1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Upcoming Movies in 2020

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by Celestin, Jul 7, 2019.

1. Arthellion

Arthellion Lord of the Banned ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    This looks really good honestly.

2. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    This trailer went in the extremely opposite direction of the "put the whole plot of the movie in the trailer" trailers by which I mean that it tells me absolutely nothing and that's not good either.

3. Gengar

Gengar Degenerate Shrimp –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
  4. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Prestigious Tomato ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Oh fucking yes.

Edit: After looking at that tweet, there's a lot of weasel words used. Leto 'reportedly' to star (which is bullshit, get Garret Hedlund and Olivia Wilde back), studio 'hopeful' that the T:Legacy director will return, and then Daft Punk to score kind of tacked on to the end there, in a place that could be them confirmed or just 'hopeful' to score. I super doubt the robots will do it again after how Disney did them dirty last time.

At this rate, I'll believe it when I see a trailer.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2020
  5. Agayek

Agayek Dimensional Trunk DLP Supporter

I want to believe!

6. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Would be a true shame if Daft Punk isn't back. The soundtrack is the best part of Tron 2 by leaps and bounds. One of the few movie soundtracks I have in full.

7. TheWiseTomato

High Score:
    It's of a very different style, but another movie soundtrack I really dig is the recent-ish King Arthur OST, by Daniel Pemberton (who also worked on Man From U.N.C.L.E, IIRC). You should check it out.

8. KHAAAAAAAN!!

High Score:
    I saw that movie, and I don't remember being particularly moved by anything about it. But sure, I'll take another crack.

9. Gengar

High Score:
    The movie was so-so. It's very Guy Ritchie, but I still enjoyed it.

I just remember thinking how badass it looked with Arthur walking through the keep dragging Excalibur behind him.

10. TheWiseTomato

High Score:
    I wouldn't rank it amongst the great movies, but it's one of the movies that I've enjoyed the most. King Arthur is cool, Guy Ritchie is cool, KA + GR = super cool. The OST was just sugar on top.

11. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    The best thing about the King Arthur movie was the original song that crowned the soundtrack, The Devil and the Huntsman. I thought the film itself was meh.

I will give the film credit for the montage of Arthur's childhood. Very effective and slick, would've taken another director 20 minutes to tell that backstory.

12. KHAAAAAAAN!!

High Score:
    I got around to watching Hamilton on Disney+. I enjoyed the music, but I feel a bit... let down? Waaaay too overhyped.

Like... I wouldn't put it in in the same tier as Rent, or Spring Awakening, or even Wicked.

Someone who saw the live musical needs to watch it and tell me if the experience is significantly worse as a recording.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2020
  13. James

James Unspeakable

there’s also the interrogation scene, which was superbly done. Movie was imo sort of meh, but the childhood and interrogation scenes were truly glorious

14. Lumnox

Lumnox Third Year DLP Supporter

So, I'm interested in why you didn't like it? Personally, I loved it; seen it twice live, the Disney recording, and also a bootleg recording that was done earlier than Disney's, so before Lesile Odum, Jr. really started making Aaron Burr so snake-ish/adding the lisp due to the permanent smile he puts on until the end of the play. Similarly, I've seen a documentary or two on its making, and spent some time diving through musical theory youtube to better understand some of the character themes (and how much of a fucking genius Lin Manuel Miranda is).

15. KHAAAAAAAN!!

High Score:
    I didn't NOT like it. I found it more enjoyable than a lot of the musicals out there. Certainly better than Lion King and most of the Sondheims. But by no means did I feel like it really lived up to the hype around it. I thought a lot of the rap was lackluster and forgettable. The rhythms and cadence kept fucking changing and not to any pattern that I could discern, which was infuriating.

There were maybe a grand total of 4 songs that I found earwormy: the King George song, Dear Baby Yoda Theodosia, Wait for It, and the main Alexander Hamilton 'they are waiting in the wings for you' theme.

I think the thing I liked most about the whole thing wasn't the music, but the spinning rings stage layout. That is some truly excellent minimalist set design.

16. Lumnox

Lumnox Third Year DLP Supporter

So, I won't pretend to really know what I'm talking about when it comes to music theory, but what I remember from some of the analyses that I've watched is that the show did an amazing job in giving the different characters their differing voices not only through their musical themes (King George and his town cryer both have contemporary/baroque themes, the founding fathers/Americans have rap, an unconventional/rebellious sound, while Jefferson specifically has jazz influences due to his time in France), but also the different styles of rap they employ: Hamilton has a very tight, thick rapping style that is packed full of different rhymes and can be jaw-dropping in his vocal dexterity, establishing his prodigal status. In contrast, someone like Washington is very strict and militant with the timing, beats, and structure of his rap (kinda like those old marching "songs" you'd hear on a long ruck), reflecting his restrained (due the chains of leadership) nature.

Maybe this is why it seemed jarring (if this is what you meant by changing rhythms and cadences)? WSJ had a good tool that breaks down some of the different rhyming structures through the show here.

Fair enough, everyone has their own tastes. I've gone through stages with different "favorites", but when you're also considering stage performances, I think "Wait For It" and "Room Where It Happens" were goddamn magnificent and show exactly why Odum, Jr. won the Tony. Personally, my enduring favorite is "One Last Time", as it follows one of the most impressive rapping sequences in the whole show (Jefferson in "Washington On Your Side"), and Washington pining for rest feeds my Washington/Cincinnatus idealism.

Hard agree. It's use in "Non-Stop" for Angelica leaving, and then Eliza's right there was masterful. Same for the Schuyler sisters walking through Manhattan. But perhaps my favorite was it's use in "Hurricane", the choreography was so good during that scene, I forgot the stage was also spinning, but the effect it added was so, so good.

17. KHAAAAAAAN!!

High Score:
    I think that is exactly it. I applaud them for making a bold compositional choice, but I just don't think it works well when you hard switch back and forth within the same song. The multi-character raps were definitely not rhythmically tight.

I will say that Wait for It is a masterpiece. I have not been that floored since Angel's funeral 1000 kisses reprise in Rent.

18. Arthellion

Arthellion Lord of the Banned ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I really enjoyed Hamilton as did the wife.

King George was best part.

19. Nazgoose

Nazgoose The Honky-tonk ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter DLP Gold Supporter

High Score:
    I watched it with my sister last weekend and loved it. There's definitely a varied number of styles in the songs, but I disagree with KHAAAAAAAN!! about it not working. I think that's a personal preference thing more than anything that can be objectively called good or bad.

20. Gengar

High Score: