1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Upcoming Movies in 2017

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by Celestin, Apr 14, 2016.

1. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    One thing that can be said for Wonder Woman is it'll probably be better than Suicide Squad. Because you would have to work really hard to fuck up worse than that film. Not really looking forward to Wonder Woman.

2. Peter North

Peter North Dark Lord

You can say one thing about Wonder Woman the ladies are sure to be hot. :D

3. Chengar Qordath

Chengar Qordath The Final Pony ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Well, I did hear the theory that Steve Trevor will initially hate and distrust Wonder Woman and even attempt to kill her, only to relent when he realizes that his mother was named Hippolyta too...

But yeah, if nothing else the Wonder Woman movie shouldn't suffer from being hacked to pieces and reassembled by a company that makes movie trailers trying to imitate the style of another trailer-making company in a desperate effort to make their film look more like Guardians of the Galaxy.

4. ScottPress

High Score:
    That was hardly the biggest problem with SS. The biggest problem was that they coughed up the script in 6 weeks. Second biggest was their choice of villain.

5. Assassin4life

Assassin4life Squib

High Score:
    This. But given that they only had six weeks I think they did an adequate job. It was nowhere near amazing but it also wasn't absolute shit imo. What saved the movie for me was Harley, Dead shot, and Captain Boomerang. They had really good chemistry and I enjoyed their characters.

What I'm really looking forward to is the Affleck Batman movie. His batman performance has been my favorite so far and they've revealed Deathstroke as the main villain. Sign me the fuck up.

6. Chengar Qordath

Chengar Qordath The Final Pony ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I think there's enough problems with the movie to go around. Granted, unless we ever see the original 3 1/2 hour cut the director came up with, it's hard to say for sure whether the editing was a desperate attempt to salvage an utter mess or caused a lot more problems than it fixed.

7. Agent

Agent High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Didn't work for Batman V Superman.

A Monster Calls
    I saw the trailer and thought this would be a fun little heart warming movie to watch. I am so happy that I didn't take my younger siblings to this as they wouldn't have enjoyed the movie. I however did.

This movie is literally for anyone but kids. But it's probably specifically targeted at teenagers. It's similar to Kubo in that the trailers mislead you into thinking its more suitable for kids.

It's kind of a coming of age story and is extremely relateable to most people. I especially liked the concept of the monster and the deeper implications of it and I know my psychology student friends loved talking about it in our WhatsApp group chat.

If you have to see one movie right now, make it this one.

Easiy 8/10.

Assassin's Creed
    The first trialer was bad. The rest were pretty damn promising. At first, I was upset that it wouldn't be a direct translation of the games but then I though "Meh". But the other trailers really did hype me up. Despite the history of Video Game movies I went in there with extremely high hopes.

It felt like I'd been punched in the gut. Shit, Warcraft was good compared to this. I thought Subtitles were bad in Suicide Squad but this movie clearly has something to prove. Was it that much of an issue to just have some mumbo jumbo sci-fi explanationfor why they spoke English?

I so badly wanted to take my phone out and just start reading Fanfiction. Unfortuantely, playing on your phone is liable to get you kicked out of the screen and since I work there I'd rather not be in that situation.

Charater Development was one of the main issues with this: I can't even remember anyone's name off the top of my head. You didn't know a single personal thing about any of the characters. None of them were fun to watch. The male assassin in the past was the most boring of the lot of them. Altair had a stoic, powerful presence to himself. This guy is just bland. The female assassin fromt he past was probably my favourite character. She had the most life out of all of them.

3/10 and I think I'm actually being generous here.

Monster Trucks
    I know this hasn't come out for you Yanks yet but we here in the UK have been subjected to it for a couple weeks. I knew it wasn't going to be a big hit but at the very least I thought it would be enjoyable like Office Christmas Party was.

This movie actually gave Assassin's Creed a run for it's money in how bad it was.

It was acted terrible, the plot was terrible, the characters were terrible, basically everything was terrible.

The protagonist, called Tripp which is possible the cheesiest name ever, has good character devlopment so I can't complain about that. Unfortunately, the relationship he builds with the monster happens, quite literally, overnight. Movies seem to be afraid of doing time skips or flash forwards for some reason and I can't for the life of me figure out why.

In all fairness, this movie is quite clearly meant to break in the newcomers. The veteran actors try to work with what they have but great acting can't fix a movie with terrible acting.

Kids may enjoy it but even teenagers will probably hate it. I'm thinking anyone under 10.

Honestly, this is the kind of movie that I would have expected to be Direct to DVD.

To all of you Americans. Don't waste your money or your time on this. 3/10

8. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Just got back from Silence, which is...interesting. It's flawed, for certain, but there's a lot to admire about it. I felt it could usefully have been trimmed down by a half hour or so - it's just over two and a half hours long, with at least an hour of that time devoted to some fairly repetitive, languorous moral, spiritual and political debates - but it is somewhat thought provoking. If nothing else, it''s the most sumptuously photographed film since The Revenant.

9. Erandil

Erandil Minister of Magic

So I watched The Great Wall and it actually turned out to be a solid action movie in my opinion that was well worth the money I spent on it. The plot and characters might be nothing to write home about but they do their job (as opposed to for example Assassins Creed) and the action scenes and general cinematography are very well executed

I was also pleasantly surprised by how they handled the "romance", their low-key approach, especially in regards to the ending, was a welcome change to the stereotypical "happy ending/kiss scene"

If future cooperations with China are of similar quality then I for one welcome them.

10. Gengar

Gengar Degenerate Shrimp –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    How can it be decent? Matt Damon isn't Chinese.

11. Snapdragon

Snapdragon Banned

The released extended version surely didn't make that mess any better. I can't find anything redeemable in that movie besides the introductions of the characters.

Just looking at David Ayer's past work makes you wonder about the extreme range of up and downs(Training Day, End of Watch...U-571...Fast and Furious..SWAT...Fury, Sabotage, Fury and Suicide Squad).

12. Shinysavage

High Score:
    Just got back from 'A Monster Calls', which has honestly left me an emotional wreck. I haven't cried at a film so much since Toy Story 3, and whereas that could be described as manly tears, by the last fifteen minutes of AMC I was flat out sobbing. Absolutely wonderful film, full of great performances and stunning art work (the Monster, obviously, but more than that the stories it tells). It's like an extended version of the Tale of the Three Brothers sequence in Deathly Hallows, but filtered through Pan's Labyrinth.

13. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

New trailer for the Power Rangers movie!

HYPE!

[yt]QVrmivd7Bus[/yt]

14. Peter North

Peter North Dark Lord

I think I'm going to wait for this movie to come out on DVD.

15. ScottPress

High Score:
    Call me a cynic, but MMPR doesn't seem like a property well suited to a feature film adaptation, especially in the Nolan era of gritty grittiness. Hollywood doesn't know how to handle camp. They even made something as ridiculous as TMNT gritty.

The trailer made me less interested in the movie, if anything.

16. Hashasheen

Hashasheen Half-Blood Prince

You know the idea for it came from a 4 year old? It's like they saw Axe Cop and went "Yeah, sure."

17. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

Wow I'm like exactly the opposite. I have almost zero interest in campy things which is why I find this take of Power Rangers pretty cool.

18. Shinysavage

High Score:
    Looks like one that I might check out if I'm bored, but equally might forget about all together - it'll depend on reviews, but it doesn't look particularly special.

19. DerHesse

DerHesse Unspeakable

It's going to flop hard.

The original target audience of the show is to old/jaded to find this make-over "cool" (Kanye West became a warning sign) and kids, who didn't saw the show won't care about the franchise, the bland characters or the mediocre SFX and wirework.

20. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    I found the trailer interesting. Probably won't go to watch it, but wouldn't be against being persuaded by friends, etc. Looks pretty cool.

I was a bit disappointed that we only heard the original theme for a second at the end. They could've used more of it.