1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete Turn Me Loose: A Harry Potter Adventure by JBern - M

Discussion in 'General Fics' started by jbern, Sep 1, 2007.

1. jbern

jbern Alba Mater

I was thinking a little bit of Daemon (via one of his Dementors), mixed with golem, and infused with blood magic to go after Harry. It was similar to what I was trying to do with the bodies of James and Lily in To Fight the Coming Darkness.

To answer the other question, TML has roughly three, maybe four chapters left. Expect a lot of fighting to occur.

Getting my book in NZ? I know Dead Eye has shown up on an Aussie site or two and it's part of the Ingrams catalog, but your library might not deal with that distributor. See if you can go to a bookstore and order it by ISBN. That might work. If all else fails, you can always pick up the e-book.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2010
  2. Ragon

Ragon Dark Lord

The idea of Snape and a Potter working together should be enough to scare Voldemort to death. Snape and Harry lied right to the Order and did so convincingly enough that they bought it. Quick question though. Is this Snape comparable to FtCD Snape in terms of skill and power?

3. MattSilver

MattSilver The Traveller

Good chapter, as per usual. Good ol' fashioned Mossberg V Inferi action, and with Voldemort coming-a-visiting, I predict deaths of the main character kind. Here's hoping!

Oh, so I don't sound glowingly positive, I noticed a few minor spelling/grammar errors and all that jazz, "waste" instead of "waist" being the most egregious example I discovered. But still - good chapter.

4. jbern

jbern Alba Mater

To answer the Snape question - he'd probably lose in a straight up fight with either Harry or Voldemort, but when has Snape ever done anything straight up? He's probably not quite as powerful as the one in TFtCD, but I don't really know that I've portrayed Harry as powerful as he was in TFtCD.

I'll go through the chapter again and clean up errors that were mentioned. Thanks for pointing it out.

5. Dethklok

Dethklok Order Member

The power of Christ compels him not to tell you.
    But what you said brings up the nature of skill vs. power or skill/power in your fics, jbern. In TFtCD, the only time Harry fought Voldemort straight up, balls-out, was at the end and at that point, Harry used strategy to thin out the field of Death Eaters. He finally killed Voldemort with a Tonare. A Blasting spell.

The time when he possessed Pettigrew and infiltrated Riddle Manor was handcapped to me because both Peter and Tom had life debts to one another and weren't fighting full out, and Harry probably couldn't have used Peter for intensive power spells anyway since Peter was a weak wizard magically.

I mean in many fics, Dumbledore and Voldemort have been described as archmages or sorcerers heads and shoulders above ordinary witches and wizards due to their exotic knowledge and how they control magical force to devastating and amazing effect.

Harry really can't stand up in terms of experience against these two, but in terms of power, he's up there. He's much higher in power than in skill, but greater skill would help Harry not waste so much power and use it better.

In the upcoming fights in TML, Voldemort wants to kill Harry bad. But Harry wants to survive. The will to survive against the desire to utterly kill would be a good dichotomy to explore a little in terms of who finally comes out on top, jbern.

That interplay might bring the whole game back to chance, and luck, which does have a part to play in any conflict. Voldemort wants to win badly, but he's also a sadist and barking mad, so Harry might be able to pull a Hail Mary and beat the odds since he wants to live and make the other guy dead for good, while Voldemort would want to make Harry suffer, then die.

Thoughts, jbern?

6. Ragon

Ragon Dark Lord

This is the arguement that I have always liked. How does Harry defeat someone with so much more experience. I always think of Reign of Power as that was pretty much the final battle. In terms of sheer power Harry was superior to both but in knowledge and experience he simply couldnt keep up. Strategy and the will to survive is really the only way Harry can win against Voldemort.

On the this Harry being weaker part,I always thought of this Harry as being stronger and better trained than TFtCD Harry.

7. Warlocke

Warlocke Fourth Champion

Lulz. Sounds like someone already laid some landmines. He must be really scared if that bag was anywhere near his waste.

There was another really obvious error in there somewhere, but I don't recall what it was at the moment.

It's nice to see Harry reconciling with Hermione, though a lot of it probably just comes from them both realizing just how deep in the shit she is now (aside from the usual teen pregnancy woes). Even potentially carrying Harry's child brings her near the top of the next to die list.

8. jbern

jbern Alba Mater

It had to happen someday, I finally added another chapter. There is one more chapter to finish this story and then the epilogue. I'm going to start on that chapter next week. After I wrap this one up, I'll do the final two chapters of Inner Eye. Once those two stories have wrapped, I'll either do a couple of long one shots or short chaptered stories before I start on the sequel to The Lie I've Lived.

Hmm - my 1000th post.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2010
  9. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Rahkesh Asmodaeus THUNDAH Bawd Admin DLP Supporter

Why... can't you just start on Lie immediately? ;-;

10. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    What Sree said.

Though I understand you wanting to finish TML.

I was wondering if you were going to come back to FF, it's been a while.

inb4vashhatin'

11. capo327

capo327 Sixth Year

I'm not sure what made me happier today, the return of TML or the return of Futurama. In any case I'm highly anticipating this fic's end and any future fan fic updates.

12. Azira

Azira High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

The using of the multiple Harry's there in the end was... kinda lame. Like you were out of anything creative :x Oh well, good chapter apart from that. Hope the fight is epic.

13. eetragt

eetragt Third Year

I thought it was a nice reference to canon. Kind of a tongue in cheek homage.

14. fuubar

fuubar Headmaster

This. Also considering the general attitude of everyone towards Voldemort (do not fucking cross him or even contemplate 'misunderstanding' his orders') it makes for a valid way to distract your enemies.

It'll be interesting to see just how this ends, for some strange reason I'm not expecting the epilogue to consist of flowers and fuzzy bunnies.

15. whateveritis12

whateveritis12 Third Year

Rereading Bungle and I get to the end where Harry impregnates Lauren and I'm getting this really bad feeling in my stomach that the Daemon will be reborn through that child. I really don't want that to happen, because you already did something similar in Darkness with Voldemort being reborn through Penny's kid. Add to the fact that you killed Thundercloud in the last one I don't think it'd be fair for her to go through that. But then when have you really been fair in your stories. In Darkness you were extremely bloody in killing off everyone and anyone. Lie was pretty decent, but the war hadn't started yet.

So I'm going to ask to please don't harm Lauren, not that it's going to matter.

16. wordhammer

wordhammer Dark Lord DLP Supporter

New chapter posted; also there's news on his profile worth reading.

17. Perspicacity

Perspicacity Destroyer of Worlds ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

Where idiots are not legally permitted to vote
    High Score:
    Several DLP authors (myself included) have stories in the anthology, which should be available by the holidays.

There are some first-rate stories in the mix (Joe's and Shezza's, e.g.)

18. jbern

jbern Alba Mater

Mine is actually a toss up between Heather Sinclair's and Clell's story, but don't sell yourself short Pers. Your's is very good as well.

19. MattSilver

MattSilver The Traveller

New chapter was good - solid action, some nice one-liners ("Second guessing Kwan should be illegal."), and a couple of twists I didn't see coming. HHH2 sounds like good fun too, so I'm looking forward to that.

20. Dethklok

Dethklok Order Member

The power of Christ compels him not to tell you.
    Chapter 15 felt pretty epic. I'm happy. It went to some unexpected places, but it felt right.