1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Upcoming Movies in 2022

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by Arthellion, Jun 8, 2021.

1. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

Avatar is probably the biggest this year in the box office mystery. Since it's 13 years later there should be some nostalgia going on for it, but I was never under impression that it won hearts of the people and 3D is not a new thing like it was back then. At the same time, it's James Cameron's movie. The man who made the most successful movie in the box office twice, both times with people predicting they won't make much money. Not to mention he made two sequels that were just as good or even better than the original with Aliens and Terminator.

2. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Not a fan of Dances with Aliens, but I'm sure the new one will do very well. I doubt it will get to Avatar 1 levels post-inflation though, simply because Avatar 1 had the massive benefit of being the first film that truly looked good in 3D right when the 3D film craze was starting out.

Also, lingering covid fears is going to cut box-office sales just like every other film released over the last 2 years.

3. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    Avatar 1 had a lot of novelty going for it in terms of visuals that will be gone now. I say that, but the trailer absolutely took my breath away with how pretty it was, so maybe they're doubling down on making another visual masterpiece even though it's not as hard to do these days.

Still, the sequel will need an actually engaging plot and execution to try to live to the legacy of success. The good thing is that it doesn't have a high bar to clear when it comes to plot, it just need to make some degree of sense. I don't think it's meant to match Avatar 1, just do decently well.

With that said, I enjoyed the trailer. It still maintains the ability to draw the eye and catch your attention. I'm excited to see what comes of it.

Last edited: May 12, 2022
    Jax
  4. Rehio

Rehio Bad Dragon ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I wonder what happened to all those people that believed that they were Blue Alien Cat Things.

5. Drachna

Drachna Professor

High Score:
    I remember enjoying the first one way back when, but not enough for a second viewing. I think that the story was pretty silly, even when you massively suspend your disbelief, and it just coasted on spectacle for the most part. I'll probably watch this one, just for the experience, but Avatar seems to be reliant on visual world building over substantial plots and engaging characters from what I remember. The whole 'we can't breathe without masks, so let's become freaky blue aliens' was so incredibly out of left field, and I don't remember sympathising much with the 50 millionth American soldier protagonist with the shite hair cut and attitude problems. Still, despite all that, I still have some fond memories of the first one, despite only seeing it once when I was 9, so they must have done something right.

6. Jax

Jax Groundskeeper DLP Supporter

I don't disagree with you regarding story. I would even go further and say that the story is utterly uninspired, borderline plagiarism.

But in my opinion, avatar has never been about the story. Sure, its a fine journey and it frames the characters fine-ish.

But what kept me captivated, was the visuals that were absolutely revolutionary. To say they were "pretty" is objectively unfair.

Avatar was a gamechanger in every sense of the concept in terms of visuals. It's understandable if you find the story/characters/arch/setting/goals or relationships questionable. But if you try to argue that Avatar did not revolutionize cinema in 2009 - then I would appreciate some strong arguments and examples to illustrate your point.

Personally, I think that Avatar 2 is going to be a gamechanger as well, simply because it's Cameron and he didn't have to release it now - he choose to.

7. Heather_Sinclair

Heather_Sinclair Chief Warlock

So... they did the Deforestation-bad, Evil-Corporations-bad, and 'being evil to indigenous people' thing for the first movie, and now it's the ocean? Are the Evil-Corporations back? Are they dumping plastic straws in Pandora's oceans? Are there Unobtainium spills out in the ocean from Evil-Corporation Unobtainium rigs? Inquiring minds want to know.

8. Nevermind

Nevermind Headmaster

High Score:
    Watched the Chip ‘n Dale movie on Disney+ tonight and had a really good time. So many references and sight gags and just a lot of good jokes as well. I enjoyed Mulaney and Samberg’s performances, although I had the feeling that Jake Peralta was creeping into Samberg’s performances a little bit from time to time. The plot is mostly held together by the the need to get from one set-piece to the next, but I didn’t mind that for once. Bonus points for anyone who can spot Dobby.

9. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Seconding this. It was absolutely great.

10. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Saw Top Gun: Maverick.

If you have any fondness for the original at all, Maverick is a must-see. 10/10 film. Old school blockbuster like they don't make anymore - only they just did. Highly recommended.

I also highly recommend re-watching the original before you go. Not necessarily to understand what is happening - Maverick does a good job of reminding you of the key points you need to know - but more just to fully appreciate the thematic, visual and musical callbacks.

11. DR

DR Secret Squirrel –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Seeing it tomorrow. Looking forward to it!

12. DR

DR Secret Squirrel –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Update: Top Gun: Maverick is fantastic. Genuinely excellent and great fun. I was not expecting such a good film.

13. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I really hate that I have classes this weekend as well.

14. Rehio

Rehio Bad Dragon ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Everything, Everywhere, All at Once is going to be my favorite movie of all time, I think. I could watch it a few more times to actually assimilate everything, but I already feel it after once.

There are so many levels to it, and it's still all absurd. Pessimistic Nihilism vs. Optimistic Nihilism is such a good discussion to see, but maybe that's just because optimistic Nihilism has been my favored philosophy for a long time. Great insight into generational trauma as well.
    So many good things about the movie. The characters are done so well; I feel like I knew who Waymand was as a person from one of the first scenes, and it paid off amazingly later in the movie.

15. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    I also want to heap some praise on Everything, Everywhere, All At Once. I won't even try to analyze it. Just a really good movie all around with amazing acting that was a great ride start to finish.

An absolute must watch.

16. Sully

Sully Groundskeeper

Was this any good?

17. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Nope - probably Peele's weakest film so far, but that says more about Get Out and Us than it does Nope; it's still a great watch, and he's not lost his touch for stunning imagery.

Bodies Bodies Bodies - a bunch of insufferable young people get trapped in a blacked out mansion, and the Bodies begin to pile up. Biting black comedy which I really enjoyed, although ymmv depending on your feelings/tolerance for incredibly online young women.

18. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I don't normally watch horror movies because they scare me, but I might make an exception for this

(even though the last time I made an exception to watch a horror, IT Part 1 gave some trouble sleeping for a week because fuck me that was terrifying)

19. Heather_Sinclair

Heather_Sinclair Chief Warlock

Did they just gender swap pinhead?

20. MuggsieToll

MuggsieToll Seventh Year

Sort of...not really? Yes, they replaced the original Pinhead actor (Doug Bradley who is currently 68) with 44 year old actress Jamie Clayton, but Pinhead/Lead Cenobite in The Hellbound Heart (reading it right now to prep for the film) is described as being androgynous with a feminine voice and is referred to with 'it' pronouns

Last edited: Sep 25, 2022