1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Upcoming Movies in 2017

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by Celestin, Apr 14, 2016.

1. Red Aviary

Red Aviary Hogdorinclawpuff ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Not really what I had in mind for a Power Rangers revision, unfortunately. But I'll probably watch it after it comes out on home media or something.

2. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    The Zords still looked like shit in that new trailer. They'd had months to improve that since the teaser.

Also, trailer featured about the lamest joke ever.

"I'm blue!"

"I'm black."

Black guy wtf. "No you're not."

"Hehe..."

Yeah, we can't make the black guy literally the black guy and the asian the yellow girl because racism. I'm not saying they should have done it, but the presence of that joke tells me it's a point they considered, a point that shouldn't even be in the realm of things to consider when dealing with freaking Power Rangers.

If I see this movie on DVD or something and JDF doesn't have a cameo, that'll be the final insult.

3. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    I chuckled at that joke.

/shrug

4. ScottPress

High Score:
    It was a stupid little joke. I laugh at stupid jokes. I didn't take issue with the funniness of the joke, but what the presence of the joke implies.

And really, do we need another feature film adaptation of something? Tangentially related, I respect the hell out of Chris Nolan for not making a sequel to Inception.

5. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

The hero worship of JDF on the internet is actually pretty creepy tbh.

6. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    Yes it was. And they're teenagers. Stupid by definition. The joke was mildly funny and it worked with the setting.

Really, if you want to find faults with something, you always will. But what's the point of that? There're other, better things to get worked up over.

7. ScottPress

High Score:
    I haven't seen any, but I'd probably agree.

8. Andrela

I mean, he's a good actor and obviously well-versed in martial arts. And was a large part of the show, nobody is denying that.

But sometimes people take it way, way too far.

9. Hashasheen

Hashasheen Half-Blood Prince

In fairness, he's both the most memorable character and the most appreciative of what the franchise is, for good or bad.

10. ScottPress

High Score:
    Getting him in the film would be good marketing, if nothing else. "The original Green Ranger is in this movie, maybe it's good."

11. Sorrows

Sorrows Queen of the Flamingos Moderator

While I had some hopes when I saw the original trailer this one leaves me cold. Smells a bit too much like Transformers by way of every tween sci-fi disappointment over the last ten years. I'd be happy to be wrong, but these characters look about as compelling as a damp dishcloth.

12. Chengar Qordath

Chengar Qordath The Final Pony ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Yeah, it's a stupid but harmless joke, with a bit of a mythology gag element to it on account of the infamous screw-up in the original MMPR where they made the black guy the Black Ranger. It got a little chuckle out of me.

Yeah, unfortunately that's about where I am at the moment. This trailer does not make me hyped for the movie: rather the opposite, actually. The only thing they could've done to make me warier of the film would be to include "Directed by Michael Bay" somewhere in it. That said, I'll hold out hope for it just being a badly made trailer because I would be happy if it turned out to be an awesome movie.

13. Andrela

14. IAmJustAnotherGuy

IAmJustAnotherGuy Seventh Year

Split​

I just got back from seeing the newest film by M. Night Shyamalan. It is definitely one of the best movies I've seen in a while and the best by M. Night since Signs (although I did like The Village). McAvoy's performance was outstanding and the leading girl (I've seen her on a couple of movies but can't recall her name) really impressed me since her co stars felt wooden at times. The movie cam get a bit over the top in the last act (I didn't mind it) but it really comes into perspective by the time the credits roll.

9/10

15. Legend3381

Legend3381 Seventh Year

High Score:
    Early Logan reviews are out. They all say it was the best XMEN movie but really say. Also saw John Wick 2, it was pretty good, there is going to be a 3

16. silentclock

silentclock Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

I saw Split a bit ago. I really did enjoy it. Anya Taylor-Joy (from the Witch) is quite good. It's easily better than the majority of the dreck Shyamalan put out post-Signs--Lady in the Water, the Happening, etc. That said, I didn't like it quite as much as the Visit, which is easily my favorite of his films since Sixth Sense.

Has anyone seen Cure for Wellness yet? I'm planning on seeing it tonight.

17. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Colossal.

Anne Hathaway plays Gloria, currently going through a bit of a rough patch. After a hard night's drinking, she wakes up to news reports of a kaiju-like monster rampaging through Seoul...that seems to mimic her every move.

Sounds stupid, but I'm actually really intrigued. Looks very promising.

18. Agent

Agent High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Alright, get ready for ten whole reviews.

LION
    Damned if this movie wasn't emotional as hell, especially the ending. One of my coworkers (We work in a cinema), commented that if you didn't tearup even slightly at the ending then you aren't human. Well, while I was pretty much dry eyed I can see where she was coming from.

I honestly think it's one of, if not the best movie of 2017 so far. The only downsides really was the enormous amount of subtitles which was enough to put Suicide Squad to shame. It's understandable of course since the first half of the movie takes place in India/Calcutta and they speak a different language. The romance between Dev Patel and Rooney Mara was a bit awkward at times but more or less bearable.

The acting though was amazing, especially Sunny Pawar (Young Saroo) and Nicole Kidman (Adoted mother of Saroo) who I didn't even recognise.

Overall, an easy 9/10.

Hacksaw Ridge
    Another great movie that came out around the same time as Lion. Unfortunately, my branch is no longer showing this becuase of just how many new releases there have been.

I'm not really a big fan of War Movies or the Gritty/Noir style of movies so I was a bit worried but I actually loved this one.

Acting was great from everyone though it could be argued that there wasn't enough focus on anyone other than Andrew Garfield.

THe first third or so of the movie is dedicated to the romance between Teresa Palmer and Andrew Garfield was a bit awkward/mushy to sit through at times but that was probably was just me.

But when they're actully on Hacksaw Ridge? Damn if that wasn't massive shift in tone from the romance earlier in the movie. WOrds cannot describe it and I recommend you all watch it.

Another 9/10. Maybe 8/10 if you really can't stand the romance but it's easy enough to ignore.

Jackie
    It might be cause I'm British and not American and so therefore can't relate as well as some but this movie didn't really strike me as all that. We stopped showing it like less than a few weeks after it came out.

There was also the matter of the aspect ratio. Apparently, the filmamkers filmed it in a 1.33:1 and 1.66:1 as opposed to the standard 2.35:1. This made the screen look more square than rectangular which I get was an artistic design choice to illustrate the time period of the movie. But still, the amount of people that came out to complain and think that we were the ones that were at fault was ridiculous.

Some people laud the acting in the movie but I myself don't really see it. It seems like Natalie Portman was enunciating every single word and it was extremely annoying.

Also, the scenes with Jackie and the reporter seem to shift between outside at the patio to inside the house back and forth. It's as if they decided to go inside, felt it was too warm, went back outside, then went iside again.

I would have liked the relationship between JFK and his wife to be illustrated at least slighlty more but maybe that's just me.

Overall, 3/10.

RINGS
    Mediocre at best. Usually I'm a big sissy when it comes to horror movies but I wasn't even scared of it. In fact, I would make the argument that it's more of a mysetery movie than a horror movie. It's nice in that it connects to the other two movies and kind of ties everything together.

Unfortunately, it falls short on practically every other aspect including acting, effects and story. Although, Johnny Galecki's performance was quite good though that could be because he basically played Leonard from the Big Bang Theory.

SPLIT
    Another movie that basically everyone except me liked. And while I admit that the acting from Jacke McAvoy was great and amazing, I didn't really like the rest of the movie.

First of all, you should know that the movie is actually a sequel to the 2000 movie Unbreakable. It's not neccessary to watch the first one and they make the tiniest of references to it at the very end but they are planning a third one where both protagonists face off against each other.

What really annoyed me about the movie was the stupidity of the kidnap victims. Anya Taylor-Joy is depicted as the street smart girl but even her stupidity shines at times. The amount of ways/times they could have escaped is mind boggling.

Heck, the supidity of everyone except the bad guy is tremendous as well. The guy on the radio, the psychiatrist, the girls and event he two cops that we saw for like five seconds.

They advertise the fact that McAvoy has 23 different personalities but that's more than a little misleading since you only see like four or five of the perosnalities for more than five seconds. Still McAvoy's actign was great and I could always tell which personality he was portraying.

4/10 and that's me being generous.

Hidden Figures
    Not really much to say about this one. It was a great movie and acting was superb. Although, Jim Parson's, like Johnny Galecki, basically just played Sheldon from The Big Bang Theory.

Henson, Spencer and Morae had great performances and should be applauded. I would have liked to have seen slightly more from SPencer but I'm really nitpicking at this point.

The only issue I have with the movie is that it ended rather abruptly but again, just nitpicking really.

9/10.

The Great Wall
    This had the potential to be great. Unfortunately, it ended being quite bad despite the efforts of Damon and Dafoe though I felt that the latter was wasted quite a bit. Depsite what most people thought, I quite liked Jing Tian's performance then again I might be quite biased because holy crap is she hot! Like seriously, dressed in that blue armour, I wouldn't be surprised if they made money from her posters alone than the movie itself.

But back to the movie. Stand Alone Supernatural movies have rarely ever done well at the box office and I'm not surprised by the reception this is receiving.

Some parts, I'm not goingto lie, are enjoyable to watch and it manages to trick you into thinkig the movie is actually going to get better. Like, one scene they're talking about the location of the monsters' home and I actually thought there was going to be some sick infiltration mission where they sneak in and wreck havoc but nope. Just more mindless action.

5/10.

Lego Batman
    It's a sad world when a lego Batman movie is better than a Batman v Superman movie.

This movie is a non stop train of laughs and chuckles. If not that then at the very least you'll give a smirk here or there. There's no references to the first Lego Movie so it's not an issue if you haven't watched it.

The amount of references they make to everything else though is pretty awesome. There's even a marvel reference here and there.

It is a bit over the top at times but that's the whole point of the movie so I suppose I can't complain too much.

One thing I noticed though is that Lego Batman's personality is extremely similar to Batman from HISHE (How It Should Have Ended). Isthere a basis for this Batman in comics or is Lego Batman inspired from HISHE Batman?

But anyway, if you can, I would recommend watching the movie in 4DX. Easily one of the best movies I've expeirenced in 4DX.

9/10.

John Wick: Chapter 2
    First of all, let me start off by saying that while I did love the first one, I felt that it really didn't have much of a story.

This one completely blows the first one out of the water. The world building is pretty amazing, especially for only two movies. Despite that though, there is still plenty of action and room for the world building to grow.

4DX for this wasn't as good as Lego Batman but still worth giving a go.

Like the man himself, not really much to say about the movie.

9/10.

Sing
    I maintain that the only reason that is considered a kids movie is because it's animated. Get rid of the the animation and you'd have to focus on the fact that deal with some pretty big issues such as crime, family problems, afairs and expectations.

Like seriosuly, the kids will enjoy this movie but the adults will be able to take something away from it as well. The singing isn't half bad either.

7/10. Maybe 8/10 depending on what you think about the singing.

19. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Prestigious Tomato ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Just got back from Wick 2. It was everything I hoped for and expected, but more. They did a fantastic job of expanding the world without spelling everything out. The ending leaves no doubt as to another sequel; I only hope we don't have to wait another three years.

One nitpick I had was that I kept seeing ways Wick's enemies could have killed him without trying to outgun the guy who was going through heavily armed foes like they were chaff.

20. Snapdragon

Snapdragon Banned

Wick2 has great pacing with the calmer parts adding a depth to the movie I hadn't expected after the first movie. I can't recall to have been bored for a second which I can't say about Matrix.

Quite funny how they managed to design a whole movie around Keanu's limited acting capabilities and can't wait for Chapter III.