1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Upcoming Movies in 2015

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by Ash, May 25, 2014.

1. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I mean, I've always liked Jurassic Park, but surely there are more conventional ways of making things go wrong besides "Lets genetically modify and create new dinosaurs".

2. Hero of Stupidity

Hero of Stupidity Villain of Sensibility ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    They need to prove that velociraptors CAN open doors by the door handle.

On an unrelated note: How is Big Hero 6?

3. Halt

Halt 1/3 of the Note Bros. Moderator

Big Hero Six - You’ll end up laughing the first half and sad the second half. The marshmallow robot thing is adorable to watch. Plot wise, it had a few surprises that I honestly didn’t see coming. I definiely recommend it.

4. Gengar

Gengar Degenerate Shrimp –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    In defence of Jurassic World, all signs seem to point to the park being operational and fine for years.

Odds are a competitor, or someone else generally interested in its failure causes the disaster.

I'm not gonna lie though, the second I hear that theme in the cinema I'm going to be blubbering like a kid. JP was the first movie I ever saw at a cinema.

Ash
  5. Jibril

Jibril Headmaster

Its the same for me. First movie ever and I still have a soft spot for it. It probably going to be mediocre with plot holes the size of continent but who cares? It's fucking Jurassic Park.

6. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Three problems with Jurassic World:

1. Stilted, unnatural, over the top dialogue that sounds like it was written by George Lucas.

2. CGI Dinosaurs rather than animatronic models. Jurassic Park still looks great after all these years. Why? They used models, not computer graphics which date very quickly. You'd think Spielberg of all people would recognise that. But while the rest of the industry is pulling back from green screen (see Star Wars 7), Spielberg rushes towards it.

3. Exactly the same plot as Jurassic Park: "scientists meddle too much and bad things happen". Not only is it dull for having been done before, I think as a message it's out of sync with today's world. What we need now is the opposite: ignoring scientists in the search for profit leads to bad things happening. That would have been a great contemporary theme which lines up well with out of touch Congress denying climate change.

7. Gengar

Gengar Degenerate Shrimp –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I've always wanted a Jurassic film that's basically a natural disaster film. The first one plays out more like a survival horror.

I seem to also be one of the few that prefers CGI over animatronic. The movements just seem so unnatural.

Ash
  8. Quiddity

Quiddity Squib ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I watched the first half of that thinking it was an origin story for Narnia for some reason :lol:

9. Red Aviary

Red Aviary Hogdorinclawpuff ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I watched it a few days ago. It's pretty good, but could've been better I think. Basically, think The Avengers meets Iron Giant while not being quite as good as either of them, but still good enough in its own right.

10. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    This is legit, right?

11. Heather_Sinclair

Heather_Sinclair Chief Warlock

Very much so. People got pissed that only 30 some odd theaters across the country got to show the teaser, so JJA released it to itunes.

One question: what's with the blowtorch-like lightsaber? FX have obviously changed. Dunno yet if I like that one though.

12. Skeletaure

High Score:
    Well, it's possible that it's a kind of "home made" job and isn't as refined as a proper lightsaber. Or maybe they just wanted to go for something that looked a bit more raw and dangerous.

Crossguard is silly, but a small annoyance.

I like that we're seeing some remnants of the Empire around. It makes sense that all that stuff didn't just disappear the moment the Emperor died.

I'm cautiously optimistic right now. Most of my caution stems from two things:

1. Worry about how much of a role the old cast will have. It'll be hard to get a new story off the ground if it's weighed down with original trilogy fanservice.

2. Worry about conflict. As everyone who's tried to write a post-Hogwarts fic knows, it's hard to come up with conflict after a Big Bad has been defeated. Either you create a new Big Bad, which dilutes the Big Badness of the original; or you bring back the original Big Bad, which just retreads the same stuff all over again; or you try to do conflict on a smaller scale and of a different type, which can feel trivial compared to the problems that have been overcome in the past.

13. Republic

High Score:
    4495+2362
    Eh. The EU is full of conflict, the trilogy cast several years down the line, and the Imperial Remnant in various combinations. Not sure if they're going for an EU adaptation or original script, but either way they're using concepts that we know exist. We'll be fine.

14. Skeletaure

High Score:
    To be fair, I think the EU is full of shit. It has exactly the problems I identified above. The plotline involving the return of the Emperor cheapens the ending of Return of the Jedi; the new Big Bad Yuuzhan Vong makes all of the events of the previous works trivial as it turns out there's a Bigger Big Bad out there.

15. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I feel like Star Wars is, in a way, immune to this. The big bad (aka the dark side / Sith) isn't a really embodied by a single person, and thus it can't really be 'defeated'.

I think it would be pretty easy to top the Emperor as Sith Lords go. Creating a conflict on the same scale as empire vs rebellion is another matter though.

16. Republic

High Score:
    4495+2362
    Wasn't it span at some point that supposedly the Empire was supposed to battle the Vong before the silly Rebels had their temper tantrum?

Yeah, I never got into the EU much.

Still, galactic-wide conflict is necessary for conflict(hence, interesting things) in such a world as the SW one. That's why the galaxy is always at war, no matter what date in the timeline we pick.

17. Skeletaure

High Score:
    So, plot predictions?

I think the key phrase here is "... the dark side... and the light."

The galaxy has seen a significant increase in the number of people who can use the Force (the titular awakening), leading to chaos as untrained Force users, light and dark, run amok.

This is set to the background of continuing factional warfare as the Rebel Alliance and the divided remnants of the Empire seek to fill the power vacuum following the Emperor's death several decades ago.

The twist will come when we find out why there was this awakening: it's a kind of self-defence mechanism. The Force itself is under some kind of threat and the light and dark sides must come together to fight it.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2014
  18. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I don't think they actually claimed that Palpatine was planning to fight the Vong, more that he'd have done a better job of it than the New Republic (not hard, to be fair). Of course, IIRC that assertion was followed less than a paragraph later by Han pointing out that any of Palpatine's schemes would likely involve an inherently flawed superweapon, so make of the whole thing what you will.

But yeah. Conflict shouldn't be an issue. Between remnants of the Empire and Sith, they're more or less sorted.

19. Riley

Riley Alchemist DLP Supporter

Honestly, with the title being what it is, I'm thinking a rehash of the Jedi Civil war is coming in some manner. Multiple dark and light side users fighting it out. At least, that's my hope.

20. Republic

High Score:
    4495+2362
    It does sound pretty cool. At least visually.

Taure, I think they won't deviate from the New Republic's formation.