and get to the OC character interaction like Kwan and Harry, etc.

Unfortunately I can't give a complete and in depth critique because I haven't finished the fic yet.

But I wanted to make this post basically to argue that what you write as a premise matters a hell of a lot for the entirety of your fic. Now if the rest of his fic was of the same standard as what he wrote in the beginning I wouldn't care because he would be a crappy writer period, but since he has it in him to bring a new twist to the table I wonder why it wasn't there.

And please don't dismiss my comments by grouping me in either 'jbern fangirls' or 'ircholes' or whatever. Other than the few silly posts I made in this thread I haven't gotten involved in this crap before.

edit: Don't freaking negrep me for liking part of his story and flat out hating part of it either. Argue your point in the thread.

20. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Rahkesh Asmodaeus THUNDAH Bawd Admin DLP Supporter

Wait. Seriously? I just couldn't read Bungle because of the POV, but this shit actually happens if you go further in? And people like this why? So basically, Jbern just took Luna's whole quirky demeanor and threw it the fuck away, then came up with a entirely new personality? That's called a fucking original character, not Luna. People like the Harry/Luna pairing just because of how unique Luna is. And, if the author is good, they can pull off Luna, which makes the story incredibly awesome.

How can anyone call themselves a Harry/Luna fan and then like this story? It just goes against anything and everything Luna.

... of course I'm just basing this off that one paragraph of Nuhuh's, so if I'm wrong about Jbern completely throwing away Luna's personality, please, correct me.