1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Upcoming Movies in 2012

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by Trig, Dec 19, 2011.

1. GiantMonkeyMan

GiantMonkeyMan High Inquisitor

I don't know why but I love Mark Wahlburg in comedic roles. I think he's got great timing.

2. Exile

Exile High Inquisitor

Couldn't agree more. People rag on The Other Guys but it is one of my favorites and not just because of Will Ferrell. The unedited trailer makes me laugh already. Marky keeps a damn good straight face. Thunder song, 'nuff said.

3. asherojones

asherojones Muggle

It's not a proper thread to ask this.....But I am not able to remember the name of an English movie...a 8-10 year old kid's love story...anyone??

4. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    First trailer for Skyfall is now available.

5. Infidel

Infidel Auror

Just watched the trailer for skyfall. Wondering what Ralph Fiennes role is going to be. Another movie I really want to watch is Gangster squad. The trailer is quite intense.

6. Red Aviary

Red Aviary Hogdorinclawpuff ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
  7. Grinning Lizard

Grinning Lizard Supreme Mugwump

Not a fan of Luhrman's, nor particularly of the book, but bizarrely I think the two could work together very well. Be an interesting one to watch.

8. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Of the many books we were forced to read in highschool, the only one I'd like to see made into a movie less than Gatsby is Their Eyes Were Watching God.

Ironically, they've both been made into movies already.

Where the fuck is the film adaptation of The Things They Carried, Hollywood?

9. Portus

Portus Heir

I liked the book, but I can't see the poignancy transferring well to a movie. To make it relate-able to an audience unfamiliar with the book, the "things" would have to have attention drawn specifically to them, and IIRC an actual plot would have to be added, as the book was much more about the "things" and not so much about the surrounding events, i.e. the war.

I could be wrong of course, or even forgetting a large part of the book.

10. Silens Cursor

Silens Cursor The Silencer DLP Supporter

So, the new trailer for Les Miserables dropped today, and...

Ugh, this frustrates me, because while I have big issues with Les Miserables, for the most part, it's a decent musical. Not anything close to my favourite, but eh. And you know what? It looks like they're going balls out to try and make a solid adaptation of it. They've got a reasonably strong cast and so far it looks good in the trailer.

But I just can't help but feel a real sinking feeling every time I watch the trailer. Even with Hooper at the helm and a pretty solid cast, they can't possibly elevate this beyond obvious middling-quality Oscar bait and that's a damn shame. Even if they all throw everything into it... no, I'm not going to allow myself to get psyched over this.

11. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

You know after this one memorable Susan Boyle's performance any other version of I Dreamed a Dream is lacking real emotional impact to me.

EDIT: Also, not a 2012 film, but it seems that Stallone and De Niro will make a movie together about retired, but still competing with each other boxers that want to return to the ring for one final fight. It's a comedy (because you never know with the Hollywood).

Last edited: May 31, 2012
  12. KHAAAAAAAN!!

High Score:
    I dreamed a dream is probably my least favorite song from Les Mis... unfortunately it's also the most popular.

Sidenote: Anne Hathaway's voice makes me cringe.

13. Celestin

Wreck-It Ralph.

People call it Toy Story for gamers and I pretty much agree with it. And all these awesome cameos. :)

---------- Post automerged at 08:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:06 PM ----------

And finally we have trailer for Django Unchained. Looks good.

14. redshell

redshell Order Member

In the Wreck-It Ralph link, there's a trailer for a movie called Flight in the Related Videos section. Is it just me, or does it look good?

15. KHAAAAAAAN!!

High Score:
    I saw Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter today. It was so 'WTF terrible', it was actually entertaining. It started kinda slow, a typical vampire hunter movie, but halfway through, it stopped taking itself seriously and embraced the ridiculousness. The entire audience was cracking up on multiple occasions.

I highly recommend it for a good laugh.

16. redshell

redshell Order Member

It's based off a book, written by the same guy who did Pride and Prejudice and Zombies. Surprisingly, the author does his research and manages to put the two worlds together in a manner that is actually well done, and the books do take themselves seriously, but it's also blatantly obvious that you're meant to laugh.

I'll probably go see it, just to compare the two.

17. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Saw Snow White* today.

Predictably, it's not great.

The overall impression of the film is that it's very confused. It's trying to be a modern take on a fairytale, with powerful female characters and so on... but at the same time, it's trying to stick to the original closely. The end result is a film that is at once trying to depict a strong independent heroine, and also a damsel in distress who needs saving. So you have Kristen Stewart escaping on her own in one scene, then being saved by love interest #1 in the next. Then she's saved again by another man, and then she's leading an army and fighting (despite never having had any kind of training in this area).

Another problem is the meandering storyline. There were so many elements in the middle of the story that were pointless and going nowhere. I think they could have cut everything with the fairies and dwarfs and it would have been more coherent.

The love triangle was boring. They'd depicted Stewart as innocent and young, so Thor seemed more like an older brother or father to her than a love interest. And the other love interest was a wet blanket (funny, though - Stewart is always in films that feature a love triangle/threesome action).

Another problem was Kristen Stewart herself. Now, I'm not part of the Stewart hatewagon. I think she's a reasonably good actress (if she can control her lip biting) and quite pretty. She's just been in a few shitty roles (Twilight, this). But she was good in Into the Wild, and I reckon she'll be good in the upcoming On The Road. But this was not her finest hour.

But hey, the credit music was good. Yay Florence and the Machine.

*Not my decision, was invited by friends.

18. Celestin

You omitted the only thing that is really worthwhile in this film - Charlize Theron. :)

19. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    She spends most of the film aged with CGI to look like an old woman.

20. Churchey

Churchey Supreme Mugwump

I saw this today as well. Absolutely awful.
    And only a few parts were laughably bad. Probably the worst movie I've seen since Shamalaamanakanklnalwkamn fucked up the ATLA movie. It wasn't entertaining.

I doubt it is even worth renting, it was THAT fucking awful. If a friend asked if he should pirate it, I would tell him that even if he had a PETABYTE of open space on his harddrive, he shouldn't waste any of it on this piece of trash.