1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Upcoming Movies in 2019

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by ScottPress, Sep 29, 2018.

1. Nevermind

Nevermind Headmaster

High Score:
    While I can agree on the first claim (though technology and consumer/popular culture have moved so quickly in recent times that one might make the argument that television has already overtaken films on that front), I‘d say that just like with more “classic” art forms, creators can feel free to go about their business in whichever way they want.

Some might be in it purely for their passion for and admiration of the craft, some might genuinely share your argument and do their best to fulfil it through their work. I can enjoy that. Others blatantly cater to the cravings of of the masses, and that‘s also okay – sometimes I just like to be entertained. Hence why Tower Heist and Johnny English Returns are among my all-time favourite movies.

I don‘t think one necessarily has to be to the detriment of the other. There‘s (just) enough real estate to go around.

2. Rehio

Rehio Bad Dragon ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Don't think everyone needs to come in and harp on a guy for trying to discuss something.

I'm not for horror movies, generally. I saw Urban Legend when I was a kid, far too young to understand what was going on, and that thing freaked me right the hell out. Never really got around to enjoying them. However, I love King's stuff and I enjoyed the book a lot, so I'm all for seeing this. Trying to find all the Turtle references in the first film was fun, and I'm hoping they sneak some more in.

3. Arthellion

Arthellion Lord of the Banned ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    For what its worth...I consider anything with Rowan Atkinson to be inspirational.

And yeah, I'd never take the step to say that artists/moviemakers should be forced to make certain things. There should never be a legal requirement. Never should be a "you must do this" mentality. Freedom has the higher ethical priority here.

My personal stance though is that its not beneficial for society to watch movies which cater to the negative sides of our personalities and cultivate an appetite for our baser pleasures. And I also recognize people's standards of what that is can differ.

4. Hymnsicality

Hymnsicality Seventh Year

I don’t agree with arthellion personally, my personal view is that horror and humour serve similar purposes of mapping out the unfamiliar parts of ones mind just from opposite angles. Also judging the entirety of the horror genre by terrible shock schlock is blatantly unfair, akin to judging all of Humor by, say, the disaster movie or Paul Blart Mall Cop 2.

There is a craft in horror the same way there is in all art. Tension building and payoff, emotional visceral or otherwise are exceedingly difficult to manufacture. The haunting of hill house is an exceptional horror series akin to placing the Wes Anderson’s tenenbaums into a taut, interesting ghost horror. The VVitch is a movie that’s a triumph of form, horror or otherwise. It part 1 was shot beautifully, but the scares left zero impression on me afterwards so I’m fairly indifferent about part 2.

Does art need a purpose? It’s probably a topic for a different thread.

5. Agayek

Agayek Dimensional Trunk DLP Supporter

To throw my 2c in, I can't stand horror movies, but that's simply because I straight up can't quite grok what's so enjoyable about being scared. It's unpleasant and the exact opposite of a good time, so it always turns me off.

6. Kevizoid

Kevizoid Seventh Year

Do some good. Ban Arthellion.

He definitely had to have been voted most likely to join the fun police in high school.

7. Trooper

Trooper Death Eater

Came back from Det. Pikachu.
    Oh hell yeah. Completely enjoyed it. Is it 2D everywhere or did they just ban 3D in India alone?

Also. #PsyduckForever

Also, Hardcore fans of Pokemon might want to keep their old game sets ready to re-play when they get back from the movie. The Urge will be incredibly strong.

8. Gengar

Gengar Degenerate Shrimp –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Really, really enjoyed Detective Pikachu. It inspired the child within way more than the games can ever hope to anymore.

There were obviously some issues. It's very predictable, but the biggest issue was the movie's insinuation that Flareon is the best Eevee evolution.

0/10

#UmbreonMasterrace

9. Heleor

Heleor EsperJones DLP Supporter

Pokemon was great, for a video game movie. It surprisingly didn't feel like a kid's film - they knew their audience was nostalgic adults.

I felt the Torterra action scene went on a bit too long for my tastes, and that was typical "rocks/trees falling" type action that could have been in any movie. All the Pokemon seemed pretty good and I loved all of the nods they threw in.

The ditto action scene was very well done.

I'm really hoping it's a box office success as I'd love to see them take more risks like this.

Additionally: The audience laughed hysterically at the Sonic trailer beforehand. You could tell who knew what was coming and who was introduced to that masterpiece in the theater. Some of the jokes that fell completely flat actually did work for the audience, too.

10. Gengar

High Score:
    One thing I didn't like, and always don't like, is the casual treatment of Legendaries.

The obvious one aside, I'm referring to Regis walking the streets and Articuno being advertised battling in an arena match.

They should get the Torterra treatment, a la an Articuno blizzard being a terrifying force of nature that can kill anyone caught in there etc.

11. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Thoroughly enjoyed Detective Pikachu, despite having very little knowledge of Pokemon beyond the basic premise. Plot was a little obvious, but it's kid/family noir, so fair enough - but it was funny, had some cool set pieces, and kinda charming.

12. Gengar

High Score:
    Oh I also didn't appreciate Gengar being made to look like purple Slimer. It was a little lame looking, and everyone knows Gengar is the biggest BAMF in Pokemon.

13. Chengar Qordath

Chengar Qordath The Final Pony ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Will throw in another vote for Detective Pikachu being a very fun time. Though I would advise picking a showing without quite as many unruly kids as I had to deal with. Oh well, hazard of going to a movie with kid appeal.

14. Joe

Joe The Reminiscent Exile ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter ⭐⭐⭐

High Score:
    For this reason, I'll likely wait for the Blu-Ray release. I'm sure I'll enjoy it, but all the more so for watching it chillaxing at home.

Have we discussed the IT: Chapter Two trailer yet? That's got me hard.

I just scrolled back a page - yeah, it's been posted. Still, I think they're nailing it.

15. Gengar

High Score:
    No way it's as good as the direct to TV version XD

16. Rehio

Rehio Bad Dragon ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I like Endgame. I thought it was a good movie that deserved the amount of praise and money it got. They put in the effort as a franchise and they created a good story.

But I don't think any movie has every given me the sheer amount of joy, happiness, and just warm feelings that Detective Pikachu did. I would say "I felt like a kid again," but that's not true. I was just truly having unabashed fun while watching it.

17. Hush

Hush Seventh Year

High Score:
    Watching Detective Pikachu I realised I was having more fun than the kids it was arguably made for. By which I mean the other adults in the cinema, as well as their children. So much fun. If you have a passing familiarity with pokemon and like Ryan Reynolds stop reading this and go watch it.

18. Trooper

Trooper Death Eater

Just came back from John Wick 3. Holy shiet lol. People who like mindless action (like me), this is going to feel like a 2 hour long climax of a normal action movie. As in, shit don't stop.

There's some interesting plot twists as well, but well... who's watching that?

Just go see it if you're a fan of well done action.

Obviously not for the squeamish nor for people who dislike gore/violence.

On that note, the censor board in India are fucking twats. I mean, the movie is 'A' rated. It clearly states that there's heavy violence involved... what's the point of cutting 3-4 scenes from the movie. Idiots.

19. Thaumologist

Thaumologist Fifth Year ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Have to agree, just got back from it.

Great fun, and a decent addition to the series. The fight scenes didn't feel quite as slick as they did in the first film, and John seems to be getting worse and worse of a shot over this hellish month, but if you liked the first two, you'll like this.

Also, "I get it" went down perfectly.

That said, it felt like their sound department bought a glass breaking button board and wanted to abuse it. It was actually annoying how over-used the smashing glass sound was.

20. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Thirded, thoroughly enjoyable. It's the first one I've seen on the big screen, and it definitely benefitted. Just the right kind of ridiculous, although they're pushing it with what they have him walk away from now. Or limp away from, anyway.