1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Oneshot Two Weeks in the Alley by BajaB

Discussion in 'Humor' started by Heather_Sinclair, Mar 11, 2008.

1. MellowYellow

MellowYellow Fourth Year DLP Supporter

^ I agree.

2. Anubis

Anubis Seventh Year

5/5. Absolutely hillarious. Shame that it is only a oneshot...

3. silverlasso

silverlasso Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

This made me laugh, especially with the "do-random-stuff" attitude. The trunk cliché was funny, as was the dancing dog stuff. 4.5/5

4. Augurey

Augurey Backtraced

Any story that ends with Harry in the same room as a troupe of veela contortionists gets +4 points in the Augurey Algorithm of Awesomeness. 5/5

5. Garret P.I.

Garret P.I. Backtraced

4.5 out of 5.

Like nonjon I found myself smiling while reading it.

The fic really captured the age category that Harry was in at that time. Any kid, given the resources he's got, and having been as deprived as he's been would go banannas and have as much fun as they could while unsupervised.

While the humor might be missed by some... or they might think it's too "frivolous" or "immature"... well, to them I sez... tough noogies. It was entertaining.

6. Redd Lenses

Redd Lenses Guest

It looks like its the war of the fanboys...

Amerison: "I don't like it!!11oneeleven!!"

Next couple posts: "I don't like it!!11oneeleven!!"

Nonjon: "I like it!!11oneeleven!!"

Next couple posts: "I like it!!11oneeleven!!"

;)

7. Andro

Andro Master of Death DLP Supporter

This is the only one I've ever encountered. Do you happen to know any others?

8. Snarf

Snarf Squanchin' Party Bro! ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I must say that this didn't amuse me in the slightest. I started it with a big smile, seeing how everyone was like 'this is so, like, awesome!' but that ended up slowly receding into a frown. Depressing, and utterly disappointing. 1/5

9. fuubar

fuubar Headmaster

I read that and kind of thought that they meant any story that has Harry running around on a spree in Diagon Alley.

10. Shadowglen

Shadowglen First Year

I found this story entertaining. It's not a pinnacle of fanfiction or even all that great, but for what it was and what it set out to be it did it rather well.

Most of the jokes in it were almost spot on reminiscent of Rorschach's Blot's humor, with the notable exceptions in that it had an ending and only beat the jokes to a bloody pulp, rather than a slow agonizing death. Considering it’s a oneshot and not meant to be taken seriously, it still had some original takes on many clichés.

I'd give it a 4/5. Good for times when you want to be stupid.

11. Lucullus

Lucullus High Inquisitor

The fic's okay, I guess. There's nothing wrong with it, but nothing special about it too.

The thing is, there doesn't seem to be any point or purpose for the fic at all. So while I don't think it's poor to warrant a single point or two, it doesn't deserve the high scores some have been giving it too. 3/5 is all it gets from me.

12. Marsupial

Marsupial Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

Its not the most epic comedy fanfic I've ever read, but it was funny and it was reasonably original. :eek: Outside of a select few authors, I wasn't aware there was anyone left in the fandom coming up with new ideas and then executing them with a modicum of skill. If anyone knows of an earlier fic with this plot, feel free to slap me a couple times with it, but until then, this gets major credit from me for originality. Beyond that, the grammar and spelling is good - I was immersed enough by the story that any minor errors went without notice - and the style flows well and is very readable. I actually laughed a couple of times reading this, and not a pity laugh or a sadistic one like usual: I found it genuinely humourous. 5/5; that was well worth my time.
    </IMG>

13. 007_rock

007_rock DA Member

Good light read..... As a rule I don't expect much from one-shots other than spending half an hour or so..... This one was quite well-written and characterises a 13-year old quite well...

What I can't understand is why people are taking a one-shot Humour/Parody with such criticism???? It was just for a few laughs..... But everyone is entitiled to their own opinion so meh.....

Good one, I liked it..... 5/5 for a one-shot....

14. carvell

carvell Professor DLP Supporter

This is a great one-shot of an harry independent fic i've seen in a while, with this takeing place before 3rd year rather than after 5th thing's are alot different between this and other independent fic's, would an evil dumbledore have left Harry roam diagon ally for 2 week's to learn thing's even if he's only 12/13 year's rather that send him back home?. He wander's in and out of gringotts to learn about his money/property's, discover's new way's of learning via memory's, make's money etc etc.

iam surprised there are aren't other pre 3rd year independent fic's (which dosent have time travel) i mean at that point he's had his life threatened twice which is a good motivator to get any one to learn magic

5/5 even though some joke's were abit thin overall this was just a great well written fic.

15. mjc

mjc Seventh Year

Not a funny line?

Sheesh, some of you are a bit hard to please.

I found it at least moderately funny and somewhat Python-esque. Not an absolute side splitter, but funny enough to finish reading. It was better than about 90% of the rest of the so called humor fics around (technical and artistic).

I'd say 4 to 4.5/5.

16. BioPlague

BioPlague The Senate DLP Supporter

Fucking stupid.

1/5

17. the13thdragon

the13thdragon Raptured to Hell

There’s nothing really wrong with it, but it's not especially good ether.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
    <o:p></o:p>
    3/5<o:p></o:p>

18. DoubleE

DoubleE Third Year

Not the best fic in the world, but still a decent read that is light hearted and surprisingly dirty. Anyways, it is humorous enough for the library. 4/5.

19. Lokesin

Lokesin Slug Club Member

I got about 4 actual lol's out of it, so it passes the bill for comedy.

Siriusly guys, don't take it so seriously. :)

<DUCKS>

Really though, one of the more original pieces I've seen in a while, and that itself is an accomplishment.

5/5

Edit: What's with the random "The Office" Emoticons?

20. Argosh

Argosh Groundskeeper

I read it, very funny story. Its one of those that you want a sequel for, but it will probably be better off as a one-shot.