Vampires 101

Discussion in 'Original Fiction Discussion' started by Selethe, Jun 20, 2018.

1. Ven Arima

Ven Arima Slug Club Member

I'm sorry, I don't have much familiarity with the Discworld novels but are vampires a frequent presence in the general scope of the world? Because this is the first time I've even heard of them existing in that world.

2. CareOtters

CareOtters Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

There's a whole book about them. And they make frequent appearances as side characters in other books.

3. Odran

Odran Prisoner

I love the Lasombra (who doesn't love Abyss mysticism), but infiltrating easily? They can be detected by their lack of reflection.

4. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

The description of Vampires from QuantumBranching's "A World of Darkness Indeed" fits my idea of them best. Especially seeing how they adapt to the world being overrun with Zombies.

5. Joe's Nemesis

Joe's Nemesis High Score: 2,058 Prestige

High Score:
    I read an interesting take on vampires in a Kindle-published book. In it, vampires were a mutation gone wrong. Aliens are in a war, and one of them was sent to earth to protect/prepare earth for what was coming. When the first human was genetically recoded through nanocytes that are enegerized by the etheric plane, he came out well. However, his descendants did not. One of the deficiencies is their inability to walk in the light (whereas Michael, the original, can). Moreover, when they transform, there's a point where they can give in to the pain and if they do, they become Forsaken (wild vampires driven by hunger). If they don't, they become Nacht.

The long and short of it is that quickly in the story, we learn the main character is taken back to the source (the ship) to be changed (they only change the willing, and only only a handful have ever been changed). She, then, leads others to be fixed properly and thus, they too can walk in the light. They become Rangers and other such entities who hunt human predators until they're ready to head off into the galactic war that awaits.

It isn't the best writing and there's several places where I face palmed. However, the take was unique enough and it was entertaining enough that I read all 21 books. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B079X2HHZS?ref=series_rw_dp_labf

6. Blorcyn

Blorcyn High Inquisitor DLP Supporter DLP Silver Supporter

So I watched 'He Never Died' recently on Netflix, I think it was called. Which is essentially about a vampire, although it was never called that.

It's not a Stellar film but it is good and the main actor gives a really strong performance that basically carries the film.

The vampire in that is very low-key. As far removed from the twilight/Miranda flairgold interpretation as you can get. He doesn't die from injury, he's inhumanly strong but not to a superhero level, more like folklore strength or parents picking up cars, and he looks completely normal but is just fighting a thirst with all the tenacity of an opiate dependence. He has normal teeth even and when he eats it's messy and he stabs and injures to get at it. I found it a really good depiction because it reduced a lot of the (what I now think are) extraneous elements. He's got an overpowering addiction, he relapses and remits, he's charming but very strange and likeable, but when he gives in he's a monster. A very human sort of monster

There's a lot to work with in the Pratchett/stoker classic vampire, but I think less power on that spectrum is better than more power. It makes their struggles more compelling.

7. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I like the vampires in Preacher. Not affected by holy stuff, but can't go out in the Sun and are nearly impossible to kill. Also damn vicious in a fight.

That may just be because Cassidy is my favourite character from that show, though.