1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Vincenzo

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by BTT, May 3, 2021.

1. BTT

BTT Viol̀e͜n̛t͝ D̶e͡li͡g҉h̛t҉s̀ ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Vincenzo (빈센조; Binsenjo) is a 2021 South Korean television series starring Song Joong-ki as the title character. It premiered on February 20, 2021 and airs every Saturday and Sunday at 21:00. Each episode is released on Netflix in South Korea and internationally after its television broadcast.

I saw a lot of people reccing this, people I usually trust with having non-trashfire opinions like @Halt, @Testamentary, etc. I'm only on episode 1 myself, but it looks like good shit. Let's talk about it!

2. Tapi

Tapi Third Year

Loved show, just finished watching finale

3. Meerkats

Meerkats Unspeakable

I'm about halfway through.

It's a great show. It's very funny, despite what the summary might tell you. It has serious moments too and manages to walk the line between them very well. It keeps out of the melodrama that plague a lot of Kdramas so if that's something that keeps you away then don't worry.

It's very satisfying watching a stereotypically corrupt and evil company get faced with their own methods. It's great schadenfreude.

4. Otters

Otters Groundskeeper ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I'm probably 3/4 of the way through and I'm loving it. Vincenzo has peak bishonen energy and I'm here for that. He's OP in a way some might dismiss as Mary Sue, but it's a lot of fun and works with the feel and humour of the show.

5. BTT

BTT Viol̀e͜n̛t͝ D̶e͡li͡g҉h̛t҉s̀ ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Finished watching it. Good shit! Dragged a little bit in the middle and I would have liked a clearer turning point between "things go badly for the good guys" and "things go badly for the bad guys".

Couple of questions, though:
    1. Where does Vincenzo keep getting all of his money? There's got to be some limit to his bank account. Sometimes it feels like he can outspend Han-seok/Joon-woo. He wears a fresh new suit from Booralroo or however you spell it every other day, seems to have no problem dropping a shitload of cash on cars and bribes and that trip thing he organized to get the residents out of the building. At one point I was wondering why he even needed to bother with the trillion-won gold stash, since he's got more than enough anyway. In the finale he buys his own island after I thought he spent all the gold on getting the Mafia guys to fuck off. How's that work?

2. Did Han-seo (confusing that there's both a Han-seo and a Han-seok btw) really have to die? Dude's character arc was kind of weird. He goes from an arrogant himbo to a traumatized himbo to someone who attempts a pre-planned murder to a happy himbo again. I get that apparently Vincenzo's face is magic, but still. Shit didn't feel right to me. The fight in episode 19/early 20 was pretty bad, too. They just kind of wrestle badly, Han-seok shoots Cha-young in the shoulder and then Han-seo basically forces Han-seok to fatally shoot him. It feels like they suddenly decided that "hey, it's the final two episodes, we can start killing people off now!"

6. Testamentary

Testamentary First Year

High Score:
    I thoroughly enjoyed Vincenzo. It's nothing ground-breaking, but it delivers exactly what it says on the tin. I agree with the praise y'all have given, but you also have to give love to the excellent cast of villains and supporting characters. Also few things can deliver romantic tension like a kdrama, and this show is no exception.

There's a weird tonal thing in the show where Vincenzo goes from gunning fools down in his bedroom, to doing slapstick comedy bits instead of killing people, which I get is to keep it funny, but feels off sometimes.

7. Tapi

Tapi Third Year

Loved how all residents of plaza had their own hidden talents. A show to follow up if you liked Vincenzo is Taxi Driver. Similar revenge theme drama.