1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Upcoming Movies in 2017

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by Celestin, Apr 14, 2016.

1. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    Movie looks like it's going to be proper cool and everything, but can I just say that my favorite part was the auto-fitting suit? Such a simple idea, why have I not seen it before lol.

2. Gengar

Gengar Degenerate Shrimp –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Looks cool, and Marissa Tomei is still hot af, but was kind of annoyed by the boat scene. I think for obvious reasons.

3. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    New trailer for Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets, which looks pretty spectacular.

4. Newcomb

Newcomb Minister of Magic

Preferred the first trailer, tbh. Knowing exactly zero about the source material, I was drawn in by some spark of an interesting relationship dynamic between the two leads in the first trailer, whereas this one painted the whole movie as much more by-the-numbers epic sci-fi.

Still, I'll probably watch it. It looks like it has character, and I'm automatically interested in anything Luc Besson does.

5. DerHesse

DerHesse Unspeakable

6. Heather_Sinclair

Heather_Sinclair Chief Warlock

IT was the first novel I read that truly scared the crap out of me (lights completely on and TV in the background at all times type of reading).

A handful of fears in my youth were up front and prominent in the plot. I was like "Holy shit I was scared of walking down the stairs, to a dark basement, and having some freaky monster grab my ankle, through the stairs too! Why did have to be the stairs!!!"

It only got worse from there. The TV show bored me. Loved the book. Probably wouldn't be near as scary these days. I'll have to pick it up again.

7. Red Aviary

Red Aviary Hogdorinclawpuff ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I liked Man of Steel and Batman v Superman more or less (the Ultimate Edition, at least, I never saw the theatrical version), so I think I'll probably like Justice League. Though if the past is any indicator I might as well wait for the revamped version when it releases on home media.

I enjoyed reading IT back in high school, and that trailer looks pretty neat, so I'll keep an eye on it.

8. joshuafaramir

joshuafaramir Banned

Hey, isn't IT the one with the child sex orgy at the very end? I wonder how the director is gonna portray that scene without the actual sex happening.

Anyway, haven't watched a horror film in a long time.

9. Heather_Sinclair

Heather_Sinclair Chief Warlock

The director said that he's going to include a lot of the horror and gore that was in the book and specifically said that he wasn't including the orgy.

10. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Just got back from 'Get Out', which I thoroughly enjoyed. Clever, funny, and suitably unsettling.

Red
  11. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Prestigious Tomato ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Lego Batman was tops. Some characters from other IP's in there that had me busting a gut. Definitely recommend.

12. Garden

Garden Supreme Mugwump

It looks great. Ghost in the Shell looks pretty bad. Just when we've got lots of popular movies and shows that take AI and robots seriously, like Westworld, they decide to go with a vengeance theme? Such a loss of potential.

13. Peter North

Peter North Dark Lord

I just got back from Ghost in the Shell and loved it. I thought it definitely stayed close to the original anime movie and all the actors did well with their characters.

Even the fact that the writers had to build up a bit more of the story so people who didn't see the anime could understand didn't detract from the movie.

My only regret is that I didn't watch it in Imax.

14. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

GitS tanked in the US with 20m+ opening compared to predicted 30m+. If it had better reviews, it could at least stay strong in later weeks, but it's not the case.

It probably will do a little better in other countries and will not actually lose money for its producers.

xXx: The Return of Xander Cage did make just 45m in the US, but 300m worldwide.

Still, since DN is on Netfilx and there will be no number of audience to check how popular it is, it needs to have really amazing reviews. Otherwise it's going take some time before someone risks another anime adaptation.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2017
  15. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    You can't really say a movie has 'tanked' after one day in theaters and before opening weekend is over.

16. oakes

oakes Unspeakable DLP Supporter

Technically it wasnt that bad but can't say I really cared for the setting

17. Chengar Qordath

Chengar Qordath The Final Pony ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Yeah, saying a movie bombed before the opening weekend is over is definitely jumping the gun.

Though the fact that reviews are overall pretty weak isn't a good sign for the film's prospects, By all accounts the changes they made to the plot are likely to offend a lot of purists, while weak reviews won't encourage people unfamiliar with the franchise to jump on.

18. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

You can. While there are always few exceptions and surprises, you have enough information on Saturday to predict its opening weekend with 95% accuracy (20-25m for GitS) and based on its general opinion guess its final box office (between 50-70m).

Last edited: Apr 1, 2017
  19. Krieger

Krieger Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

It's pretty common for a movie to tank in the US but make bank elsewhere. Look at Transformers: Age of Extinction. Universally shit reveiws but still grossed over $1 billion worldwide.

Considering Ghost in the Shell only has a production budget of $110 million, it would be pretty hard for it not to make bank and be a success given time.

20. joshuafaramir

joshuafaramir Banned

Man, GitS was garbage as well as Power Rangers. I hope Get Out is actually as good as its reviews say it is coz I'm not to keen about the Comedy + Horror genre.

What about Life? Any thoughts on that movie? I'm a sucker for sci-fi stuff.