1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Upcoming Movies in 2021

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by Celestin, Aug 22, 2020.

1. Erotic Adventures of S

Erotic Adventures of S Denarii Host

Just finished Suicide Squad. Solid 8.5/10 laugh out loud funny, right up there with GotG.

2. yargle

yargle Professor

Just got back from seeing The Green Knight.

I liked it, but I don't know what I think about it. If that makes any sense at all, which I doubt.

It's amazingly well crafted in terms of composition, score (which utilizes absence of music as well as it does the music itself) and color. It makes a lot of ballsy moves filmmaking-wise, and I wish I was more knowledgeable on both the Arthurian mythos at large and Sir Gawain and the Green Knight, which I only have hazy memories of from reading it over a decade ago.

For a rating: WTF out of Huh? Or 3.5-4.5 out of 5.

3. Steelbadger

Steelbadger Death Eater

Went to see The Suicide Squad last night. Damn. That movie had a lot of stuff going on. It was pretty funny, gleefully absurd, and was a lot of fun to watch. Elba is always great, but I was surprised by how much I liked Ratcatcher II. Nanaue was a bit disappointing. Funny as a one-note joke but didn't really bring anything else to the table for the supposed 'strongest' member of the team. Polka Dot Man was surprisingly good though.

If I had one issue with the movie, it would be that it does that thing where 'ruthless pragmatism' (Waller) gets overdone to such a ludicrous degree that the character often just comes across as stupid.

4. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Prestigious Tomato ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Also chiming in on The Suicide Squad. It was a blast to watch, with some great moments. The final scene made me shake my fist at the screen and hope that the other guy ended up in a similar situation, but I'm not holding my breath.

Regarding the Waller thing, I'm in the same boat; her characterisation was a bit weird. I'm not sure how much continuity there is from the previous film, as I'd heard it was a complete reboot but there was also a lot going on that seemed to be a direct continuation (nevermind how Harley's stand alone film fits in). My best guess is that Waller isn't in as good as a situation as she was before, should this be a proper sequel, given that she flat out murdered all the FBI agents or whatever that she was working with in the 2016 film. I could see that coming back to bite her, resulting in her situation being less tenable and more stressful.

About the only thing I can think of that would've really pushed this film up a level would be the inclusion of a few heroes in cameo roles like the first. Even something like Henry Cavill drinking a beer and seeing the same news report that Bloodsport's daughter did would have been cool.

5. Mutton

Mutton Order Member

I think what Gunn wanted to get across there is that just running the Suicide Squad totally saps you of humanity; the analysts are all making deathpools, Waller has lost any drive other than to see herself in charge, etc. Hence why only one person ends up standing up to her via sneak attack. It's not ruthless pragmatism at that point, just soul dead weariness and egotism.

Very fun film though, definitely dug into his Troma roots for it. King Shark is best bae.

6. James

James Unspeakable

Suicide squad:
    - fun
    - ratcatcher 2 was charming
    - harley was magnificent

7. fire

fire Order Member

Really loved Gunn's Suicide Squad - fun and funny, with likeable characters and cool-as-fuck action.

The DCAU Task Force X episode remains my platonic ideal of what a Suicide Squad mission should be like - nothing beats fighting the heroes and seeing (from the other side) just how intimidatingly strong they are - but Gunn's vision is still the shit. Moar please.

8. James

James Unspeakable

Watched first 20 minutes of F9: The Fast Saga or so. It's… the stupidest yet. I just closed it.

9. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    NGL, I doubt many people would pay to see a Fast and Furious movie that takes itself seriously. The only way to increase sales in this franchise is to just dial up the stupid to a previously unimagined height.

10. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Yeah. Up to FF8 I found there was a balance between how stupid those movies allowed themselves to be and some remaining shreds of taking enough of themselves seriously that it worked.

FF9 crossed into "too stupid to be enjoyable" territory for me. Also no Dwayne Johnson.

11. Mutton

Mutton Order Member

I expect them to fight Freeza or Godzilla in the next one ngl

12. James

James Unspeakable

I don't know. I actually think the "serious" parts were what bothered me most. The "family" with the least amount of chemistry in the history of fake movie "families" (gangs, …).

Like, if they completely ignored Vin Diesel and the rest of the "family", Roman included, and just made a fun spy thriller with the other characters, I could perhaps stomach some of it.

13. KHAAAAAAAN!!

High Score:
    His Family level is over 9000!!

14. Swirly Mango

Swirly Mango Seventh Year

I've actually gone through the "these movies are too stupid to even watch" phase right to enjoying the sappy family(tm) fun. I had the same experience with the John Wick saga. i.e. this plot is dumb who is dumb enough to watch this dumb plot. That view is just wrong.

The plot is dumb, it doesn't make the movies unenjoyable for what they are.

15. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362

Okay, I may or may not have creamed my pants. I don't care how cheap nostalgia tugging it is. I fucking love it. And the fucking possibilities blow my mind. Who else might we see?

16. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

Matrix's teaser.

Nicely done, especially giving you real time. Makes it more personal. Try each option. If you have patience you can try few times because it changes scenes.

17. KHAAAAAAAN!!

High Score:
    Give whoever made this teaser site a promotion.

18. KGB

KGB Headmaster

Oh hey it's Old Ted Vs the Machines.

They should have given Keanu a haircut or something, because I can't get that thought out of my head.

Perhaps they can get Alex Winters in on this and just lampoon the shit out of Wachowskis half baked philosophies.

19. crimson sun06

crimson sun06 Order Member

So. This just dropped. Cautiously optimistic

20. KHAAAAAAAN!!

High Score:
    Well, considerably less excited now. Looks to me like Neo is in his own personal hidey-hole Matrix. That is considerably less exciting to me than the rumored fulfillment of 'the "real world" was part of the simulation' ending that everyone was hoping for in Revolutions.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2021