1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WIP Victoria Potter by Taure - T

Discussion in 'The Alternates' started by LinguaManiac, Nov 29, 2017.

1. LT2000

LT2000 Heir

Man sitting there throwing shade on how I played Hogwarts Legacy.

2. Cirvante

Cirvante First Year

Did you nuke the final boss with a killing curse like a proper, Taure-approved duelist, at least?

3. LT2000

LT2000 Heir

I tried. He's immune to it. :(

4. Cirvante

Cirvante First Year

Did they fix it? I've seen a few videos where it worked. Might have been modded games though.

5. Pikachu

Pikachu Banned

I just finished the first book. I thought it was really boring and not really worth my time. Victoria herself is dull and it was mostly a boring canon rehash. Honestly I have read probably a hundred better first year fics and finished in lesser words. Honestly what a waste of my time would rather have read PS again or another published novel than this if I knew it was going to be like this. Expected an AU but mostly canon rehash with pansy Susan daphne draco as friends for fem harry and mostly zero conflict. The snape challenge yawn inducing. Never seen so many words wasted writing another canon rehash. Waste of effort for both the reader and the writer. For example they shook hands year 1 by dethryl written back in 2001 was for more au and interesting than this one. Hell even the r series year 1 was far better another one written in 2001. Vincet should be an example for how to write an interesting first year and turn ps on in its head with a interesting main character of course. All those classes and lessons bored the hell out of me. Who even reads fanfic to read about classes lessons homework in harry potter and canon rehash in so many words in 2023. And the stupid challenge was getting into the other houses and finding an object lol. I'm gonna give this a 1 just because of how much a waste of time this was. Lol even your own Alexandra Potter the one where 12 year olds Daphne and Alexandra taking about giving blowjobs was more interesting than this one.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2023
  6. moribund_helix

moribund_helix Third Year

Hahahaha, loved your comment. Doesn't have much conflict, that's true, it reads more like a malory towers kind of book rather than a Harry Potter one. It has interesting ideas however and I suppose caters more to people who want to explore and be wowed by the magic. In a very HP like world that doesn't break your immersion by including weird magic systems/items etc.

It also has excellent spelling & grammar and is cohesive, automatically putting it in the top 5% of all fics.

Also, Vincet is just bad.

7. Pikachu

Pikachu Banned

Course it might be harsh but if I read a 80k word fic I expect to be entertained. I'm sorry but I wasn't.

Vincent is definitely good. I enjoyed reading sociopathic Harry.

8. soczab

soczab Professor

High Score:
    I liked this story more than I thought I would to be honest. I normally sort of eye roll at the female harry potter stories and I suspect I skipped over this one many times due to that. Mostly because most of the female HP stories tend to either feel like the gender change is just so the author can better connect to the character (i.e they are female) or some semi-creepy way to try and get Harry to hook up with male characters without it being 'gay.'

But anyway this was a pleasant surprise overall. In many ways this is an entirely different HP world, as the author clearly decided to make his own version of the magical world which while based on the books is very original. However with one or two exceptions he actually manages to pull that off and I find myself genuinely interested in his vision for wizarding society, wizarding classes, etc. Author does a particularly good job with Snape and Dumbledore. I think I see potential for him to do a similarly good job with Draco.

I especially like how the authors dealt with pureblood culture and prejudice.... a lot of subtly and realism.

A few things I wasn't wild about in the story, mostly centered around attempts to make Victoria feel different than harry that are just a bit too heavy handed (the sucking at dueling and flying for example) and some of the wild swings between competence and incompetence were a bit jarring...and a few of her sltytherin friendships feel a bit 'off' and not realistic. But these are all nit-picks.

Overall very good fic. I hope it isn't dead and would encourage anyone who is a fan of sltytherin HP fics or world building fics to give it a go even if you aren't a fan of the whole female harry stuff. I have to let it sit with me a bit longer, but i'd potentially put it in my top 5 slytherin harry fanfics. Definitely top 10.

Definitely one of the better stories i've read this year.