1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Upcoming Movies in 2014

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by Ash, Jul 14, 2013.

1. Jeram

Jeram Elder of Zion ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I suppose I can buy that. Otherwise I don't know how they'd manage

2. Red Aviary

Red Aviary Hogdorinclawpuff ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Robot-Rhino was in the Ultimate universe, though its pilot was some nerdy guy, not, well, what we saw Paul Giamatti looking like. I guess it's an attempt to fuse the mainstream and Ultimate versions.

I kind of liked the idea they used for the Rhino in the Amazing Spider-Man video game. Instead of a guy in a suit or a guy in a mech, he was a guy fused with rhino DNA, much like how Peter's got spider DNA. That game's not canon, obviously, but it was still interesting.

3. Tapi

Tapi Third Year

Ash
  4. Quick Ben

Quick Ben In ur docs, stealin ur werds.

Not a complaint but the spider man bits seem cartoonish. At least it gives the movie a more Comic book-y vibe.

5. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

Jupiter Ascending trailer.

On the one hand I like the visuals, but Wachowskis usually deliver when it comes to it. On the other everything else is rather meh.

6. Lutris

Lutris Jarl Dovahkiin DLP Supporter

Are you kidding? It's gonna be awesome, in that 90's-space-opera-anime-with-mechas kind of way. Yes, it's not going to be breaking cinematic ground, but man. I was pretty enthused about the robots and space opera everything.

It's 90s anime. But on the big screen and by Hollywood. It's like Pacific Rim all over again. Totally psyched. Been wanting something like that for ages.

7. Red Aviary

Red Aviary Hogdorinclawpuff ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Well the trailer looks kind of neat, but looking on Wikipedia I'm seeing some red flags that make it sound a bit stupid.

8. Lord Raine

Lord Raine Disappeared DLP Supporter

I'd like it more if we weren't pretending DNA was magic and that evolution is taking people towards some kind of glowing floating humanoid singularity of superiority and divine sovereignty, as opposed to merely allowing people to survive efficiently in the environments they exist in.

We didn't harp on nuclear power this goddamn long. People stopped being willing to believe radiation could turn ants and fossils into monsters once we understood how radiation works.

"But Lord Raine-"

No. Science fiction is ruled by the barely plausible, not the utterly fantastical. An explanation and some grounding in some scientific facts are necessary to properly convey a science fiction world. If you go beyond that line, it's not science fiction anymore, it's fantasy with guns and spaceships.

It's the creative work of two minutes to fix the holes the plot already has in it that a primary schooler could point out. I've already thought of three different ways you could change literally nothing about the plot, just the background details and spoken dialogue, and make the whole thing completely plausible. That they couldn't be assed to do this doesn't reflect well on the movie as a work of science fiction.

And don't cry to me that it's supposed to be deliberately retro. I don't see fucking anybody dressed up like Buck Rodgers or using a laser pistol that looks like a condiment bottle with fins and pinstripes on it. If they wanted to make it retro, they shouldn't have made it gothic as a motherfucker. It looks more like Warhammer 40k meets the new Star Trek movies. Freaking Mass Effect was more retro than this looks. Goth modern punk-punk isn't classic by any stretch of the imagination, and thank God for that.

You forget; the Wachowskis made The Matrix, but they also made The Matrix Revolutions. They aren't a golden goose. The things they come up with can be utter shit that makes no goddamn sense, and it usually is if they're allowed to percolate in their own creative juices for too long.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2013
  9. Celestin

While evolution in itself is not progressive, it is plausible that it's "taking people towards some kind of glowing floating humanoid singularity of superiority and divine sovereignty" if that's what we need to survive our future. ;)

Anyway, this movie is more science fantasy (Star Wars) than science fiction (Star Trek) and because of that I only expect it to make sense within its own rules.

10. Lord Raine

Lord Raine Disappeared DLP Supporter

No. It isn't. And no. It isn't.

11. ray243

ray243 Seventh Year

12. Celestin

13. Tapi

Tapi Third Year

Last edited: Dec 10, 2013
  14. Quick Ben

Quick Ben In ur docs, stealin ur werds.

15. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    The Godzilla roar was rather underwhelming, imo.

16. Riley

Riley Alchemist DLP Supporter

...Computer speakers/drivers, tralier, not finished yet all lead me to believe that it'll be amazeballs in theater.

17. Tapi

Tapi Third Year

18. Infidel

Infidel Auror

So, I was watching the trailer for Jupiter Ascending and all I could think of was that the armor looks very much like the Forerunner armor designs in Halo4.

19. Klackerz

Klackerz Bridgeburner

20. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score: