1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Upcoming new rig questions

Discussion in 'PC Discussion' started by Ched, Jun 6, 2016.

1. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Looking at putting together a new rig before too long. Half the reason is because I hate my case, which is a horrible reason, but honestly most of the parts except for the video card (which overheats) are fine.

But screw it.

So my real question is: Which CPU do I want to go with? 6600k? 6700k? 6800k? Wait for Kaby Lake CPUs in 1-2 months? Something else? 1151 socket or 2011 socket?

I don't know what the best bang-for-the-buck is. The primary use of the computer is not gaming, though I do game on a weekly basis. I almost always have 20+ tabs of a browser open alongside a dozen Word documents and powerpoints plus tons of other programs (like Gimp) working in the background.

I'll pick up a 1070 (no need for a 1080 - if my Radeon 6850 wasn't overheating it would still be just fine).

What makes the ASUS ROG Maximus Gene VIII MoBo worth twice the cost of the ASRock Extreme 4? Both are mATX 1151 socket and at a glance look fairly similar to me.

I think I want to go with the Corsair 350D case. It's mATX and will fit in the space I want it to fit in, unlike almost every ATX case I've seen.

But I'll be going by the Houston microcenter in 2-3 days, which I normally can't do b/c it's quite a few hours away from home, and I need to sort out which CPU I want and then decide if I want to buy it (or wait).

...I really want to find a tiny ATX case somewhere and put my current cpu/mobo/ram inside it. Add a cheap hd and gpu. Then sell it or else find a use for it myself. But seriously, fuck the HAF 912 case (which to be fair is more my fault than the case's fault, but it was my first build so I harbor feelings towards it that are unfair).

2. Download

Download Auror ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    The real question is how much you want to spend.

3. Heleor

Heleor EsperJones DLP Supporter

4. Killerz187s

Killerz187s Squib

High Score:
    What exactly are you going to be using the rig for? Tons of Chrome tabs and other stuff running in the background will be a ram hog for the most part, but not much else.

What kind of budget are you working with? What is going to be the main use? That more than anything helps establish a baseline.

5. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Budget isn't really a concern. I want to pick the best CPU for standard tasks that my 965 x4 BE is still doing okay with in 2016, despite being manufactured in 2009.

Technically? I could easily toss $3k at this and have some cash left over for vacation. Do I want to? Fuck no. I'd prefer to spend around $500. But that's not feasible either. I'm expecting to spend around $1200, but the less the better.

But I'm not asking for builds. I've got most of it in mind. I use the rig for everything, and gaming is probably the most intense task. But when I say that people start trying to convince me to buy shit like the 1080, which is really just overkill (if my Radeon 6850 wasn't overheating it would still run games fine for me). The 6850 I bought in early 2011 was still running games like Shadowrun and Borderlands 2 on reasonable settings with good fps, so I am pleased.

So I didn't toss a budget out in the original post b/c I really wanted information on the CPUs. I looked it up since though, and the primary differences seem to be that the 6600k is 4 cores, no hyperthreading. The 6700k is 4 cores with hyperthreading, so 8. And the 6800k is slower clock speed but 6/12 in terms of cores/HT.

So I'll probably go with the 6700k. I can easily select everything else save the Motherboard, which I'm looking into at present. Which I'm still trying to sort out since the original post.

So in terms of gaming motherboards, what makes a $200 ASUS so superior to the $100 ASRock? On paper they look very similar, but perhaps the 'devil is in the details' and I don't know what to look for. But I damn well want to know what makes one worth so much more than a similar one, so I can make an informed decision.

At present:
    CPU: 6700k - $290 @ Microcenter
    GPU: Nvidia 1070 (not out yet, estimated cost ~$450)
    RAM: 2x 16gb. DDR4. 3200 speed. - $170
    Case: Corsair 350D - $100
    PSU: Modular. 650W or 750W. Gold+. I'll see what's available at the store. ~$100
    Hard Drives: Reusing mine from last year, Samsung 850 Pro & storage drive.
    Motherboard: Trying to get information on this. Estimate $100 for ASRock Extreme4 on the low end and $200 for the ASUS Gene VIII on the high end. Various other options in between. I need to learn what all the specs mean in terms of real world use.

Total ~$1300

That's the sort of build I come up with easily. I can afford it, no problem. But the reason I have money is because I try not to pay for shit that I don't need. It just ends up pissing me off later once I figure out that I wasted money. Or even worse when I buy something because it's $50 cheaper and realize that the upgrade would have been worth it!

I have been debating bumping up to a nicer monitor. But if I nabbed a 1440p I'd be worried about seeing text. I'm not sure if display options would let me bump Windows scaling past 200%, and I'd have to in order to read anything. So I'll probably stick with lower resolution because it's easier to see things.

Cheers.

6. Killerz187s

Killerz187s Squib

High Score:
    ASUS ROG boards usually have extra power phases, better components, and overall a lot more bells and whistles than other boards. They are great boards for sure, but if you aren't going to be overclocking and pushing things to the limit, you probably won't have to spring for one.

In real world use you might not see a difference in Mobo's honestly. Once you start overclocking and overvolting components is when you start to see differences, but it doesn't look like you'll be doing any of that.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2016