1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Upcoming Movies in 2020

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by Celestin, Jul 7, 2019.

1. Nevermind

Nevermind Headmaster

High Score:
    I think (and quite frankly, I dearly hope) that this is going to be fun.

2. Arthellion

Arthellion Lord of the Banned ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    That looks pretty epic not gonna lie.

3. douter

douter Sixth Year

High Score:
    So restrictions have lifted in Australia, and to escape the heat we've been going back to the cinema.
    First we saw the a showing of Die Hard, which I haven't seen in a long time and it was fun. Kinda was expecting it to be remastered, but oh well.

The next week we had the option of die hard 2 or Fatman, so we went with the Mel Gibson Santa movie.
    We went in very low expectations, hoping for so bad it's good or a cringe fest like KIN (which we only people in the theatre to see that trainwreck). Instead we got a very enjoyable movie, weirdly good.
    The basic plot is that Mel Gibson plays and old and tired Santa, Kris Kringle, and Walter Goggings plays a hired gun with a vendetta against Santa.

Now I went in to this completely blind, had only seen the poster, and it was one of best movies I've seen in a long time.

The vibe we got from the movie, was that the script was written as a joke but the folks who made it were completely serious. They knew exactly what type of movie they were making, never falling in to a Hollywood comedy pit and also never becoming over the top action.

It was just a really enjoyable movie and probably give it 8/10. Probably one of the best Christmas movies I've seen, save for Klaus.

4. The-Hyphenated-One

The-Hyphenated-One Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

Just got around to watching Love and Monsters last night. I thought it was fantastic. The world is amazing, the mutated insects were done extremely well and Dylan O'brien did a really solid job as the protagonist. It's got some Zombieland vibes to it, but overall it's more lighthearted.

Featuring the best dog around, Boy.

5. sage1000

sage1000 Fourth Year

I just got back from WW84.

It looked like a low budget CW episode with a plot that doesn't hold up to any form of scrutiny. The special effects are terrible and the fight scenes very cringy.

This was very disappointing, I had hoped for a decent movie but this, this was just bad.

On the upside, Kristen Wiig and Pedro Pascal did a good job.

6. MonkeyEpoxy

MonkeyEpoxy The Cursed Child DLP Supporter

Well that review of WW84 is completely contrary to all of the other ones I've read.

7. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    WW84 is one of those movies I can wait to see on HBO in 2021. I didn't love WW2017. Never felt drawn to rewatch.

8. Arthellion

High Score:
    WW84 was a very solid film. Some of the criticisms are legitimate but they are not enough to make it a “bad” movie. It definitely could have used a tighter plot.

It also has an extremely

optimistic take on humanity and their renouncing of wishes that feels out of place in 2020.

all I’m all I give it a 7.5/10. Not as good as the first which I put at a 9.5/10 but still solid fun.

9. Viewtiful

Viewtiful Groundskeeper

It is not a movie that needed to be 2 and 1/2 hours long - it's more than just not being a tight narrative, the film is 90 minutes in before they even discover what the main villain has done, and then there's another hour left.

10. Arthellion

High Score:
    Thinking of villain, Pedro pascal was top notch and I hope we get to see his face more in mando. Dude is a great actor.

11. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    Pedro Pascal slayed, but even he couldn't carry WW84. Gadot was a mess. That movie was a mess. I'd call it disappointing, but I wasn't expecting terribly much in the first place.

Just ... so many things wrong with this one. On every facet of movie-making one cares to think about. How did anyone think this movie was a good idea the way it is? Plot was not only horrible in isolation but fucks up the rest of the DC movies in the process. Impressive. I cannot stress enough how little sense the plot and many of these scenes made.
    Special effects were hilariously bad; I'll be seeing that superspeed running in my nightmares if it doesn't keep me up at night.
    Acting mostly wooden with a couple of notable exceptions. Chris Pine was good.

Still, at the very least we got to see Pascal act his heart out. Silver lining. Hopefully some of the other actors on set took some lessons.

12. Churchey

Churchey Supreme Mugwump

On WW84:
    Action felt a little corny, not quite as fluid as the prior WW or other DC entries.

Resolution scene was meh, fights in general were only okay, and the final fight was very boring. Better than Justice League and Aquaman imo

13. Stealthy

Stealthy Groundskeeper

First one was clearly better, but WW84 was decent. The action scenes were kinda lacking, especially the final fight. Pedro Pascal served up a lot of great ham and cheese, and it feels like that's the tone the movie kinda wanted/needed - especially given the resolution and being set in the 80s - but nobody else followed his lead. I dunno if Patty Jenkins just wasn't comfortable with it, or if people couldn't quite pull it off, or if they were afraid to contrast too hard with the tone of the first movie. Optimism is a wonderful thing and part of what made the first WW great, but man does that not fit the 2020 mood. And if it doesn't fit the 2020 mood, you can't do it halfway and hope the goodwill of the audience will do the rest because man do we just not have that amount of cheer. Definitely a lot of smaller tweaks to be made, but that's really the biggest thing. If you're gonna have an ending that corny and cheesy (which is fine! Totally works for Jenkins/Gadot's take on Diana), you need to commit to it throughout the movie.

Gotta wonder if the first Wonder Woman, with its 'Optimism Even At Humanity's Bleakest' thing, would be a bigger hit if it came out in 2020 or if it'd just get told to fuck off because people are all too jaded for it right now.

14. Arthellion

High Score:
    Watched Batman vs. Superman Ultimate Edition. Really enjoyed it. Fits 2020.

15. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Wow. I did not enjoy WW84. Like... at all. And I straight up loved the first one.

Gadot, Pine, and Pascal did what they could with it and gave good performances (Wig was just typical Wig), but it was a cheesy, pedantic, toilet paper script that no one at DC should have signed off on. I RENOUNCE MY WISH!!! HUR DUR, ISN'T THIS SO INSPIRING, MOVIEGOER?!!!

The laughs of the original were barely present beyond like two "Steve adjusts to the future" scenes, and the action sequences & vfx were hot garbage.

Shaking my damn head.