1. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice

Urban fantasy and its problems

Discussion in 'Books and Anime Discussion' started by deyas, Mar 26, 2018.

?

Is there genuinely good urban fantasy besides the last 7-8 books of the Dresden Files?

1. Yes (please, elaborate below)

16 vote(s)
    59.3%
  2. No

11 vote(s)
    40.7%
  1. BTT

BTT Headmaster

I've been reading some urban fantasy, starting with @Sigurd's recommendations.

Peter Grant was pretty good. There's a lot of focus on actually being police and on London, both of which set it apart from most other urban fantasy. Plotting is fine, characters are good (some moreso than others), and in general the only thing that annoys me is that Peter is rarely allowed to really be a badass. He figures the mysteries out fine, but when it comes to magic I'd have liked to see some more power from Peter by now. He doesn't seem that more powerful than normals, especially compared to other practitioners, who can blow up tanks and trees and whatnot. Still, easy 4/5.

Alex Verus was okay. Less of a fan than I was of Grant, to be honest, for the simple reason that the Light Council is an unbelievable bag of dicks. It's like every book, things have to get worse and worse; by this point he's far, far worse off than Dresden was at a comparable point in time. The divination is very neat, though. It gets points for that alone. 3.5/5

Nathanial Garret is shit, wouldn't recommend. It 's got shite like secretly being an assassin trained (in China!) by Merlin, having super secret blood magic marks or some shit, and being at least a thousand years old. The first book, Crimes against Magic, is mostly either flirting/banging women or engaging in action scenes; characters are forgettable and say/do what they need to make the plot make a bit of sense. Got halfway and realized I didn't want to keep reading. 2/5

Moving onto Low Town next.

2. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box Prestige

High Score:
    @BTT, how many of the Peter Grant books have you read? It takes a while, but he does start getting some properly badass moments as it goes on.

3. BTT

BTT Headmaster

Every main book, from Rivers of London to The Hanging Tree. None of the side novels.

He does get some cool moments, I don't mean to state or imply that he doesn't. It's just that Nightingale gets to show off more and more; Peter has his moments - like the whole ambulance bit - but as a practitioner of magic IIRC he seemed a bit underwhelming.

4. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box Prestige

High Score:
    Oh, that's definitely fair, Nightingale is the prime badass thus far, despite Grant's in-universe reputation for causing chaos.

5. Sigurd

Sigurd Fifth Year

@BTT, glad you liked some of the recs. I agree that Peter Grant isn't much of a heavyweight compared to other wizards even within his universe, let alone outside of it. The Peter Grant books always felt to me that they were about a cop who happened to have magic powers instead of a wizard who happens to be a cop.

And yes, the Light Council in Alex Verus is infuriating.

6. Sey

Sey Unspeakable DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Does Urban Fantasy have to be modern or just take place in a non-ancient environment. Cause, if so, Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell is freaking BRILLIANT.

7. why?

why? Seventh Year

High Score:
    Have you seen the TV series? If so, how is it?

I might give this a spin as I'm looking for a new novel to read. Thanks for reminding me.

8. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    The TV show is pretty awesome and fairly true to the book. It being a visual medium also helps deal with some of the slower parts of the story, where Clarke meanders a bit. I would recommend the TV show to anyone who enjoys fantasy stories, urban or not.

9. Zombie

Zombie John Waynes Teeth Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    TV show is great. Will second @Aekiel here. I really liked it.