1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Username Guide

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Robo Jesus, Jan 23, 2007.

Not open for further replies.
  1. Dark Minion

Dark Minion Bright Henchman DLP Supporter Retired Staff

When I joined I tried to be original, with all the (mostly Dark) Lords around here. But now, look here :( http://www.joke.co.uk/exp_prod_fancydress/1379.html

The guide is great and funny, and thus a piece of art almost like a fanfiction one-shot. Thus it would be nice to know if Robo Jesus wrote it himself, or just copied and modified it.

I seriously doubt it. I've seen it before, too, and googled it, like jap-jew (your name is original but waaaay to long), but I found it several times on the net.

The oldest version I found was posted in April 2004 at Gamingforce.com with the statement "written by Crash Landon". Is Robo Jesus the same person as Crash Landon? Gamingforce has a member named Crash Landon and also a member named Robo Jesus, so they are probably two different persons.

Meanwhile it is posted by many people on several boards, sometimes naming the source (usually pointing at Crash Landon), mostly not naming it.

Two examples:

• A user with the same birthday as that Robo Jesus of Gamingforce (April 13) posted the guide at mtgsalvation in 2005, hailed for the post by other users.
    • Similar is the link japanese-jew provided for another Robo Jesus SpaceBattles.

Both links are great examples of people spreading the guide. It's posted, forum members congratulate the poster for his wit, but the user doesn't clarify that it's not his own text. As the posting is really good, quite long, and gains attention by the other members, this is almost as bad as copy&paste fanfic-plagiarism.

I'd like to read a statement from Robo Jesus.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2007
  2. Robo Jesus

Robo Jesus High Inquisitor

I come from my lunch break to find such an interesting and valid little question here. Don't worry, I don't take offense, as you do raise a very valid question. The answer goes into the history of GFF a couple years back (before the last great server crash which took out a good 3,500+up of my forum posts there:(), under an incident known among the GFF community as the "Where are my cards, Crash Landon?" shenanigans.

Now, I'm not going to talk about the incident itself, but to sum things up, Crash owed me. During the following talks with him, I got permission to put his guide up so anywhere so long as I kept it word for word (and gave the occassional link towards some of the bands and music that Crash enjoys). Does this suffice your curiousity?:)

3. Dark Minion

Dark Minion Bright Henchman DLP Supporter Retired Staff

It does - but why didn't you name the original author neither here nor in the other two examples? It's a matter of honesty and honouring the time the author invested in the text. When you post something like this without further comment others will believe you wrote it.

This post is a great example how to quote and to give credit to the original author.

4. Amerision

Amerision Galactic Sheep Emperor DLP Supporter

[​IMG]

Beware of Sheep.

5. Randeemy

Randeemy Headmaster DLP Supporter

Am I the only one who finds that remotely depressing?

Amerision, Could that possibly be the sheep that than which nothing greater can be conceived?

6. Amerision

Amerision Galactic Sheep Emperor DLP Supporter

...Possibly.

Now bow to your lord and master for he has an awesome name.

7. Erotic Adventures of S

Erotic Adventures of S Denarii Host

*Points to his name*

That original enough for you?

8. japanese_jew

japanese_jew High Inquisitor

(And you can tell that he didn't even have to use a dictionary to find adventures!)

9. Spacks

Spacks Order Member DLP Supporter

This is a shameless attempt at copying Potter Laws.

ORIGINALITY PEOPLE!

10. Mr. Merriman

Mr. Merriman Groundskeeper

The Potter Law thread was started on 06-16-2006, 09:39 PM.

Nor is Potter Law the first of its kind. And I think I should mention that a list of elitist fanfiction rules for Harry Potter compiled by the most demanding and unforgiving community in the Potter fandom . . . has absolutely nothing to do with a well-written guide to creating usernames.

Thus, Mr. Merriman respectfully requests that Spacks please remember the ancient maxim: It is better to be silent and thought a fool, than speak and prove it. Or in this case, post and prove it.

Words to live by.

11. Spacks

Spacks Order Member DLP Supporter

All he's done is copy and pasted a guide grabbed from somewhere else, edited a bit to make it look on par to Bio's Laws in an attempt to get popular.

So I don't know how I'm stupid.

My post stands.

12. Darius

Darius 13/m/box

The Octagon - Say that to my face and not online m
    It is also better to keep your mouth closed and be though an arrogant asshole then to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

*Shakes his head in Mr. Merriman's general direction*

13. Xiph0

Xiph0 Yoda Admin

Uh... why?

Fun guide, even if it wasn't your own work, but it could all be summed up in "Be unique, don't be a fucking idiot."

Edit: Also, question, why the hell are you posting a guide that basically says "Be original" with a nick like Robo Jesus?

Last edited: Feb 1, 2007
  14. DarthBill

DarthBill The Chosen One

^ ^ Good point.

The fact is, that until you have been a member for long enough, and posted enough to be acknowledged, you will blend into the crowd no matter if you are "DARKNESS ATE MY SOUL XXX 666" or "I love furies."

And there really is no way to be completely original. Billions use the interweb. You are fooling yourself if you think you are any different from any of them.

15. k_writer

k_writer Groundskeeper

I enjoyed the post, but who needs a guide but those who feel they need to impress people? Who gives a shit about a name? Your name could be I_Luv_BritneySpears, but if you post with a modicum of intelligence and actually have something not complete shit to say then it follows you'd be a valued member of any forum, right?

I like Yarrgh because he's a smart, generally cool guy who doesn't sound like a retarded baby when he "talks" on this forum, and the same goes for a lot of other people. I learned his name because when I address him it's good for him to know that I'm talking to him. That's all there is to that for me.

K_Writer because my name is Kendra and Im a writer. That's all. I don't give two shits if it's original or not. (EDIT: this coming from someone whose username used to be danfankendra, but eh...you live you learn)

16. Xiph0

Xiph0 Yoda Admin

Oi, to be fair, I've only found one other guy using "Xipho"

<_<

17. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

I've found no one who uses Surarrin >_>

18. Warlocke

Warlocke Fourth Champion

Er... There are about 50 billion people using either Warlock or Warlocke but I kind of got tagged with that nickname when I was a four year-old and the phrase, "He's like a little warlock or something." got tossed around often enough that it stuck. Thanks mom. :rolleyes:
    One would think that an enduring love of Halloween and a rabid interest in the occult and paranormal wouldn't have been that unusual in a child that age. Go fig.

Anyway, there are at least 2,244 people in the US who share my real name so I'm not too terribly worried about how original my handle sounds. There are only so many names out there, after all. I think there are only three things I use a different handle for, one is a D&D forum, one is my vacant gmail account and the other is my deviantArt account. Pretty much everyone I know online knows me as Warlocke, though sometimes their brains delete the 'e'.

Don't worry, they say there's someone out there for everyone.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2007
  19. DarthBill

DarthBill The Chosen One

That's a lie. Love is a farce, designed by the devil, to bring pain to man and lead him to madness.

20. Darius

Darius 13/m/box

The Octagon - Say that to my face and not online m
    I have never seen another Darius Darkmon o_O

But there is a Darius on every forum.

Not open for further replies.