1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned Tyrant by Minstrel Knight - T

Discussion in 'The Alternates' started by lordduke, Aug 24, 2009.

1. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    My FF.net review:
    While I will continue to follow this and it is interesting, I don't think it has the "objective quality" (maybe technical quality is a better phrase) that the library requires. So 3/5.

2. Moeed

Moeed Third Year

As it stands I love the politics and for that alone 4/5 but I agree with Taure, at least one completely mind blowing battle scene is needed for a 5.

3. kmfrank

kmfrank Denarii Host DLP Supporter

No, EVERY action scene needs to be at least decent; there needs to be more action and political challenges, not just people surfing through problems by cheek and awesomeness.

It could also stand to be Harry centric, but if Harry duels Dumbledore and Flitwick at age 5...I smell an uber!Harry who will continue to surf through life without anything being challenged, and his life turns out perfectly.

I realize it's something that every new author seems to go through (myself being no exception, obviously), but I really think it's quite boring.

Here's a challenge to this (and every other author): have shit SERIOUSLY fuck up. Like everything. Kill a bunch of people, and just sort the shit out afterward.

Though I don't like it as much after a reread, Stranger in an Unholy Land did this really well.

The above would be much more refreshing to read than having Harry live his perfect little life.

4. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Did you read the fic?

He was duelling them at age 16.

5. kmfrank

kmfrank Denarii Host DLP Supporter

I didn't like it enough to get that far, I was going by what other people were saying. Didn't know about the time skip.

6. Silens Cursor

Silens Cursor The Silencer DLP Supporter

...well, considering my fic was dragged up in comparision to this, I figured I should take a look.

First of all, and I have no qualms in saying this, the action sequences are not strong in the slightest. A lack of description and good pacing makes them rather weak, if anything.

Unlike most of the readers here, though, I found the dialogue to be quite poor. It wasn't that it was badly written - more that it was stilted, and didn't flow well at all, and this problem only got worse as the story continued. The dramatic 'emotion' of the dialogue just didn't seem to be there, and I felt this really hurt the story.

Politics I found were good, but uncreative, and I really disagreed with the characterizations in this fic. Harry was unrecognizable, Sirius was unbelievable, and I just didn't like what was done with Dumbledore. If anything, the 'factions' seemed like something pulled straight from an Indy!Harry fic, and I really disliked that.

Overall, a good writing style and original ideas can save many fics, but this certainly isn't one of them. 2/5

7. Hugo

Hugo Second Year

As far as the Romanesque theme in the story goes...I'll give it a 3.5/5 because he still has a lot of mistakes in his political scenes.

I have a major problem with his population schematics. I don't know what most people believe the magic worlds population to be but generally, its accepted that it CAN NOT be bigger than 10 000 and 15 000 if you push it right. Look at the facts. If you go and tell me "well they have a longer lifespan" then i'll tell you that even if they have a longer life span, it would not mean shit...two consecutive wars will damage any population size. If it wasn't for the baby boom, America would be pretty empty right now. And there has not been any hint give that a similar expansion occured with the wizarding world.

I know that this is FANFICTION but if you are going to put out some crap like this, than at least provide a plausible reason. And the duelling just sucked. 1/5 for the story itself..

8. Kthr

Kthr Unspeakable DLP Supporter

The story has been updated, and the latest chapter brings more political maneuvers. I personally enjoyed all the backstabs going around, and while the story has become too much AU, it is still highly entertaining.

While it Harry's maturity and intellect seemed a bit forced, I found myself enjoying his interactions with Dumbledore, as well as his impact in the events that changed the world.

I`m rating this one 4/5, and I am highly looking foward to the next update.

Voldemort, the dreadlord(I feel silly saying that. Maybe it's time to cut off WoW for a while) is still alive, locked inside azkaban