1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Unbowed, Unbroken, Unrelenting - A DLP Anthology

Discussion in 'Books and Anime Discussion' started by Joe, Feb 6, 2013.

1. MattSilver

MattSilver The Traveller

In order according to the table of contents: Pers, LittleChicago, Averis, Joe, Zenzao, Silens, Nauro, Swim, Me, Zennith, Lungs, Calz, Jeram, The Wise Tomato, Carmine, and Celestin. Enjoy, and be sure to leave a review!

2. Hawkin

Hawkin Chief Warlock

3. Aerylife

Aerylife Not Equal

High Score:
    I will def get the paperback version, really proud of you guys.

4. Lungs

Lungs KT Loser ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Not enough fuck yeahs to go around I don't think.

I'm going to make my friends buy paperback copies or something :D

5. Thyestean

Thyestean Slug Club Member

Bought it and read the first story last night. I enjoyed it. Plus the little physics bits made me giggle. Next story on the list to read is swim's cause he is a sexy beast.

Edit: If you are looking for criticism pers. Rest is under spoiler as I don't want to ruin anything.

I felt the beginning was a tad hard to get into. I'm not entirely sure why, but my mind wondered until the grey man in workers clothes. Dialogue was fantastic. My only other gripe would be something out of your control, with it being a short story. I really didn't care about Myra, I did like Jack though. Either way great story.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2013
  6. Juggler

Juggler Death Eater DLP Supporter

How many sales does top ten in Amazon's catagories entail? If possible, measurements in DLP (or /174$). The fuck yeahs in this thread are making me want to read more, too.

7. Perspicacity

Perspicacity Destroyer of Worlds ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

Where idiots are not legally permitted to vote
    High Score:
    Thanks for the feedback, Thyestean. It's very much appreciated.

8. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Left that 5-star review on Amazon last night btw. I can't remember why I tried to make a joke about Pete and Repeat -- I think I was drinking wine by that point.

At any rate, 5 stars, and I commented on four of the stories I remembered. I left it a little vague in case they changed significantly.

9. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Everyone knows 5 stars are left by family and friends. Leave 4 stars, people XD

10. Ched

You go do that then :p

11. silverlasso

silverlasso Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

I have bought a copy. TBH, I didn't know this was actually happening (clearly I haven't spent much time on DLP in the past few months). So congrats to everyone who contributed.

12. Joe

Joe The Reminiscent Exile ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter ⭐⭐⭐

High Score:
    Amazon's algorithm for determining a books position isn't solely defined by the number of sales. I'd say sales make up the vast majority, but other factors come into play when determining a book's rank.

It's a closely guarded secret, so no one can be certain, but it is believed these factors also play a hand in ranking:

• Time
    • Time between sales
    • Average sales
    • Cost
    • Reviews

And one or two more.

As it stands, the sales of our anthology have (predictably) slowed since Day One, but by no means stopped. At the moment, we're closing in on three-figures worth of sales. 86, to be exact. So almost thirty sales a day since release. Not too shabby at all.

However, I hesitate to put a cash value on that, as until I get the monthly report from Amazon I won't know to what value each of those sales earned a royalty.

The majority, I imagine, will be US sales, and at a cost of tree-fiddy for the anthology, that means $2.45 per sale. However, not all of them will be US sales. And the royalty rate varies depending on country. Some countries, Amazon only offers a 35% return on every sale.

But, if we assume they are all US sales (they won't be), but for the sake of numbers, then the anthology has netted:

2.45*86 = 210.70

So, a month of running the site and a bit of spare change. Not too shabby for 3 days. Not too shabby at all.

Now, it being February, Amazon won't release that money to me until 60 days after the end of whatever month it was made in. So end of April, and they send cheques to me (yeah, I know, I'm working on it), which don't clear for about 28 days, in the international banking system. So, any money made in February won't physically be in my hands until early May.

After that though, providing the anthology continues to sell at least 71 copies a month, it would cover the costs of our little community quite admirably. Again, assuming all US sales and any country where 70% royalty applies. Won't always be the case, but that may be pushing our luck. We'll see.

I would estimate at least 25-40 sales a month, based on my own data, once the initial surge quietens down. Certainly nothing to smirk at, for a silly old lil writing community like ours.

Edit: As an aside, it doesn't take a numbers genius to see what the compounding returns may be on a slew of quality anthologies produced by the good people here. My lofty goal, although it was scoffed at some years ago, would be to make enough funds from a bunch of anthologies to offer a payment to the authors that produce them. Nothing absurd, of course, but definitely a case of beer in exchange for a story. That way, everyone wins - the site, the community, the authors, and everyone gains writing experience. Eh, from small things...

13. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

Really? I wonder what's their explanation for this. Or an explanation why our anthology costs almost twice its price ($6.76) when you log in from Poland. It wouldn't cost me much more to make them physically ship this ebook to me ($3.99). :p

14. Churchey

Churchey Supreme Mugwump

Is there a way to get the kindle version onto a nook?

15. Sechrima

Sechrima Disappeared

I use this to convert all my ebooks to whatever format I need them to be in.

16. Ched

Why haven't any of the rest of you non-author jackasses left a review?

17. Joe

Joe The Reminiscent Exile ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter ⭐⭐⭐

High Score:
    Heh.

Yeah, what Trek said!

Seriously, reviews make the world go round on sites like Amazon. You do need to make an account, but honestly it's the work of two minutes to leave a brief loved it or hated it with some stars.

Make it happen.

18. Nauro

Nauro Headmaster

Hah, it shows $6.66 here.
    Albeit, only from most computers.

19. draconian139

draconian139 DA Member

Sadly I haven't had the time to actually read the book yet. Planning to get it finished by the end of the week and then I'll leave one.

20. H_A_Greene

H_A_Greene Unspeakable –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Second review up on Amazon now, we're making slow if steady progress.

*slow clap*

Keep 'em coming, guys :D