1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Upcoming Movies in 2021

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by Celestin, Aug 22, 2020.

1. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    While I did like that trailer, and I'm looking forward to the film, I will say I think the original trailer was better

2. Gaius

Gaius Fifth Year

huh. thanks for sharing the trailers. i had no idea that Sir Gawain and the Green Knight was being made into a film again. (i haven't seen the 1973 or 1984 versions either.)

Not sure if you have a prose summary, Thaumologist, but the poem is 2,500 lines long, so definitely a lot of material. I listened to it on Audible recently and it was a couple hours long.

The movie looks like it will deviate from the plot and feeling of the poem. Not sure how much I'll like it, but I imagine I'll check it out. Much that I enjoy about the poem is the purity of Gawain and the temptations he faces to avoid the Green Knight, to lie to his host, etc., but this looks darker/more fantastical, so not sure how much of that aspect will make it in. The tarot cards and puppet show make everything look very grim. And in so far as I recall, the Grail isn't a plot point. It makes sense to add that in I guess.

It looks better than that Beowulf adaptation 15 years ago or so, but I don't know if I have much hope for it. (That's the only medieval lit > film comparison I can think of off the top of my head right now.)

I mean the Green Knight is basically like God in the poem, are they going to stick to that?

3. Thaumologist

Thaumologist Fifth Year ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I did a short comparison, and it looks to be a translation, and definitely a neatened up one, although don't know how faithful it is. Also, 12 pages, not 8. I went and found this one, which seems to tell the same story, but with more words.

But it's more that it's a self-contained story, than anything else - we have the initial meeting, skip forward to autumn, skip forward until we hit the game, and so on. This could easily be expanded upon, but it's all filler? I'm not saying they have to stay true to the story, but there's not much else to bring in to it.

They could certainly add other aspects of stories on Gawain, bring in the Loathly Lady too. It's been ages since I dove into much, but I remember Gawain used to be one of my favourites - he was a good(ish) man, who tried his best for his King, tried to keep his honour, and was more human than the others. He doesn't want to fight his friend, until his family is killed.

4. Shinysavage

High Score:
    Just seen Godzilla vs Kong, which was breathtakingly, almost heroically ridiculous. Cool set pieces, everything else is average at absolute best.

5. Chengar Qordath

Chengar Qordath The Final Pony ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    The human parts are fine, but the movie really delivered on the literal title fight.

6. Arthellion

Arthellion Lord of the Banned ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:

Yes.

7. Quentin

Quentin First Year

European Anthem in the background is *chef's kiss*.

8. Mutton

Mutton Order Member

I feel like my life has been made worse for watching that. Just throw on the Professor Brothers instead

9. Tapi

Tapi Third Year

Pretty awesome trailer of Jean-Claude Van Damme new netflix movie

10. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    I have no idea what this is or why it's in french but god damn am I here for it.

11. Shinysavage

High Score:
    Went to see A Quiet Place 2 last night; it's pretty good, but sacrifices some of the more interesting elements of the first one in favour of more traditional (although very well done) scares and action. It also suffers from the B plot hinging on a character being really fucking stupid, albeit not entirely unsympathetically.

12. Arthellion

Arthellion Lord of the Banned ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Basically shows the whole movie, but I'm still gonna see it.

13. Shinysavage

High Score:
    Nobody, starring Bob Odenkirk and written/directed by some of the people behind John Wick, wasn't on my radar at all, but after some surprisingly good reviews I thought I'd give it a shot - a good choice. It's a lot of fun, very similar to John Wick, but with a much more standard back story and setting, and much more black comedy. Not linking any trailers because the ones I've seen have a lot of the better moments in, but if you're looking for a fairly mindless, entertaining action film, you could do a lot worse.

14. Joe

Joe The Reminiscent Exile ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter ⭐⭐⭐

High Score:
    I enjoyed this one too. The scene on the bus where he's dusting off his skills was excellent.

15. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Prestigious Tomato ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    It’s worth watching purely for the moment where his father takes care of business at the nursing home, made all the better by the actor who plays him.

16. Tapi

Tapi Third Year

Taken meets pig... have watched this 3 times still can't under stand wth movie is about

17. Dagro

Dagro DA Member

?? You said it yourself. Sounds awesome!

18. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    So...... this was actually kind of great? Or at least great in a 'turn your brain off and laugh at the sheer ridiculousness' sort of way.

19. Gengar

Gengar Degenerate Shrimp –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I am told I'm an incredibly obnoxious movie watching partner specifically because I can't turn off my brain, lmao

20. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Prestigious Tomato ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    That was uh, it was something alright.