1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Upcoming movies and shows in 2023

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by ScottPress, May 26, 2022.

1. Arthellion

Arthellion Lord of the Banned ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:

This looks charming...

2. Quick Ben

Quick Ben In ur docs, stealin ur werds.

Does it? Huh, as a fan, it looks like a high budget fan film.

I want to watch the japanese version of that trailer

3. Rehio

Rehio Bad Dragon ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I trust Oda, and he approved everything to do with the show.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 22, 2023
  4. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    That looks like hot garbage ngl

5. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I'm so worried for Avatar.

6. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Haven't made it to either of Barbenheimer, but I did go to see the new Mission Impossible today - utterly preposterous, mostly in all the best ways, and along with Spiderverse that's now two films I'm eagerly awaiting part 2 of in a year or so.

7. MonkeyEpoxy

MonkeyEpoxy The Cursed Child DLP Supporter

Oppenheimer was incredible. On first watch on a real IMAX, I have it as his best, beyond TDK, The Prestige, and Inception, but that might be recency bias. IDK

I loved all three hours.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2023
  8. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Interstellar is not on that list?

Glad to hear it though. I've heard some people were a bit like but not love about it.

9. MonkeyEpoxy

MonkeyEpoxy The Cursed Child DLP Supporter

As of now, my Nolan list in all its possible recency bias is

Oppenheimer - The Prestige - The Dark Knight - Inception - Interstellar- Batman Begins - Dunkirk - Memento - Tenet - TDKR

Haven't seen Insomnia or Following

10. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Your placement of Dunkirk and Tenet tells me we're mostly on the same page here then.

11. CrackedMind

CrackedMind Minister of Magic

Saw Barbie last night- utterly delightful. Would recommend anyone and everyone to see it, it was a lot of fun.

Gonna see Oppenheimer today so im excited for that.

12. Heleor

Heleor EsperJones DLP Supporter

Good Omens Season 2 dropped on Amazon. It's a fun watch.

Really hoping they get a season 3.

13. Shinysavage

High Score:
    Just finished it, a very worthy continuation of the original. Fingers crossed for the third season.

14. Heleor

Heleor EsperJones DLP Supporter

Gaiman on tumblr is being pretty transparent that renewal is based on the metrics that Amazon sees -- number of new people who watch it, and number of people who watch it all the way through in the first 1 month and the first 4 months of release.

15. Shinysavage

High Score:
    It was the same with Sandman, apparently - it being the most popular show on the site for about a month still wasn't a definite renewal, they still needed a certain number (which they got, of course).

16. douter

douter Sixth Year

High Score:
    I have only seen 2 movies this year, Spiderman which was amazing, 10/10. To follow that high went and saw the big political movie on the year.
    We got to the cinema early and it was already packed, they had to open the second counter! Saw lots of folks in pink and others in black.
    It was showing in the grand theater, big chairs to lie down in, awesome. Saw the new dune trailer looks hype.

Just blown away with the acting, directing you name it. Everything was mint! I'm probably just echoing what everyone else has said.

Maybe the best movie I've seen. 10/10

Big Shark ;)

Last edited: Aug 4, 2023
  17. Steelbadger

Steelbadger Death Eater

Went to see Barbie yesterday, and it was a lot of fun. What I found interesting was how it had a lot of different layers of parody and commentary, and while some of them were really nicely subtle, others were a little mallet-to-the-head obvious. Probably the thing that I found most... tiring, I guess, was the constant use of 'patriarchy'. Now, call me a snob, but having grown up on a diet of Pratchett using an absurdist world to lampshade real-world issues while almost never actually going so far as to mention the thing being lampshaded directly, I felt like it was a bit on the nose. Like, the point of the movie would have still been there without characters explicitly name-dropping patriarchy at every step of the process. We can probably work it out, you know.

There are still parts that puzzled me, however. Like the Mattel board. They seem to be every bit as absurd as the Barbies and Kens, despite theoretically being from the 'real' world. At first, I thought it was another riff on the 'progressive businesses run and staffed by white men patting themselves on the back for whatever scraps they see fit to hand down to others' which is touched on in a few other places, but unlike in those cases, they're not really presented as villains in the ending. They're given a prime opportunity to support the 'Ken Land' thing, which is shown to be very lucrative, but they do not. I guess I'm overthinking that, now, on reflection. The fact that the Board's ending didn't really match their introduction is almost certainly a symptom of Mattel having a poke at whatever the original script was to ensure they weren't presented too poorly.

I felt that perhaps there was a missed opportunity at the end when Ken was crying definitely not crying (because he's a strong, emancipated man) to have some kind of weak echo of Gloria's speech about the ways that his patriarchy limited his own options too, though perhaps this is meant to be delivered through Alan. Then again, the movie was already doing a lot of heavy-lifting, and perhaps that would be a bridge too far. After all, the movie doesn't really try to present solutions, and why should it have to? It's a Barbie movie.

And I had fun.

I kinda want a t-shirt with 'Ken out of Ten' or 'I am Kenough' written on it. Is it weird that the most obvious pop-culture meme quotes are Ken-related?

18. CrackedMind

CrackedMind Minister of Magic

Mattel does sell the “I am Kenough” sweatshirt. Lot of knockoffs too.

19. Arthellion

Arthellion Lord of the Banned ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Only one episode in...but One Piece live action is a ton of fun.

20. kira and light

kira and light Seventh Year

Three episodes in One Piece and honestly it really is fun...

I can't think of a single story that is more ill suited for a live action treatment with OP being so over the top and goofy but it does capture the feeling of the manga.

Some scene do really make me cringe though in live action and some of the customs should not be made for real life but at least it is not afraid of embracing the source material ,which is more than you can say from some of the stuff being produced right now.

Would recommend, it is heartwarming and I can't help but smile watching it but sometimes you get a feeling of surrealism, that pulls you out, just from it being a live action show.