1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Ugly Hermione version 2.0

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Dark Syaoran, Sep 17, 2005.

1. realmess

realmess Slug Club Member

there are people who like LIKE the actor who plays Ron- weird, that dude is really nothing interesting, and in need of a haircut. He's got like one expression on all the pic [a little sneer I think] that makes him look just plain wrong.

Hermione- she's not bad. I liked her in PoA [she smacks Draco :banana: yay :] She does have ugly eyebrows, whoever told her to darken them was doing her a disservice. Midknight's pictures gave me shivers, but then she's what I'd call 'average'.

Harry [what's his name Dan Radcliff or something]- when I saw the pictures for GoF- auch, the same comment about eyebrows. he's the most acceptable from the bunch, estethically speaking.
    Harry: http://www.mugglenet.com/gallery/details.php?image_id=551

o.k. so I went to mugglenet to find a nice picture of Hermione's and I failed. tough luck, dammit. I so wanted to proove she's not that bad. Well, at least she has a few nice pictures too. :evil:

2. Lord Ravenclaw

Lord Ravenclaw DLP Overlord Admin DLP Supporter

Rather than moon over some half-ugly actress who uses copious amounts of makeup to look good, I prefer the "real girl" type who without makeup looks great. Emma is no exception to the rule when it comes to half-ugly actresses.

3. ChuckDaTruck

ChuckDaTruck Overlord

well said Lord Ravenclaw. :)

4. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Yep I'd rather have a girl who looks good to wake up next to in the morning, then one that only looks good the night before (when the makeup, alcohol, etc is still in full swing)

5. Giovanni

Giovanni God of Scotch

They all have serious physical defects.

Kid who plays Harry looks like an intellectual... Nothing wrong with that... Just not Harry.
    Hermione... *begins counting flaws*
    Ron... Needs to be shot... Looks like a retarded oaf.

6. ChuckDaTruck

ChuckDaTruck Overlord

Yeah, but in canon Ron IS a retarded oaf, so it kind of works. :D :wink:

7. Giovanni

Giovanni God of Scotch

Fair point... But seriously... The movies over do it.

8. Midknight

I think they cast Hermione well, I may not like Watson's looks, but she plays the part of an annoying know it all well.

Grint, grunt, whatever, is a retarded oaf whose acting gets worse each year.

Dan's acting did show a improvement in CoS, but in PoA, his, and everyone's, was horrid. Maybe he'll redeem himself in GoF. We'll never get a Harry like the books describe him, you'd need like a 90 lb, stick thin kid (malnourishment that Harry went through) short kid, and that type of actor isn't marketable.

9. Giovanni

Giovanni God of Scotch

Yeah... I wasn't talking about that though... I was talking about that little psycho part of him that needs to exist for his lines to work. He just doesn't have that "look at me funny and I will whoop your ass" edge which he most certainly needs, and displays every now and then throughout the books. Meanwhile in the movies... Well Radcliffe just doesn't have it.

10. ChuckDaTruck

ChuckDaTruck Overlord

Bah! Harry "Look at me funny and I will whip your ass"! Canon Harry is a pussy. You're understandably mixing up good fanfic with bad canon. Harry took shit from Dumbledore, Snape, and UMBRIDGE, and FILCH!!! The others you could say are more powerful than him in some sense (Umbridge politically), but Filch! And let's not forget about Draco Malfoy (remember during 4th Year when everyone had those badges? What did Harry do? NOTHING!) He takes shit from Dudley and ALL the Dursley's. The most we see him EVER stand up to them is when he lies and tells them his Godfather, the serial killer, is still on the loose. And he occassionally tells Dudley off, but that's mutual, not "whoop your ass". And he takes shit from GILDEROY LOCKHART "clean this up," the guy who ultimately gets him at wand point, and he lucks out with.

Harry takes shit even from little Ginny Weasley "I walked around Voldemort inside my head for a year, so I think I know what its like." OOTP. TELL HER to SHUT UP! He takes crap from Hermione about what he should be doing and what he shouldn't. Not to mention Fudge. And he takes crap from Rita Skeeter/the press.

The only people who he has REALLY stood up to are Bellatrix Lestrange, Tom Riddle, and Rufus Scrimgeour (and that was Dumbledore's influence who knows what he would have done if Dumbledore hadn't said anything).

I think that's it. Does he stand up to people, sort of (Standing up to Umbridge, but ultimately he just gets upset and broods and doesn't really say anything. With Umbridge he didn't DO anything to stop her abuse. Same with Snape. He just takes it. And this is what REALLY happens to a kid if he grows up taking shit for things when he did nothing wrong. He comes to expect it. Harry has some innate stones and that's why he turned out better than Neville, but in terms of what he expects from the world and how he reacts THEY ARE THE SAME. Both whine and are DESPERATE for approval and to validate themselves. Harry from Dumbledore, Neville his Grannie. Dumbledore, despite what we may say, truly did a great job. He got someone who would follow him on a whim. We fantasize about Harry being Independent because that's what he SHOULD do, but in reality the thought never enters his head. He NEEDS Dumbledore to love him and tell him he's good again. He's Giddy when Dumbledore writes him a letter (see the note in HBP that Harry reads OVER AND OVER AGAIN :shock: ) Harry is SO happy to be back in Dumbledore's life and was so hurt when the old-man stopped talking to him, that he never questions WHY he was kicked out. Harry in Canon is a pussy desperate for Dumbledore's approval, which is why Dumble's is seen through such Rose-tinted glasses; because the story is told from Harry's perspective. Canon Harry is just a pussy who doesn' have the stones to stand up to anyone unless Dumbledore approves it (notice how he was keeping secrets about Snape that Relate to Harry, and Harry barely reacted.)

He didn't say, "I can't trust you; you're never honest" because even though that's true, Harry CAN'T believe it. His whole ego is based on Dumbledore's approval of him. THe one time he challenges him in HBP about Snape, Harry is immediately shot down.

WOW!! This really turned into a rant, huh? Sorry

11. Giovanni

Giovanni God of Scotch

I disagree.

Harry might be a whiney bitch 90% of the time in canon... But the other 10% of the time he is kicking ass and taking names.

He killed a Professor when he was ELEVEN!!!
    He killed a giant snake and part of a soul at 12.
    And 5th year he put together a crew, broke into the ministries department of mysteries, and cursed everything in sight. Then used an unforgivable.

Admittedly, he is a pussy for most of canon... But there are points where he has an edge. Radcliffe does not have said edge... He is 100% whiney bitch as opposed to 90-95%.

12. ChuckDaTruck

ChuckDaTruck Overlord

hmmm. You bring up some good points. But standing up implies choice. Here the only choice IS what he has. but you do have a point. I've gotta think about it.

13. Giovanni

Giovanni God of Scotch

Ah, but that is the true paradox.

Every single thing that we do is a choice... There is no such thing as not having a choice, there are always options. Should I eat breakfast, or kill myself?

Though I am severely dissapointed in JKR. She screwed up existentialist philosophy with Tom Riddle.

In her attempt to prove that everything is a choice she created a situation where she had a sociopathic individual effectively eliminating half of the choices (all of the ones with lightsided consequences.)

I never said Harry was like Al Pacino in Scarface... I said that some of the time he is tough. Radcliffe is incapable of portraying this... Instead he is just a tool in the movies.

14. ChuckDaTruck

ChuckDaTruck Overlord

Not as bad as Rupert Grint

"Hermione, NO!!! He's not worth it." WOW! AND you, Rupert Grint, aren't worth the 5$ that your father payed to fuck your whore of a mother. :D

15. Midknight

One of the few times I've never had anything to add to a post I approved of Charlie, although the last one about a whore was a bit over =P

Dan juss exudes geek, not killer of stuff.

16. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Rahkesh Asmodaeus THUNDAH Bawd Admin DLP Supporter

Rupert just looks like a constipated fuck most of the time. Man, do I hate that actor.

17. ChuckDaTruck

ChuckDaTruck Overlord

No, his best thing is the wide-mouthed confused and over-whelmed expression he ALWAYS has on his face. It looks so natural on him too, like he's always acting confused and over-whelmed. Of Course he's just acting....

18. Giovanni

Giovanni God of Scotch

Umm... Thats his NATURAL expression.

If I ever saw him in Real Life I would probably punch him... Just out of principle.

No one with that perpetually stupid look deserves to make money off of it.

19. Midknight

yeah my thoughts exactly, he just stands there and he's either :

confused

scared

happy.

Thats ALL he does!?!

20. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

Or he screams and his voice breaks about five times.