1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Unbowed, Unbroken, Unrelenting - A DLP Anthology

Discussion in 'Books and Anime Discussion' started by Joe, Feb 6, 2013.

1. Xantam

Xantam Denarii Host

*takes a bow* But really, I haven't had much time to read the anthology yet even though I bought it a few days ago, but I figured I would leave a fairly generic review right now and help sales. I'll probably edit it later once I've finished. I encourage others to do the same.

2. Juggler

Juggler Death Eater DLP Supporter

On that note, I did. I'm only finished four of them so far, so I may still edit it after finishing, but some is better than none.

And on that note, what definition of antihero was used for the requirement? I wouldn't have thought of a few of these characters as antiheroes, not to complain.

3. H_A_Greene

H_A_Greene Unspeakable –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    :D

I believe at least some of us used the TvTropes scale for the different degrees of an antihero.

4. Carmine

Carmine Unspeakable

We're looking good with these reviews! Still wish I was on the contributors list though so I could show friends/family ;D How's that going btw Joe?

5. Joe

Joe The Reminiscent Exile ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter ⭐⭐⭐

High Score:
    Yeah they're giving me the arse around, saying it can't be done. But I've seen it done, so I'll keep pestering them.

If you check out the Goodreads entry, all authors are listed there in the proper place, so that's something to show off!

6. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

This is what I remember looking at to make sure my character would fall within the "Anti-Hero" definition.

I think a lot of sentiment automatically defines the anti-hero as the Nineties Anti-Hero, but that's not what we were going for (AFAIK). I think mine would have been more Type III had I finished it on time, but Type I is the "classical Anti-Hero" and it's almost never what anyone thinks of anymore (yet still qualifies).

7. Hawkin

Hawkin Chief Warlock

Yep I made sure I put everyone on that!

8. Joe

High Score:
    Now there's a pretty thing:

[​IMG]

Looks good, yeah? Nice solid weight, and the text on the front, spine, and back is very legible (one of our concerns was that there may be something lost from design to print, but no). I think we made the right choice with the cover.

Inside the paper is cream-coloured, not pure white, and the margins are just right. Also a beautiful dedication and acknowledgment, thanking me for all my hard work.

Dear Joe

You are awesome and people like you.

Love, Joe

9. Anarchy

Anarchy Half-Blood Prince DLP Supporter

That cover actually looks really good with the semi-glossy paper.

10. Mage

Mage Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

I'm pretty sure that the lack of Nook version is purely to swindle people like me out of more money. That being said, it's not much money and it's so incredibly worth it. Got a Kindle copy because I have to read it now. Will get a Nook copy because I couldn't leave my poor Nook without it. And then will get several paperback copies when that comes out for the sheer awesomeness of it, and so I can make friends and family read it.

Incredibly impressed by everyone right now, you all did an amazing job. I've left a review on Amazon, and will continue to edit it as I read more. Can't wait for the next one already!

11. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Or buy the kindle copy and use Calibre or something to convert it to an epub that you can read on your Nook? 95% sure that's possible.

12. Hawkin

Hawkin Chief Warlock

Looking at the finish product and I'm like...woah. I had printed one just to get a feel of how it would look and it didn't even come close to it. It's amazing.

Thanks again Joe for all the work you put into this, it's been like what...4 days since I sent you the final version and you managed to have physical copies already! I'll have to buy a couple for friends and family who are interested in the paper version! :p

13. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    ...I bought the Kindle Version, but I think I might have to buy the paperback too.

14. Silens Cursor

Silens Cursor The Silencer DLP Supporter

Joe, I've got at least fifteen buyers as soon as you get the paperbacks out, just saying.

Oh, and by the way everybody? Stellar doesn't even begin to cover how awesome this is. Congrats to everyone who put in all the hard work, and an extra congrats to Joe for coordinating this awesomeness. Joe, I've got a very good bottle of scotch sitting in my liquor cabinet - get your ass out to Toronto, because I'd hate to drink it alone.

15. Ash

Ash Moves Like Jagger DLP Supporter

And Joe posts yet another picture of a book he has before everyone else! ;)

I thought the paper-copy was out, was sorely disappointed upon racing to Amazon.

16. Joe

High Score:

Heh, what I have is the first proof copy. The one I get sent to go over with a magnifying glass and make sure all is formatted correctly, everyone gets a credit, and I haven't missed anything vital like a story or part of a story.

I pretty much nailed it on this first proof. One issue I did have to fix was, when I altered the margins in the paperback file, it changed the page numbers... which didn't update in the contents section at the start of the book. So, all the page numbers were wrong.

That was the only issue I could see, and it is fixed. I sent an updated file and approved the proof. Should be available sometime during the week.

I am, very tentatively, calling this done...

Anthology #1 is finished.

After the effort that went into this (effort = drink), I think I may need a few days to sober up! But I like the sound of those buyers. Very much so.

Thanks for the thanks, folks.

17. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Over! But we haven't even started marketing yet!

You can take out an advert on Goodreads which is a default of $0.50 pay-per-click, capped at $5/day.

Basically the way it works is you bid for ad space, with the highest bids getting priority. The default bid is $0.50. When someone clicks on your ad, you pay the amount you bidded for that space. Maximum of $5/day - you have to contact them if you want more to arrange an advertising deal.

Goodreads advertising FAQ.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2013
  18. Joe

High Score:
    Heh, no better advertising than word of mouth, right?

Tell the truth, I've never been sold and paid advertising. Author's these days, they're encouraged, even required, to do the majority of the marketing themselves. Such as use Goodreads, join fantasy/genre forums, hawk on street corners...

But paid advertising? Does anyone actually click on that intent on buying?

Eh, I'm no marketing student, so I don't know. Perhaps once we're more established, as in settled into a groove with a whole slew of awesome reviews, it may be worth trying as an experiment. I'd actually be interested to know if it pays off. At five dollars a day, we'd need to be selling 3 copies a day to remain in slim profit. But that may be better than no copies a day.

Bah.

Edit: PAPERBACK AVAILABLE HERE!

https://www.createspace.com/4126494

Yep, it popped up on the estore at CreateSpace before it appeared on Amazon. So those who wanted paperback, go ahead and grab a copy (or five, think of your friends) now. Funnily enough, if you buy it directly from CreateSpace, we actually get a higher return on the royalty. Here's a breakdown.

Cost: 12.99

Royalty:

Amazon: 3.22 p/copy

CreateSpace: 5.67 p/copy

Cutting out the middleman is worth almost double, so I'd say grab it at CreateSpace. Although if you'd rather not, it should appear on Amazon either some point today or tomorrow.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2013
  19. Klackerz

Klackerz Bridgeburner

What about advertising in reddit. Maybe post it in /r/fantasy or some other popular subreddits.

20. Mage

Mage Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

DRM usually prevents that. dont know if this is different, but I tried it with Distant Star and was unable to convert it.